Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whne I start the car in a darkened garage, the lights come on (the headlight switch is always in "auto" position). When I reverse and get in the sunlight, the lights do not turn off- they remain on in bright daylight. If I switch the engine off, then on again in daylight, the lights go off. How to trouble shoot? help!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I this something new, or has it been this way since new?

When you back out of the garage is the car in the shade?

There is a built-in time delay. Have you allowed sufficient (?) time for the lights to switch off by themselves?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a new situationin my 2006 300C. No matter how bright the sun or how long it stays in the sun after backing out of the garage, the light stays on. If I switch from auto to off and then back to auto while the car is running, the light comes back on. Only when I switch off the engine, then restart while in the sun, will the light behave as it should.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
your photocell is on its way out had it happen to me to the point i ripped into my dash and pull the bugger out and replaced it with a new one problem went away.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
photocell

your photocell is on its way out had it happen to me to the point i ripped into my dash and pull the bugger out and replaced it with a new one problem went away.
How do you do this? does the photocell just pop off from the top or do you have to do major callisthenics to get to it? and where and how do you get a replacement part for this? I am determined to fix this myself.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
938 Posts
jaydee:

The sensor is fairly easy to replace.

Parts and accessories can be ordered on-line at the Mopar eStore. The Mopar eStore can be found on-line at Mopar Parts - The Official Mopar Parts eStore offered by Chrysler

If you wish to speak with a representative, you can call the eStore Hotline at 1-888-349-2298.

You may also order parts and accessories through your local dealer.

Below are the instructions out of the 2006 300C Service Manual for removal / installation of the Auto Headlamp Sensor.

Removal
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the defroster grille.
3. Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry up on the auto headlamp sensor.
4. Pull the sensor from the top of the instrument panel.
5. Disconnect the one electrical connector.

Installation:
1. Connect the one electrical connector.
2. Position the auto headlamp sensor in instrument panel and press firmly down to snap into place.
3. Install the defroster grille.
4. Connect the battery negative cable.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Thanks!

jaydee:

The sensor is fairly easy to replace.

Parts and accessories can be ordered on-line at the Mopar eStore. The Mopar eStore can be found on-line at Mopar Parts - The Official Mopar Parts eStore offered by Chrysler

If you wish to speak with a representative, you can call the eStore Hotline at 1-888-349-2298.

You may also order parts and accessories through your local dealer.

Below are the instructions out of the 2006 300C Service Manual for removal / installation of the Auto Headlamp Sensor.

Removal
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the defroster grille.
3. Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry up on the auto headlamp sensor.
4. Pull the sensor from the top of the instrument panel.
5. Disconnect the one electrical connector.

Installation:
1. Connect the one electrical connector.
2. Position the auto headlamp sensor in instrument panel and press firmly down to snap into place.
3. Install the defroster grille.
4. Connect the battery negative cable.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks Muchos! much appreciated!
Jay

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Can I have the part number for the item please- Search for Autosensor gives me a part that's in the headlamp assemby. The customer service line was not helpful either.

Thanks

Jay

·
938 Posts
Jay,

As far as I can tell from the Parts Book available to all Chrysler Parts Departments, the part is called an ATC Sun Sensor (part #4596496AA) and retails for about $30.

Its difficult to identify by just a vehicle description and without having a specific VIN number so I would suggest contacting your local Chrysler Dealer Parts Advisor with the last 8 characters of your VIN number to double check the accuracy.

Finding a dealer is simple:

A dealership locator can be found on the brand web site in the "Find a Dealer" field of the Chrysler - Official site of Chrysler cars, convertibles and minivans | Chrysler home page.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Really vin specific? 300C hemi's and 300SRT's have the same part and i highly doubt its 30 bucks, i got mine from cleavland pic a part

·
938 Posts
Thanks CoolVSRT8,

Not meaning that the part is different from other 300 models, but meaning that for some odd reason the digital parts catalog is easier to use with a VIN number.

Do you remember if the part was indeed called an ATC Sun Sensor or not?

I'm not a "Parts Expert" and is why I recommend checking with the dealer before placing an order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts