Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

The last week or so there's been a horrendous rattle from somwhere under the car on the driver's side. It's only bad when travelling at normal town speeds, anything very slow or motorway fast is fine.

I initially checked under the car (just on my knees), but nothing was hanging down or loose. I finally got some time to jack the car up, and found that the noise is from the front wheel.

I thought initially it was the pads that are down to the metal, but looking at the back of the wheel I found the metal plate that sits behind the brake disc had come loose.

These are the pics:

Hope this is clear - you can see the plate with the holes in which is loose as I turned it for each pic.

My questions are:
  • Anyone ever had this before?
  • Anyone know what this part is called so I can explain to someone if I need to buy a new one?
  • How would I go about replacing it? Looks like I need to take the disc off which I've never done before.
  • How much roughly would this cost to fix from a garage?

My car is still under warranty but it's franchised dealer warranty from RAC so I'm sure they'll try everything to get out of it, even though the T&Cs state it's covered. I'll be at my local garage on Monday to ask but wanted some peace of mind over the weekend!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
They are dust shields. If they wont pay for a new one get a pair of tin snips and cut them off they are not needed and are well known for cracking or rotting round the mounting holes. Remove the bolts that attach them aswell.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
They are called stone guards but don't serve any real purpose, majority of owners just snip them off, however if you would prefer to keep them you could fit a washer under the fixing bolts or fit new guards.

·
Registered
699 Posts
New guards appear on ebay from time to time, but Ive just fitted big washers to the standard bolts.

I think they are more than just a stone guard, Chrysler PT Cruisers are not fitted with full guards, but have small tin guards around the Trackrod End and ball Joint, if you replace either without the guards, the joints over heat and the rubber gaiters melt.

Picture showing the heat guard on a PT Track Rod End and ABS pick up (painted red)

300c Track Rod End, Closer to the disc than the PT's, as are the other ball joints, hence the heat shield

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't think they were that important, but I will probably replace it either way.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Very interesting comments from everyone.
I know previous posts about this concluded the best way was to just remove the shields and not replace as they were there as stone guards.

I now clearly believe from the above comments that the shield is for heat protection of the "joint boots" and I would not want just to cut them off if they could be refitted using big washers or similar.

Thanks. (I've just got to try and remeber this if I ever get a problem)

Jack

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
They are only a stone guard, track rod ends and ball joints are out in the airflo and there is nowhere near enough heat to melt rubber,
If you take a logical look at it the wheel bearing seals and caliper seals and dust covers are within millimetres of the disc and enclosed so if anything is going to melt it would be those, but they don't and they get far hotter.
And then there is turbo oil seals etc................:eek:uttahere

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
I would have no worries about removing my brake back plates when the fall off. I can't see the heat causing to much of an issue over a long period and lets face it the ball joints and track rod ends will probably wear out long long before the rubbers fail. Mine has had track rod ends every 20k ish and bottom ball joints at approx 30k :wink:

·
Registered
699 Posts

This TRE came off a 08, 56,000 miler, rubber nearest the disc is dry and chrispy

You can scrape the rubber off with you finger nail

Note dry flakes of rubber falling off, I could have stuck my finger through the rubber it was that thin.
I changed both TRE's, both sides had no Heat Shields,only one was like this, but then again I don't know the history of the TRE's on this car and how many times they have failed.

If this was only a stone guard why doesn't it go right round the disc. If you look at my earlier post in the last picture, you can see that the shield is shaped around the TRE......To protect it......from heat

Caliper seals and bearing seals are designed to cope with heat, but it appears ball joints and their gaiters (and possibly the ABS wiring/sensor) are not. While you are moving I agree that that the airflow will keep them cool, but when you are stopped or leave the car after a run, I think its then that the damage is done.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wheel off, caliper and cage off, disc off, then hub off

just noticed g1smo is selling the shields on ebay and so is magnumauto

I'd put a good coat of grease around the mounting bolts as its the differing metals used thats causing the rot

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, mine is off for now. I had to take it off as it was rattling so much.

I'm looking to now replace, anyone got a guide on how to do this?

Also looking at my pads and they need changing too, however, I went to take the wheel off with my 19mm wrench and it didn't fit the nuts. Anyone know what size I should be getting?

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
brake shield

had to stop and make a repair at side of road on sunday 2 cable ties through holes and around back of shield held on fine and fixed today with three washers as good as new

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine corroded around the bolts and eventually fell down. Made a terrible noise. Just got the garage to cut them off and didn't bother replacing them. Quoted £9 each for the dust shields and about £200 to fit them !!! Lol yeah right....they're not going to be replaced lol

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
OK, mine is off for now. I had to take it off as it was rattling so much.

I'm looking to now replace, anyone got a guide on how to do this?

Also looking at my pads and they need changing too, however, I went to take the wheel off with my 19mm wrench and it didn't fit the nuts. Anyone know what size I should be getting?

Thanks
19mm is for Startech wheel nuts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts