Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....I certainly would think the 300C SRT8 was a great candidate, but I think my nod would go towards a used '03+ AMG E55.

OMG can they be had for cheap

~50k miles for $32k or less and better interior and performance of even an '08 SRT8 .

Discuss.

·
Registered
224 Posts
But then you gotta fight to find an extended warranty, which no one wants to give you because the cost of maintenance is out of control and things such as the intercooler pump wont stop breaking. However, the E55 is one amazing piece of machinery. I was looking at getting one at the end of the summer after trading in my 300C but I don't know if I can afford the potential maintenance risk that comes with owning that beast, now it looks like I'm gonna have to go with an SUV, possibly an Escalade.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But then you gotta fight to find an extended warranty, which no one wants to give you because the cost of maintenance is out of control and things such as the intercooler pump wont stop breaking.

Very good points benro$$. Maintenance should definitely be considered.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
....I certainly would think the 300C SRT8 was a great candidate, but I think my nod would go towards a used '03+ AMG E55.

OMG can they be had for cheap

~50k miles for $32k or less and better interior and performance of even an '08 SRT8 .

Discuss.
You have the same feeling as I do. I found a used 05 E55 AMG in perfect condition. It was never touched as far as performance add ons and was maintained perfectly. It had 31,000 miles and I could have bought it for $37,200. The only thing I did not like about it was the light silver paint. I think Mercedes got a hell of a deal on that silver paint, because 90% of their cars are that color.

I was going to buy it and then put my SRT up for sale...then I looked back at ol' Sheeba and I just couldn't do it. Not only that, but that circa of Mercedes are starting to look dated, IMO.

Now after buying my wife a Mercedes I will most likely buy a Mercedes next time around. Boy do they drive nice!

Moose.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
My boss drives an 06 E55 AMG and OMG the thing is a beast!! The prices over here are crazy though:

Are you sitting down.....................

He paid $212,000 Aussie dollars for it and would probably get $130-150K for it today. It has done 30,000km.

You guys get your cars so cheap over there. We get screwed to the wall over here.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I think Mercedes got a hell of a deal on that silver paint, because 90% of their cars are that color.

LMFAO it's true. Most mercedes are either silver or white here. :twak:

Thankfully that isn't (yet) the case with 300s - I think the majority of them in our town are v6s with a clear vanilla paint job.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
merc

I would agree that the Merc offers a unique feel to the driving experience. The Germans have figured out the best ride/handling compromise. They make a car handle well without a harsh ride.

BUT, having owned them in the past, I would not buy one used unless it was the only car on earth. You'd better have DEEEEEP pockets for repairs, as there are few cars that cost like a Merc when it comes to repairs.

And they'll need 'em, lots.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went from a 300C to this E55 and it is the best car I have ever owned by FAR. It is the perfect four door vehicle. Torque beyond belief but comfortable beyond belief also. The ride, feel, build of this vehicle is just top notch. I'm closing on 50K miles and the car still has yet to have a single noise, rattle, pop, etc inside. The shifter is butter in your hands and the steering is the smoothest you can imagine. The list of things better than my 300C would take a while to go through but the one thing I liked better in the 300C was the NAV system.

I did make sure to get an extended warranty to 100K miles as MBs will get expensive for when they need those repairs.

The community for this beast is also very very good (mbworld.org) as well as the amount of MODs for this car is truly unreal...although expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just purchased my 06 SRT8. I was in the market for a sedan and was leaning heavily to a BMW 7 Series or S Class Mercedes. After looking at what I could get dollar for dollar, the SRT8 was the one for me.

I feel the options are comparable for my needs. The quality of the interior is better in the Bimmer and Merc, but I didn't want the repair costs that went along with them.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I went from a 300C to this E55 and it is the best car I have ever owned by FAR. It is the perfect four door vehicle. Torque beyond belief but comfortable beyond belief also. The ride, feel, build of this vehicle is just top notch. I'm closing on 50K miles and the car still has yet to have a single noise, rattle, pop, etc inside. The shifter is butter in your hands and the steering is the smoothest you can imagine. The list of things better than my 300C would take a while to go through but the one thing I liked better in the 300C was the NAV system.

I did make sure to get an extended warranty to 100K miles as MBs will get expensive for when they need those repairs.

The community for this beast is also very very good (mbworld.org) as well as the amount of MODs for this car is truly unreal...although expensive.
I drove the e55 I mention in post 3 for two straight days about one hour each time. The thing I noticed right away is it is not a good handling car. I also noticed when you hit a large pot hole the rear end would kind of squish from side to side. It kind of had some type of reverb back there. The roof line was too high, looks wise, making it look kind of dated or older. I also figured the doors would be as tight as a drum when shutting, but they were no different than my SRT. When I shut it off the belt would squeak squeak squeak because of the supercharger. I just couldn't get past those things. But it was a very nice car and I loved the pedal and torque feel. The leather interior was un-real. The quality was solid.

Make no mistake about it, it still has my eye due to the good deals you can have.

To have bought one of those for $100K new would have been so hard to swallow as it does not feel like a $100K car whatsoever. $60 maybe...maybe. I probably will own a newer E65 when I'm finally done with my SRT. But I will look for a long time for a great deal.

Oh, one other thing. When I drove it nobody looked at it...but when I drive my SRT I get so many looks it's almost like driving a custom car.

Moose.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Oh, one other thing. When I drove it nobody looked at it...but when I drive my SRT I get so many looks it's almost like driving a custom car.

Moose.
haha I know what you mean man! Here in irvine you can look at a 4 intersection road and there will be at least 1 bimmer and 1 mercedes on each side its unbelievable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I drove the e55 I mention in post 3 for two straight days about one hour each time. The thing I noticed right away is it is not a good handling car. I also noticed when you hit a large pot hole the rear end would kind of squish from side to side. It kind of had some type of reverb back there. The roof line was too high, looks wise, making it look kind of dated or older. I also figured the doors would be as tight as a drum when shutting, but they were no different than my SRT. When I shut it off the belt would squeak squeak squeak because of the supercharger. I just couldn't get past those things. But it was a very nice car and I loved the pedal and torque feel. The leather interior was un-real. The quality was solid.

Make no mistake about it, it still has my eye due to the good deals you can have.

To have bought one of those for $100K new would have been so hard to swallow as it does not feel like a $100K car whatsoever. $60 maybe...maybe. I probably will own a newer E65 when I'm finally done with my SRT. But I will look for a long time for a great deal.

Moose.
Unfortunately I do not believe we will ever see an E65...The E63 is the current model in the E class with a 6.2 liter 510HP N/A engine. The V12-Bi Turbo 65 is only in the S, SL, and CL class. :(

However, it looks like MB will be going to a bi-turbo V8 soon to help with fuel economy.

Again, I would never put down the $90K this car costs new...it is not worth it to me either which is why they depreciate so fast.

For me in South Carolina, the AMGs get the look and SRT8s are looked at as just another rental car. :pat:

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Unfortunately I do not believe we will ever see an E65...The E63 is the current model in the E class with a 6.2 liter 510HP N/A engine. The V12-Bi Turbo 65 is only in the S, SL, and CL class.
Yeah, I meant SL63

However, it looks like MB will be going to a bi-turbo V8 soon to help with fuel economy.
That would be nice to see.

Again, I would never put down the $90K this car costs new...it is not worth it to me either which is why they depreciate so fast.

For me in South Carolina, the AMGs get the look and SRT8s are looked at as just another rental car. :pat:
Whatever. Do they get the look because there aren't that many?

Where I live there are an assload of all sorts of AMG's. People that don't own them have no idea what an AMG is vs. a non AMG.

There are also a lot of 300's and SRT's. But I still got many more looks in my SRT than when driving the AMG. I've also parked my car next to AMG's and even the one I was looking at. Mercedes is my favorite car and I own one. But I'm telling you, the SRT looks better and people like the styling better percentage wise.

But I also know you Mercedes guys just hate that and have to pull the "rental car" or other digs out of your ass when they are matched.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Whatever. Do they get the look because there aren't that many?

Where I live there are an assload of all sorts of AMG's. People that don't own them have no idea what an AMG is vs. a non AMG.

There are also a lot of 300's and SRT's. But I still got many more looks in my SRT than when driving the AMG. I've also parked my car next to AMG's and even the one I was looking at. Mercedes is my favorite car and I own one. But I'm telling you, the SRT looks better and people like the styling better percentage wise.

But I also know you Mercedes guys just hate that and have to pull the "rental car" or other digs out of your ass when they are matched.
True, it is probably just the overall Mercedes Benz persona...not the AMG...However, I get LOTs of people that pull up next to me and see the V8 Kompressor down the side and start pointing at the car and talking with their friends in the car. Get thumbs up and crap like that.

Don't forget, in Europe about every taxi is a Benz...so they have a stigma there also I suppose. Guess it is just where you are located. I know in Lauderdale there are AMGs everywhere.

It just doesn't get better than this... Mercedes-Benz SL 63 AMG and another Mercedes-AMG

For me, anyway.
Truly a work of art for sure. I just can't get by with two doors...working on it though. I'd really like that SL63 for my next car.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I do not like looks of that generation of E-class. It's ugly and looks like someone had no time to finish their design job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts