Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals - I'm a current mustang gt owner, looking to get into the 300c club... Specifically, I am looking at a few leftover '07s that are on various lots around here. They are all still sold as new cars, but have anywhere from 300 to 5,000 miles. From what I understand, I still get all the new car warranty.

Basically, I'm looking for some opinions and advice: which of these seem like the best deal?

2 available 300c SRT design cars (driven by the dealership owner, and have 5,000 miles each). Black or silver. MSRP is roughly $40k each, I've talked the dealer down to $32k for either. I think the dealer could bring the price down more (from what I can tell, the dealer is giving me invoice pricing, minus the rebates available from Chrysler).

1 300c - this inferno red is loaded all the way up - $42k MSRP. They have quoted me $33k on this one. This only has 300 miles.

300c SRT8 - I'm looking at this one tomorrow. MSRP is $47k and they are openly quoting $36k. Not sure on the mileage - roughly 1000 miles (probably test drives and a few dealership owner miles). The think that concerns me here is highway mileage (on premium gas) and lower powertrain warranty. I drive 20k miles / yr mostly highway, and don't want to have the tranny crap out on me at 50k miles or something...

I am leaning toward the SRT design if I can talk them down... but if the SRT8 is nice tomorrow, and they come down to the price of the others, you never know... :pat:

any input?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Can't help you with prices, but from the sounds of it the SRT8 is not for you. I'm not saying the car couldn't easily do 20,000 a year, but the increased cost is quite a lot higher.

If the SRT8 has F1's, you can't rotate the tires and can expect them to only last 10-14K miles. Then there's the increased cost of 91 octane and the Mobile 1 0-40 synthetic oil it requires.

You get several nice upgrades from the 300C with the Design Group, plus an extra 10HP (350). It's the same as the Daytona R/T, meaning a high speed engine controler, suspension, exhaust and intake. You'll also have the benefit of having MDS.

Bernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was thinking - I hadn't focused on the tire wear - only the gas mileage and higher cost of premium vs 89... I guess that would also push me in favor of the c or c-srt design. I use mobil1 synth oil with all my cars, so that probably won't be a difference maker.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can get a 'used' 2007 300c a lot cheaper. The bottom has fallen out of the market if you can stomach a used one with 15-20k miles. Not sure where you live, but those are going for $20k-$21k here in Minneapolis. We bought my wife's Touring for $16k with only 5,000 miles on it. Happy Hunting!:arms:

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Our 300C gets 23-24 mpg on the highway... best I've ever had was 26.4 mpg going over mountains (read power to go up grade at 8-9 mpg, lots of miles downhill taking almost no gas). The MSRT8 gets 22+ MPG doing the same thing with lots more power and no MDS. SO... IMO the difference in cost for 20k miles isn't going to be that much, unless a lot of it is stop/go urban rush (actually no rush) hour.

However, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either an SRT Design, or an SRT8. Doubt very much that you'll get the SRT8 down to the price of the others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the 20k is probably 1/4 commuting to work (a little stop & go...) and 3/4 cruising down the flat highway in Ohio. I get 15 or so on the commute in my Mustang, and 23-24 on my highway trips (70-80 mph..)

I'm sure either would have plenty of power - but it would be pretty cool to have the SRT... I'll have to see how I like the test drive tomorrow. Are used SRT8's the way to go - or should I look for a new one? Also - what is your input about the tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
..go used with a good warranty and then mod the hell out of it with the 10 g's saved,then post pics and quarter mile times.:biggrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL - Been down the modding road before - I had a 96 Cobra convertible that I got into the 11's with a supercharger - not sure I care that much about true 1/4 mile times, and I need this car to be dependible.

I do like the way some of those HID headlamps and LED taillamps look though...

Does anyone have info on SRT wheels and tire wear? - not too interested in putting new tires on every 10k miles.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
LOL - Been down the modding road before - I had a 96 Cobra convertible that I got into the 11's with a supercharger - not sure I care that much about true 1/4 mile times, and I need this car to be dependible.

I do like the way some of those HID headlamps and LED taillamps look though...

Does anyone have info on SRT wheels and tire wear? - not too interested in putting new tires on every 10k miles.
I'd suggest looking for the All Season RSA's then. They're the optional tire for the SRT8 depending where you live. What I mean is in Canada the F1's are optional. Both are no extra charge. F1's are STRICTLY 3 season, meaning below 30 degrees they are dangerous and definately unsuitable for snow & ice.

The F1's are 255/45/20 for the rear and 245/45/20 for the front.

The RSA's are 245/45/20 both front & rear. At least with those you'd be able to rotate them.

Of course there are other tires available now.

Bernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well - test drove a different SRT8... one at the local carmax. 2006, off lease and with 12k miles. I would have done the deal, but 1) one or more of the tires / wheels are badly unbalanced, 2) it unfortunately has SRT "design" wheels rather than SRT8 wheels. Glad I caught that from my hours looking at SRT8s... Finally, I think they want too much. It's $29,900 on the lot, and carmax advertises that they are "no haggle" which means they won't budge.

So, still looking. I will say that the sound and throttle responsiveness of the SRT8 is head and shoulders above the 300c - very tempting. Also, I checked the trip computer -average MPG is 12.1 (no telling last time it was reset).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts