Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, this question might have been answered before but I couldn't find anything related to it. I just got a 2014 300 base model not to long ago (so excuse me for my newbie questions lol) and it has the 6 speaker alpine sound system. I know this system is equipped with an amp. I want to rip out all of the stock stuff and replace it with some quality stuff. I was curious to know where this stock amp is located. Thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
Its under the dash by the steering wheel. I would just leave it there and bypass it. No point in going through the hassle to pull it out. Nothing aftermarket isn't going to fit in there anyway.

Reactions: Jimbo87

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably gonna get a lot of hell for this but what did you mean by 'bypass'? I'm a total newbie here so please forgive me lol.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can't replace the headunit, so bypassing the amp isn't going to work. You're going to need to get something like a JBL MS8, Audiocontrol LC6i, Rockford Fosgate 3sixty, etc. that can sum the channels together and give you low-level (RCA) outputs that you can connect to an amp and then run new wire to the speakers.

Depends on what you are looking to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. Essentially I want to keep the head unit, swap the speakers, add a sub, and a new amp (if possible)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Essentially I want to keep the head unit, swap the speakers, add a sub, and a new amp (if possible)
You can replace the amp, however, you will need a summing device (or similar) as the frequencies are crossed over in the factory amp, so to get a good full signal, you need something to "put it all back together" and send to the amp.

A lot of people have just replaced the speakers and gotten better sound.

If you just want to add a sub, grab the signal from a speaker on the rear deck (those are full range IIRC), connect to an amp with high level inputs or and LOC to get the RCA's, connect the amp and you're good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ekaz! Just out of curiosity, let's say I wanted to change the speakers and add the sub, could I still keep the factory amp, or will that not be enough power?

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
Totally agree with ekaz...get an LOC (line out converter) if installing a different amp and catch the output where he indicated.

For a subwoofer you'll need a separate amplifier.

To upgrade speakers and keep the same amp, you'll want speakers that are of the same or similar specification as the amplifier. The six speaker Alpine system includes a 276 watt total output amplifier with 8 channels @ 2 ohms. Basically that means the amp puts out 34 watts at 2 ohms per channel. As long as the speakers you choose are 2 ohm speakers that will operate within a range of 20 - 40 watts they should work just fine. If you use speakers that operate above 34 watts then just be careful about turning it up too high as distortion will set in and you can clip a speaker, rendering it useless. If you use speakers that operate at 20 watts or lower, be careful not to turn it up too high as you can blow a speaker.

Infinity Reference and Infinity Kappa speakers are a great bang for the buck to consider. So are the Alpine speakers you have. I would suggest a better amp would be the first, best, step you can take to effectively upgrade the system.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
My '12 base model does not have an external amp at all. The dash speakers and front door speakers are paralleled and (obviously) carry the full frequency range. Maybe the '14s are different.

·
Registered
169 Posts
MADDOG, if I read correctly, even with upgraded speakers, I will find myself probably wanting to upgrade my amp at some point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
All line output converters pick up and amplify electrical "noise". If you want a really clean and clear signal, use Kicker KISL connectors, wire directly to your speaker cable on one end and plug the RCA end into an amp with switchable hi/lo level RCA input (such as most Kicker amps), switch to hi level on the amp and you're done. Super clean sound with no interference.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
you are going to get a lot of suggestions, but you should do this right the first time.

If you have an amp, leave it there. If you don't have an amp, which would be perhaps the best, you can get a pac-audio C2A-CHY5 (make sure it is the CHY5 as it is the only one that will work for you). This LOC will plug in at the radio and give you 2 sets of pre-amp outputs. From these add the aftermarket amps of your choice and use them to run speakers of your choice.

If you do have a stock amp, do as was suggested. Get a LOC with summing capability, such as AudioControl's LC6 or LC8, JL cleansweep with SSI, or any of the new other's that have summing capability. What you are attempting is getting a clean full range signal from the amp, that you can use to feed to any aftermarket amps of your choice, and speakers/subs of your choice.

Reactions: Jimbo87 and ekaz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Cool_V_300C! I will most defiantly take your suggestion. Can't wait to get this stuff hooked up! Thanks again to everyone else who helped out and commented on this!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an amp and used the PAC piece that Cool_V is referring to. It works perfect. I just used it to provide line level outputs for a subwoofer amp, but you could also supply signal to a better amp and supply power to upgraded speakers. You're just going to need to run new speaker wires to all those new speakers. The PAC piece works very well.

Reactions: Jimbo87

·
Registered
1 Posts
you said the rear deck speakers are full range ? i have a 2014 300S with the Beats system. which speaker front and rear , get the full range signal? anyone know?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
you said the rear deck speakers are full range ? i have a 2014 300S with the Beats system. which speaker front and rear , get the full range signal? anyone know?
only the rear deck, including the "woofer" that's between the 6x9 speakers.

everything else is crossed over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have a diagram of the 278w amp that alpine put in these? I am trying to use the summoning device and the front speakers are not full range and wanted to tap into the amp but cant figure out the colors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a diagram of the 278w amp that alpine put in these? I am trying to use the summoning device and the front speakers are not full range and wanted to tap into the amp but cant figure out the colors.
Hi Jlrustman did you find the diagram of the 278w alpine amp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts