Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 300c 5.7 - originally fitted with factory Xenon D1S HIDs. Last year, one of the lights started flickering badly. I moved the bulb around to see if it was the bulb or the ballast, but it looked like the bulb, so I got some 6000K units from Ebay. One of them faulted straight out of the packet. The Ebay guys sent me another one and everything was all sweetness and light... until about 3 weeks ago when one of them started flickering! Grrrrr!!!!

All of the wiring is original, the ballasts are original, the only thing I've changed are the bulbs themselves.

I've seen postings about
1. upgrading the HID relay to a more industrial sized unit
2. adding a capacitor in front of the ballast
3. replacing the ballasts with after market ones
4. installing error code eliminators
.... and so on....

But I read these fixes as applying to aftermarket solutions and not factory fitted HID's that have gone feral! Am I wrong to think this?

Why is this soooo difficult? There must be a simple(ish) and consistent way of making these things stay on (as they did for the 1st 4 years that I had the car)

Is it just a bad batch of wiring/engine management/luck with the 2005 model?

Anyone got any ideas.... I'm getting desperate (not to mention just a little bit annoyed!)

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
I find it a little bit odd that you got a "regular" 2005 300C that had "factory" HIDs... that was true only of the SRT8 model as I recall. HIDs in a regular 300C weren't offered AFAIK until the Heritage editions of 2006 and later... SRTDesign, etc. Of course I don't know what was made available in New Zealand vs. the US. The other odd thing is that the original HIDs developed a flicker.

I've had our '06 H.E. since March 2006 and now over 70k miles and the HIDs are solid as a rock. I've never had one mis-fire and not light, an certainly never flicker. On the other hand I added DDM HIDs to the MSRT8 and the fogs on both cars, and have had an occasional failure to light and/or flicker... and in almost every case of failure to fire consistently, or a bad case of the flickers the problem was in the ignitor/ballast combo of the kit. Change that out and all was well again... never had a bulb be the issue.

So in your case, I would still suspect the ignitor/ballast vs. the bulb... but your experience seems to be somewhat different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why there seems to be some confusion around what I need to do. I understand that the assembly of a lot of the right hand drive 300C's (such as mine) is outsourced and done in a factory in Graz in Austria (alongside the BMW X5 and a couple of Audi models). I'm pretty sure the HID's were standard at the time and not an optional extra. All I know is it was an ex-demonstrator car from a Chrysler dealer in NZ and it had D1S HIDs fitted - I certainly never touched them, other than to replace a flickering unit - and now it's coming back to haunt me all over again....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, well, well! I swapped the bulbs side-to-side and the flickering problem moved with the bulb. This told me the ballast was OK and the Bulb was definitely having a problem. I found the old bulb that had faulted straight out of the packet about 12 months ago and tried it (just because I could) and the thing's working like a charm.... strong, stable, bright and not a hint of flickering!

I always drive with my low beams on, so maybe these things just need to have a rest every now and then...??? Who knows and, right now, who really cares, all I know is I'm back up and running again!

The only thing I can say for sure and without any possibility of being proven wrong is ... DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY EVER - EVEN IF IT'S BROKEN!!!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.