Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts on here confirming you can LPG a new hemi which is great news. Has anyone over here in Aus got it done or know any places that are willing to attempt it?

Another thing is I don't have a 300c....maybe one day, but I'm planning on using a 300c engine in an older car. So just want to see if the LPG has been done by someone over in Australia, even QLD.

AussieBloke

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Parnell would be the people to speak with.
They have a couple QLD dealers listed on their website.

Parnell

I havent seen a 5.7 300c done over here yet, but I've seen plenty of jeeps.
I'm sure the jeep kit would be somewhat compatible, especially since this is an engine conversion jobby.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Curious that you'd choose a 345hp V8 for an LPG conversion... I suppose combined with the MDS you could have one super-economic highway cruiser, and still lay the grunt on thick when needed. Not a bad idea...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah the choice for the hemi is due to the car being a chrysler, I obviously wanted a modern choice of engine and the hemi was the choice. And the way petrol is going LPG is almost a necessity I'm feeling for the future. And another benefit being the car I will put it in will weigh around 1400-1500kgs with engine etc all in as opposed to the 300c's weight of 1873kg. Would be a big benefit in economy and performance

I already had a read before i started this thread on badger's posts etc about his conversion, very interesting. Will have a look at that website now...Just had a look on the parnell website I assume it would be ablend of the cheroke hemi v8 and 300c kit for a 300c, different in my application.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Good luck Aussiebloke! I love the old Valiants (owned a show quality 69 VF VIP) and have alsways wanted to retrotech one.

I saw on the Pentastar Parts & Restoration catalogue that you can buy a new 6.1L SRT8 engine for $12,000. Not good for feul consumption but very tempting...:33:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mr225 I have also seen these crate motors offered by them, I am looking into the ones in the states imported and probably get it in cheaper as well, seems to be a bit of markup.

Probably go the 5.7 as its got 250kW standard. Would like to keep the front end as light as possible for handling. Plus the 6.1 would be cool indeed but probably getting a little too far away from the fuel conservative side of things.

Hopefully with the light weight I could capitalise on power and economy, and also looking at linking a tremec 6spd up to it. All still in researching stages but the more help and info I can gather the quicker it becomes a reality.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
You may want to contact Steve at RDP Motorsport. He is the go to guy with development stuff (trust me :)) and a lot of what you are talking about is, has been, and will be done by them. Can't say much more about whats in the bag as he would shoot me, but I would start by giving him a call.

Redcliffe Dyno & Performance

[email protected]

(07)3284 1925.

They are also in Brisbane QLD (Clontarf)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Probably go the 5.7 as its got 250kW standard, bit lighter then the 6.1 too. Would like to keep the front end as light as possible for handling. Plus the 6.1 would be cool indeed but probably getting a little too far away from the fuel conservative side of things.
Don't be too mislead on the extra fuel usage of the 6,1 over the 5.7. I have owned both in the 300Cs and I reckon there is only about 0.5lt/100 difference, unless you constantly exploit the extra power.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
we can run a 300c on lpg its no harder than any of the other lpg systems we have done before, just a matter of configuring the gas computer to compile data with the factory ecu everything else is pretty simple, and as to the bigger motor options we have under control with our own in house engine building team currently putting together motors for future sales.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The guy who did my conversion (the one in the other thread) was also doing some straight gas injection stuff on older cars. If you are going the retro-tech option for an older car I would suggest straight gas, that way you should be able to eliminate all of the factory electronics, especially if you are going with a manual transmisson. If you can stretch to the 6.1 then that would also eliminate the MDS as well (I assume there is mechanical stuff for this fitted to the 5.7), one less thing to wotty about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what i've gathered from reading it sounds like the mds sounds more like a sell point then a real benefit. I'm not sure as to when it engages (seems to be at a certain specific speed), but all the guys seemed to be saying they get better economy after their rdp tunes which turns off the mds. So am i right in saying the mds is a bit of a crock or is it just not set up as efficiently as it could be?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
My own personal observations, having owned both a 5.7 and 6.1 is there was little if any benefit from MDS. I reckon the 6.1 uses about 0.5lt/100 more than a 5.7 on the same 300 kilometre highway run on cruise all the way (Hume Highway to Melbourne via freeway and citylink.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts