Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to lower my car and decided to inquire of the cost. i went to a place and they quoted me about 500 with parts and labor. theyd use eiback and it would lower it about 1.5" is this a good price. he said this only includs the springs. isnt there anything else i have/should change. thanx in advance

·
Registered
158 Posts
I guess my main question is why do you want to lower your car? If it is just for looks...it really doesn't matter what you do so long as you get the look you want.

If you are looking for performance, then I recommend someone who has engineered the springs so you know the spring rates will be comparable to the factory rates, although stiffer.

The springs must be stiffer than stock or your car will bottom out and hit the bump stops. And stiffer than stock means a much rougher ride. Stiffer ride is OK if you are on a smooth race track, but it can be a bit much everyday going to work.

Also, consider than your car was engineered to handle very well in emergency situations such as skidding on wet streets. If you change the spring rates and do not retain the same balance front to rear percentage wise, the car will not perform as it does now and you might find you cannot control the car in an emergency.

I would recommend you get in touch with Pedders as they sell a very well engineered spring package for you car. Contact House of Power in Huntington Beach CA as they have a 300C with Pedders springs and the owner (who I have spoken with ) really like not only the lowered look but the way the new springs did not degrade his everyday ride.

I suggest you are very careful in making this investment. I have not heard good things about the Eibach springs as regards quality control in spring rates, etc. Installing a less than quality spring package might be a huge mistake....but it is your car.

i want to lower my car and decided to inquire of the cost. i went to a place and they quoted me about 500 with parts and labor. theyd use eiback and it would lower it about 1.5" is this a good price. he said this only includs the springs. isnt there anything else i have/should change. thanx in advance

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It will work, but I would suggest shocks also. These cars are known to have the stock shocks blow out with lowering springs. You can run just the springs, but eventually, the stock shocks will go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It will work, but I would suggest shocks also. These cars are known to have the stock shocks blow out with lowering springs. You can run just the springs, but eventually, the stock shocks will go.
Ditto to this post. I have an '05 300c and only went with the eibachs originally. Between the spring settling and my shocks pretty much crippling under this setup, my car has dropped so much I am having to move to a KW V2 coilover setup to fix the ride hight problem which is causing massive fender rubbing, bottoming out, etc.

I would say its not worth going the cheaper route first, between doubling up the labor for a second coil install now, and the fender and under body damage from running too low after the springs settled and the shocks wore out, I am definately losing in the long run. I would check out the KW V2 coilover setup if I were you. Considerably higher priced, but worth it in the long run!

Just my personal experience with what you are considering.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all this has been real helpful because the guy at the shop said no problem at all. but i told him i would check with the true people that know these mods. im appreciate your opinion and will not go with the Eibach. will look into the other set up but now have to look for someone else that has doen this because the guy at the shop just does the spring set ups. im sure they dont do more than that. thanx alot ahead of time guys. :arms:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Breaks

i have 22"s and want to know if i need to change the break clipper to like the brembos. i do want to paint mine if i dont have to change them but need to know if i should.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^^not necessary. For coilovers, look into suspension techniques for non dampening adjustability, or tein and kw v2s for dampening adjustability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am just looking into new break setups and am over 70k miles now. So for 3 years I have been running my 22" wheels on my stock breaks and rotors. I am just now exploring taking those off and putting on new pads and slotted rotors. My philosophy is if an upgrade was going to cause me to take it all off...I might as well burn out the stock setup and then do it. So now after this many miles its time and have saved the money during it.

Brembo is overkill in my opinion, I am getting a basic slotted rotor with the Hawk HPS pads unless I can find a better setup at the price I want to spend. My stopping power was never too bad on my 22s and stock pads and rotors. I imagine it will improve with the new setup, however I think I did the right thing by using up what I already had installed.

Just one mans view!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
what does "bottoming out" refer to?

im going to lower 1.5" on OEM shocks.. i think 1 inch or 1.5 shouldnt cause TOO much stress...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is 1.5" with the Eibach pro kit. No doubt your shocks will crumble under this setup. The OEM shocks/struts are not setup for shorter springs and then they fail. Guaranteed. I am one of many people I know this happens to.

Bottoming out meaning scuffing the bottom of my car and the front end on pretty much every speed bump, dip in the road, train tracks etc, unless I drive over them at like 5mph (not always doable when you are on a busy street). Also a ton of rubbing of the front fender (in fact it rubs so much it started slicing my low profile tires).

This setup being a rough ride also caused me to bend one of my 22s and had to replace it for $400. After going through this myself I would do either a coilover kit (KV V2s) after doing a ton of research on fixing my problem, or the most expensive fix being bags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts