Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 07 keeps giving me a loose/missing gas cap code, The gas cap is fine, any ideas where to look? Please and thank you, I know it isn't a big deal but any one code no matter how trivial it is, is one code too many.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I think error codes are not an end of diagnostics, but rather the beginning. I have not diagnosed my own 300's faults because I have seen almost none. But my wag is that an air leak anywhere in your fuel system would cause that same fault.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Try a new cap first, or inspect the current one and insure it is sealing properly. It is one of the four integral components of the Evaporative Emissions System. These components are the Gas Cap, the Vapor Leak Detection Pump, the Purge Solenoid and the Charcoal Canister. If that system is not functioning properly (and you live in a smog nazi state) you could possibly fail the emissions test due to Evaporative System Emissions Readiness Monitor not showing "ready". This system insures that there are no fuel vapors leaking into the atmosphere and all vapors are absorbed by the charcoal canister or burned off in the engine when the purge valve is cycling. It doesn't take much of a leak to cause a problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be nice if it was as easy as the gas cap. I took the one from the 07 and put it on my 06, no code. Can't do it the other way because the 06 cap is attached, the 07 not being so might point to someone trying that before I got the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts