Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi people, and sorry for missing the event at New Lanark on Sunday.

I joined here last week, and took delivery of a year old 300 CRD on Friday last. So far, I have no user manual, as, according to the dealer, "it's in the post". So I don't feel too guilty about playing dumb and asking daft questions, as I cannot "rtfm". Yet.

Lots of appreciation from me to anyone who can answer any, some or all of these ....

1. Auto light settings in EVIC. Did we ever come to a conclusion whether changing these has any effect ?

2. Auto lights AND auto wipers. Is this possible ? or, do they both work independently, and come on more or less at the same time ??

3. Auto stick. Flipping this to manual shows me a "4" in the gear display. Flicking the lever back and forth certainly changes the number in the display, but does not appear to have much effect on the gearbox, except on the overrun. My previous 5 series worked "out the tin", so am I missing something obvious, or is there a secret button or switch ??

4. EVIC MPG meter shows me an instantaneous bar, an AVERAGE digital reading and an INSTANTANEOUS reading. What does the AVERAGE reading mean, as I cannot figure out how to reset it to zero, and I don't know when it started "counting" ?

5. Rear park assist. How do I know this either is or is not working ? (Short of bashing into a wall in reverse). What warning does it give ?

6. Seat memory on door open. Does this move to the Memory 1 setting ? Or, can I select either 1 or 2 setting ?

7. Washer bottle capacity. Does anyone know how big the bottle is ? Is there only one bottle for windscreen, headlights and rear screen, or are there separate bottles which I have not found ?

8. Light cluster condensation. I have condensation in both front fogs. Is this normal, or should I jump up and down at the dealer ?

9. Rear view mirror. On the lower edge there is a little green light, an on/off switch and what looks like some kind of sensor. Pressing the switch turns the green light on and off, but has no other visible effect. Does it have a useful function, or is it just for amusement ?

10. Last, but not least. Spare wheel. The cars I looked at in the showroom had spacesaver spares. (CRD Touring). My year old car has a puncture repair kit. Should I have a spare wheel, and has anyone used the puncture repair kit in anger ?

11. Servicing. Am I right in thinking that the car needs a service every 12500 miles ? Or, does it do variable interval servicing like Beemers and VWs ?

Okay - I think that this is sufficient insult to your intelligences for now. I can hear you all muttering "what a numpty" and "what planet does this guy live on - has he no brain?"

I'm very pleasantly surprised to see the number of UK owners on here, and especially the number of Scottish owners. Like most others, I suspect, I "discovered" these cars by hiring them in the USofA on holiday. Just a shame that we can't buy a diesel, UK spec, car at US dollar prices !! Last August in Florida, I saw some well specced year old Hemis on a forecourt at around $25k - around £13k. Sob, sob. The dealer said that he would sell me a new, loaded Hemi for $42k. I suppose that various taxes, and freight and duty and VAT and more Gordon Brown extortion would be payable to get it over here, but even so ... £21k for a brand new Hemi.

Right. Now that it's dark here, I'm off to play with my headlights.

cheers

Z

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi people.

3. Auto stick. Flipping this to manual shows me a "4" in the gear display. Flicking the lever back and forth certainly changes the number in the display, but does not appear to have much effect on the gearbox, except on the overrun. My previous 5 series worked "out the tin", so am I missing something obvious, or is there a secret button or switch ??

4. EVIC MPG meter shows me an instantaneous bar, an AVERAGE digital reading and an INSTANTANEOUS reading. What does the AVERAGE reading mean, as I cannot figure out how to reset it to zero, and I don't know when it started "counting" ?

5. Rear park assist. How do I know this either is or is not working ? (Short of bashing into a wall in reverse). What warning does it give ?

Welcome Zorro01!

I can't answer much of this, other than 5.
As soon as you put it into reverse, 1 amber light on each side of the black plastic oval thing you can see in the rear view mirror will light up.
I wondered this too, as I didn't hear or see anything when I first got mine.
It turned out the stupid this was off!!
That could have been costly.

If you don't see these lights, you can turn them on in the personal settings.

Don't know about 4 - It sounds different to my version.
I only get the instantaneous reading if i'm in the hidden ( hold Music Note + Navigation buttons for 10 secs) menu.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
1. we came to the conclusion it did I believe, I am actually buying a switch with an A position on it for mine for £38, waiting for it to come

3. my auto stick not only changes the the number in the display it changes the gears as well, its so simple I dont know how you could be doing it wrong !

4. the instantaneous and average readings on the bar are in the easter egg, go to the regular menus and next to the trip A and trip B, you will find the average fuel consumption which you reset by pressing the right hand arrow on the steering wheel.
easter egg fuel consumption on mine is US GAL, regular menu is IMP GAL

5. look in the mirror

9. green light on dims mirror at night from peeps dazzling you

10. my car new on 1st april 2008 has a spare wheel

11. there are 2 service schedules A + B, 12500 is for longer drives less starts etc. the other one is every 6000 I think, I will be doing 12500

elpirata

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I shall try to answer some:

1.some older model doesn't have auto light function, but one can do it. There is a thread in Aussie Forum about this, or get in touch with "Murphy the Cat."

2 Auto wipe? Are you refering to rainsensing wiper? If so, it works independantly to Auto light.

3.Auto stick, I think it works with the speed, the number shown on the dash is the highest gear available but not necessary is the gear which your car is travelling.

4 Average fuel reading gives you the average mpg since you last reset the thing. visa versa, instant reading gives the mpg at current driving.

5.Mine is a saloon which has two row of lights in the ceiling at the back. When reversing, the lights (yellow) will come on, from 1 to 5 (not quite sure how many) depends how close the object is behind the car. Just before you actually hit the object, the last two red lights will come on with beeping noise.

6.Original seating, mirror positions are set with individual keys (2), so when you use key 1 to open the car, the seat will go to key 1 position, visa versa. You can reset the position by the "S" button.

7.As I said, I've got a saloon. the bottle cracked and replaced under warranty on mine.

8.No, it is not normal to have condensation in the fog lamp. I think there is thread about this somewhere.

9.Leaving the green light on, anti-dazzle thingy.

10. CRD and Hemi has space saver spare wheel, SRT 8 has puncture repair kit only. Don't know about Touring.

11. Lucky you UK members, my dealear insist that I service my CRD every 10,000 km (6,000 miles). Do get your own engine oil, make sure it is 5w-30. it takes 9.5 liter per change. (Dealer either charge a lot $$$ or put in the wrong oil)

Hope this help.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
my tranny shows 1-5,not 1-4,ha hah,thats due to the reprogramming the Predator does to the tranny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much to you all for this.

I'll go and play with my gearbox now.

What's a Predator ? Is it a Go-faster chip ?

cheers

Z

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
yeah,unfortunately only available for petrol models(they do one for the 3.5 V6 now too)

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Only the one washer bottle Zorro - takes around a gallon as I have filled mine up with a gallon container of pre-prepared screen wash from the supermarket. Your misting is a cause of complaint but generally if they switch on and leave the lights on for a period of time and the misting clears they won't replace - but if it doesn't then they will.
No such thing as a daft question here - we all had to start somewhere. Keep enjoying it.
Cheers John

·
Registered
176 Posts
I shall try to answer some:

10. CRD and Hemi has space saver spare wheel, SRT 8 has puncture repair kit only. Don't know about Touring.

Hope this help.
Touring Hemi has space saver.
G.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my tranny shows 1-5,not 1-4,ha hah,thats due to the reprogramming the Predator does to the tranny
UK CHRYSLER 300C
This Predator - how much fun is it? I wondered if I should consider one.

Greenheugh

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
UK CHRYSLER 300C
This Predator - how much fun is it? I wondered if I should consider one.

Greenheugh
How much fun is it,put one hand behind your back the other outstretched as far as you can,thats how much fun it is.Its available from the states at about $400,reprogrammes the engine,reprogrammes the tranny,makes the shifts harder,you can alter the rev limiter,alter the speed limiter,too much to mention here but you can factory reset the ECU so when it goes back to stealerships know one knows.go to DiabloSport :: Gas and Diesel Tuning Systems and have a looksee:sasmokin:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ray, if I have one minor gripe about my 300 it's the gearbox. I choose to drive the car in a sedate but quick manner and I find that if I want to overtake and drop a gear the computer always gets its nickers in a twist and drops too many gears too quickly, pushing me up towards 4500-5000rpm. If I demanded full throttle I could understand this, but it seems to be all or nothing even when increasing the throttle pedal position gently. I can feel the smooth change in power output but there is a point where the gearbox ecu says "ok, go for it!" and drops too many gears. Would the predator help with this?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Ray, if I have one minor gripe about my 300 it's the gearbox. I choose to drive the car in a sedate but quick manner and I find that if I want to overtake and drop a gear the computer always gets its nickers in a twist and drops too many gears too quickly, pushing me up towards 4500-5000rpm. If I demanded full throttle I could understand this, but it seems to be all or nothing even when increasing the throttle pedal position gently. I can feel the smooth change in power output but there is a point where the gearbox ecu says "ok, go for it!" and drops too many gears. Would the predator help with this?
not a chance Badger.lol.It makes it worse,read better in my case.
I have had my "C" for nearly 3 years now and I have learnt to use the "manual" mode if I want to short shift or stay in a particular gear etc.,I find even with the predator if I (bikers term,being a biker too) roll on the throttle instead of sort of burying it, makes the tranny change smoother but even doing that,depending on your revs/speed etc it catches me out.
My wife doesnt like being in the "C"(she does really,she doesnt like the power delivery) as she calls it the roller coaster ride from hell.(wimp),e.g.yesterday taking my son to Brum Hospital,we entered the mway slip road doing about 50mph,I barely touched the throttle and "BAM" she was off on one(and the car),seems to me you need to drive the car in granny mode for a week and dont pull fuse 11 then drive it normally,it shouldnt be so responsive after a week or so after the ECU recognises the way its been driven.Downside to that is,if Mr Audi/BMW/Merc wants to try it on you will lose,pull the fuse and you will win,it all depends on what you really want,the predator will not give you that,its a performance reprogrammer:sasmokin:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmm.. all I want is to be able to roll on the throttle and have it drop from, say, 5th to 4th or 3rd as I feed it in - not straight to 2nd as it does just now. :scared:
I find that even when in manual mode the gearbox still overrides me and drops down below the gear I have selected as I feed in the throttle. :twak:
I did the throttle pot cal procedure but that made absolutely no difference.

On the other hand, I suppose the predator would firm up the shifts a bit which would certainly be welcome, and I take it the change points would remain the same under part throttle granny-mode driving? Also, a bit more ignition advance would certainly help seeing as it's running on roughly 110 octane LPG....? The extra advance at part throttle cruise would probably help the economy when sitting at a steady 60-ish as well. :)

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
with the predator you an programme the tranny to stay in the chosen gear when in "manual"but you have to remember to change up manually,or down if thats the case.I can feed my throttle in so it only changes down 1 gear,unless there is something wrong with your tranny programming or could it be your LPG conversion playin tricks with the ECU??just a thought(I've never messed with LPG,so what do I know)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

4. the instantaneous and average readings on the bar are in the easter egg, go to the regular menus and next to the trip A and trip B, you will find the average fuel consumption which you reset by pressing the right hand arrow on the steering wheel.
easter egg fuel consumption on mine is US GAL, regular menu is IMP GAL

elpirata
Is it true that the instantaneous MPG reading in the Evic easter egg is US GAL? On a drive today I noticed the highest instantaneous MPG reading my car would go to was 44.9mpg. Would that mean 53.9mpg UK?

Cheers guys,

·
Registered
315 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe the easter egg gives a US gallons readout and the main EVIC is Imperial.

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey propus

Is it true that the instantaneous MPG reading in the Evic easter egg is US GAL? On a drive today I noticed the highest instantaneous MPG reading my car would go to was 44.9mpg. Would that mean 53.9mpg UK?
if you cross check the Easter egg against the regular EVIC for the Average fuel consumption you will see that if the easter egg says 25.0, regular EVIC is 30.0. if easter egg average is 30.0, EVIC says 36.0, there is a 20% difference.

you will also notice that the regular EVIC as it changes occassionally skips 0.1, so for example it will go from maybe 35.6 to 35.8, that is because it is taking the easter egg figure and adding 20% for the imperial conversion and rounding errors will miss out certain decimals.

some exact figures will NEVER appear on EVIC but all figures can appear on easter egg. (I know I am so sad i have spent hours studying what happens, as a result of having done 13000 miles in 5 months and 2 weeks !)

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
I think we went through the spare tyre saga last month with Pizzajohn (I Think?)
It turned out that Chrysler supplied whatever they had at the time of build on the CRD models whether it be a spare wheel or tyre goo, even though the hand book stated not to use the stuff if you had TPM (tyre pressure monitoring) as it would damage the sensors.

I think the dealer swapped to goo on Pizzajohn's car to a wheel and jack.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts