Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We started getting a clicking noise that comes/goes in our 2006 300 touring. The best I can describe it is it sound like a turn signal indicator, but louder. Sometimes it starts then stops quickly. Other times, it continues until you turn off the engine then when you restart, it may be gone, till later. It seems to be coming from the left driver side of the dash. Maybe fan ? Maybe speedometer or tach ?

I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow, but already dread the "can't find anything" result.

It's not a simple rattle. Anyone ever heard of anything like this ?

Thanks.

OOPS...sorry I posted this in wrong area. Can a mod person kindly move it to proper area? Thank you and sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the car is in the shop today. During the 2 mile drive to the dealer, it made no clicking noise (of course right !! LOL). I was explaining the noise to the service writer, and voila, it started making the noise, so he got to hear it. Of course, he said he never heard anything like that, but suspects it's an
actuator. Haven't heard back from them yet.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Never heard of any clicking noise from the dash. Hopefully there able to fix it, let us know what it was.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I had a rattling noise from my right side of the dash in my 05 Limited.After 2hrs I found out the problem,it was the dash near the windsheild that was hitting the windsheild and I just put a piece of foam there where no one can see it and the noise stopped.I didnt want to bring the car to the dealer to hear the bull sh*t.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The end of day 1 at the dealer:
Service dept. says they have the dash taken apart, they hear the noise, sometimes, but it goes away before they find anything. This is gonna be fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are probley going to find something thats not under warranty of course.
I hadn't even considered it to be non-warranty. 1) Car is less then 36 months. 2) Car has less then 36K miles. 3) It's clearly (too me) something electrical, not a rattle. Think, a turn signal indicator clicking noise , only louder and faster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: They found it's an actuator for the HVAC.
Ordering part. And it's warranty covered....whew...

Being the pessimist:
When they put the dash back together, (I would dread
looking at it apart), I'm sure things will rattle, crick,
shake, you name it !! LOL

·
Registered
408 Posts
Suggest you get documentation of what was wrong as some of the gremlins may crop up when they put everything back together and you need to be protected. Not doubting the integrity of the dealer but just suggesting a little bit of caution may be necessary if problems arise from dash being pulled. Hope your all fixed up though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Update: They found it's an actuator for the HVAC.
Ordering part. And it's warranty covered....whew...

Being the pessimist:
When they put the dash back together, (I would dread
looking at it apart), I'm sure things will rattle, crick,
shake, you name it !! LOL
Nice. Glad to here its getting resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here's the update.

The actuator came in. They put it in. The loud clicking noise is
still there. They now have ordered an HVAC some kind of control
box. It will be in next Wednesday, so we have a long weekend, then
til Wednesday to wait. So they are putting the dash back together
so we can have a car to use til then. They wouldn't give us a loaner
under the original 3yr/36 mo. warranty which we are under.

Great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here's the latest....

They installed a complete HVAC controller box, whatever that is. We picked it up this morning, 6/2. The original visit to the dealer service was 5/20. So
nearly two weeks later, we'll see... We've only driven the car about 2 miles, with no clicking, so very early to tell.

So maybe that will help save some time if anyone ever hears a loud clicking noise behind the dash.

Wish me luck !! :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
So maybe the original problem was an electronic one in the HVAC control box, thus triggering the actuator? Hope it's all worked out now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You got lucky. Congratulations!!! Normally, dealerships hire only deaf people, or at least people who are deaf from 7:00 to 4:00.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It took a while. I was concerned with all the new rattles I might have after they took apart so much of the dashboard, including steering wheel and gear shifter. So far, it's been fine, quiet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey, so, i'm having this same ticking problem right now on my 2006 chrysler 300 touring. It used to be that it would only do it for a few seconds when I first was pulling out of my garage in the morning (would start about 10 seconds after turning the car on and moving, and would last about 5-10 seconds normally and then stop) but today it actually lasted a solid two minutes until I got to a stop light and was able to turn my car off and back on. Never did it again the whole ride to work (about 45 minutes). It has only ever done it right when I first start the car and then stops. Did anyone on this thread ever find out what the true problem is, or if the actuator and HVAC controller box replacements fixed the ticking noise? Also, how much does all this cost to repair/replace?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting the same "ticking" sound. Only happens for short period of time each time I start the car or when I change the settings on the heat/AC. Definitely under the dash inside the car.

Help would be greatly appreciated. 2006 300c 3.5

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it was fixed

I'm the original poster, and the HVAC control box fixed the problem.
I don't know how much it would have cost if not under warranty, but
as I mentioned above, they had to take the dash apart. Never had
any problems after that. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts