Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14" open fishing boat with a 9.5HP motor. When I got rid of my Town Car, I got rid of my towing vehicle. I am unnecessarily nervous about adding the Chrysler Class 1 hitch to my car. the install from what I see is easy. It's my envisioned strain on the engine that worries me, even with a light load (<500lb tongue weight) with the boat I have.

Other than the hitch I would probably add a 2nd transmission cooler.

Am I worried too much since the car is rated to tow up to 2,00lbs (I think). Even if I'm towing this little boat several hundred miles up and down hills (no plans for long trips), will I be doing any long-term harm to my beauties 5.7 Hemi?

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
In a word... No. The 5.7L has plenty of power for the "long haul." LOL And the transmission will handle it too, although an additional cooler is always a good idea for people who will be "routinely" towing boats or other things around.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One nice thing is the auto stick, with the 5.7 you do have plenty of ummmph...I would keep the rpms up ...say around 3,500 rpm foing up hills. You will find a sweet spot where the engine pulls real nice.

You don't want to over rev, or lug your engine......your car should really pull it rather nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Your 5.7 Hemi will not even know that your 14 "inch" dinghy is along for the ride. Even the 2.7 would probably haul it ok.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
It's my envisioned strain on the engine that worries me............. will I be doing any long-term harm to my beauties 5.7 Hemi?
Are you seriously worried that the Hemi is too weak to tow a 14 foot boat? My Ram 1500 4x4 is rated to tow almost 9000 pounds with the same engine! Obviously the truck has a frame, transmission cooler, bigger brakes, lower gears, etc..... but you will not even notice a 14 ft boat back there! I don't think you even need to add a trans cooler unless your boat is unusually heavy for its size.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you seriously worried that the Hemi is too weak to tow a 14 foot boat? My Ram 1500 4x5 is rated to tow almost 9000 pounds with the same engine! Obviously the truck has a frame, transmission cooler, bigger brakes, lower gears, etc..... but you will not even notice a 14 ft boat back there! I don't think you even need to add a trans cooler unless your boat is unusually heavy for its size.
It's not as much seriously worried, but more stupidly anally worried. I probably already know there isn't a problem, but in my feeble mind, when I purchase an expensive piece of equipment (audio, car, etc) I have a tendancy to over baby it. This is such a case.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Plenty of Non- North american 300's tow just fine. I bet you look in the CRD and aussie forum you'll find some info...

I wouldn't worry about the physics, just the aesthetics and the mounting methods.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
It's not as much seriously worried, but more stupidly anally worried. I probably already know there isn't a problem, but in my feeble mind, when I purchase an expensive piece of equipment (audio, car, etc) I have a tendancy to over baby it. This is such a case.
Well that being the case why don't you get a more suitable tow vehicle? As we've discussed the "C" will handle your boat fine, but do you really want to pile you and your friends into the 300C after a day of fishing?

I thought it would look really cool to install a hitch on my "C" to tow my jetboat with, but it's a play boat, not a fishing boat- - and when we go to the lake we're always swimming and tubing and wakeboarding. I wouldn't want a bunch of soaking we people climing into my leather seats after a day on the lake. The stain resistant cloth in the Ram is awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts