Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as I was about to run out of warranty, I noticed a gap (about 5 mm) between the rear bumper and frame on my 2005 300C. The bumper moved up and down a bit if I pushed on it, and by pushing up, I could make the gap disappear. Ergo, loose bumper.

I took it in to the dealer, and they said there is a service bulletin for this issue. Two bolts need to be replaced. They said they will take care of it, but have to order the bolts, they do not have them in stock.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
It's rather well known. There's a do-it-yourself thread somewhere. Mine's starting to have a gap. I'm out of warranty but will probably call the stealership to see if they'll do the TSB. If not, I'll do-it-myself once the weather breaks.

Forget that I ever mentioned going to the stealership. I had 1" aluminum angle on hand, and picked up the 1/4" x 1" (more than long enough) carriage bolts, hexnuts (stainless steel nylocs no less), 1/4" x 1-1/4" fender washers, and 3/4" diameter self-adhesive plastic pads at Home Depot while I was there for something else. I drilled the hole at 9/32" diameter, and hammered the carriage bolt into the somewhat undersized (for the square shank of the bolt) hole so that the bolt wouldn't turn as I tightened the locknut.

HINT: Cant the rear end of the angle outward so that it gets as close to the inside wall of the bumper fascia as possible so that the lift provided best closes the gap.

Lookin' good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Chrysler TSB did not fix my sagging bumper. The Jerry M TSB fixed it perfectly, as described in this thread.

Thanks, everyone, for pointing this out. I just got my 300C and am not up to speed on all the TSBs etc, but that is why we have the forum. Now I feel much more confident discussing this issue with the service advisor at the dealership. I am hoping that the home-brewed TSB has been around long enough that the body shop folks know about it, but I will find out tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts