Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the Magnaflow and Mopar CAI installed today. First, thanks to John Hennessey for the great price on the Magnaflow. The box was destroyed when it arrived via UPS (the top was completely torn open with all of the packing exposed). Fortunately the exhaust was ok. John, you need to switch carriers...

Anyone who states that there is "little" difference with the stock exhaust is crazy. There is a HUGH difference. Very deep, and at WOT one can not hear the stereo. I can even feel the difference through the seat. My assistant followed me home in my other car (a convertable with the top down), and she could hear it even with other traffic around. It's awesome to drive in auto-stick. As my assistant told me, "you're going to get in some trouble now!"

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great review. I have mine in a box in my Living Room.

Who installed it for you and what did it run you. My local muffler shop said that he can't give me a quote until he sees the car and the system first hand. I think he's setting me up for a rip off.

What did everyone else with the MF system pay if they didn't do it themselves?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
we charged a forum guy $200 last weekend for the install. it took 2 guys a little over an hour to do the job and they have done it before. some magnaflows fit better than others. i think it would be fair to quote 3 man hours for the job.

·
Registered
443 Posts
300CUL8R said:

Who installed it for you and what did it run you. My local muffler shop said that he can't give me a quote until he sees the car and the system first hand. I think he's setting me up for a rip off.

go to the magnaflow site and enter you postal zip.....it'll give you a list of authorized Magnaflow dealer/installers in you area.......they should be able to give you an idea since they do the installs regularly.....my quote was about $100-150

·
Registered
435 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
go to the magnaflow site and enter you postal zip.....it'll give you a list of authorized Magnaflow dealer/installers in you area.......they should be able to give you an idea since they do the installs regularly.....my quote was about $100-150
I did just that and got the local guy. Thanks for the info John I won't pay over two bills.

·
Registered
443 Posts
300CUL8R said:
I did just that and got the local guy. Thanks for the info John I won't pay over two bills.
if they try to charge over 200, I'd get a second opinion. good luck!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I 'aint crazy!!! :)

Seriously though, my Viper is L-O-U-D so the change on the SRT-8 with the Magnaflow, known for a moderate and somewhat subtle sound change compared to some other exhaust, wasn't that big to me. Idle and cruise = nice change, much deeper. WOT, not that huge a change...and I have changed the exhaust on all but 1 of my cars so I'm comparing relative deltas to those other cars once changed.

Anyhow, either way I love the sound too. :)

John - when is the new CD out???? I'm jonsing man!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Good review

sguinn said:
Just had the Magnaflow and Mopar CAI installed today. First, thanks to John Hennessey for the great price on the Magnaflow. The box was destroyed when it arrived via UPS (the top was completely torn open with all of the packing exposed). Fortunately the exhaust was ok. John, you need to switch carriers...

Anyone who states that there is "little" difference with the stock exhaust is crazy. There is a HUGH difference. Very deep, and at WOT one can not hear the stereo. I can even feel the difference through the seat. My assistant followed me home in my other car (a convertable with the top down), and she could hear it even with other traffic around. It's awesome to drive in auto-stick. As my assistant told me, "you're going to get in some trouble now!"

MOPAR CAI is in, Magnaflows are on the way.

Did you notice any weld splatter or discoloration on any of the parts??

I have a local Meineke guy who does custom hot rod exhausts as a side business

He's charging me $ 175, so it's right down the middle.

I cant wait to get them on either.

BTW

The UPS Shipping issue is common with these. It's partially them and partially Magnaflow for making a box not designed for long haul shipping.

I had my vendor switch to Fed Ex for my shipment to see if they can handle it more gingerly.. We'll see

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
300CUL8R said:

My guy charged me two hours labor for the magnaflow and the CAI, I think the total was $110. He said it was a tight fit, but did not have any difficulty with the process.

Did you notice any weld splatter or discoloration on any of the parts??
Even though the box was ruined, the exhaust was in great shape. No overspray, and the welds are all clean. The shop I use installs Flowmasters, and they were impressed with this system.

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I called the local Magnaflow dealer here in Raleigh about having them installing mine. They quoted me $40, so I hope they stick with it when I actually go to get it done...

So is the thing really really loud?

jdl

·
Registered
375 Posts
3 hours with 2 guys is "fair"?? Only if you have some KY to go with the bill.

$150 is MOST anyone should ever pay, and for exhaust install. My local exhaust guys installed my Borla system in 30 minutes.

It shouldn't cost more just because it's an SRT....

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
5point7 said:
3 hours with 2 guys is "fair"?? Only if you have some KY to go with the bill.

$150 is MOST anyone should ever pay, and for exhaust install. My local exhaust guys installed my Borla system in 30 minutes.

It shouldn't cost more just because it's an SRT....
2 guys installed a kit in 1 hr. and there were some fitment issues with the exhaust. not every magnaflow goes right on - most do but some dont. 3 hrs might be a worse case scenario. just trying to give accurate info. if you got yours on in 30 min then thats great.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
jdl...

depends on who you ask...
All my posts have alluded to the fact that I run in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as much as possible to "hear" the "Flows"...
that's cause' I want to hear the roar...
Let's put it this way...
I was driving to the course Sunday morning...
and the course parking lot is elevated from the road about 20 feet with no obstructions (trees, mounds, etc.) and there was no wind and slight overcast, so any noise really was audible...
and when I pulled in my buddy just said "dude!, your car sounds unreal!"
"I heard you all the way from the light (about 300 yards) go through the gears and down-shift into here" (gosh, I LOVE autostick!)...
It is loud to some and beautiful to others...
just depends on what you want...
you could always drive it in "D" and under 3,000rpm...
But at WOT, you'll definitely hear them "Flow"... :wink1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
cbutler32 said:

depends on who you ask...
All my posts have alluded to the fact that I run in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as much as possible to "hear" the "Flows"...
that's cause' I want to hear the roar...
Let's put it this way...
I was driving to the course Sunday morning...
and the course parking lot is elevated from the road about 20 feet with no obstructions (trees, mounds, etc.) and there was no wind and slight overcast, so any noise really was audible...
and when I pulled in my buddy just said "dude!, your car sounds unreal!"
"I heard you all the way from the light (about 300 yards) go through the gears and down-shift into here" (gosh, I LOVE autostick!)...
It is loud to some and beautiful to others...
just depends on what you want...
you could always drive it in "D" and under 3,000rpm...
But at WOT, you'll definitely hear them "Flow"... :wink1:
Chris,

I actually don't mind if it's loud. Most of the time I'm driving by myself. What I'm worried about are the times when I'm driving my wife and 3 year old daughter around.

So if I drive the car normally in "D", it's not that loud then right?

jdl

·
Registered
322 Posts
jdl said:
Chris,

I actually don't mind if it's loud. Most of the time I'm driving by myself. What I'm worried about are the times when I'm driving my wife and 3 year old daughter around.

So if I drive the car normally in "D", it's not that loud then right?

jdl

Had mine installed today for $80.00. They had some fitment issues. The biggest being it wanted to rest on the long black brace? underneath in the front. Other than that a little tight in the back on the drivers side around the spare tire well. could not put the tips out as far as I would have liked because of it. The sound is definitely noticeable just tooling around minding your own business. It is more aggressive and can be heard with the radio at 20+. WOT and the whole neighborhood knows your home.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Who was the vendor

Did you get them locally or from this site'
s vendor pool?

sguinn said:
My guy charged me two hours labor for the magnaflow and the CAI, I think the total was $110. He said it was a tight fit, but did not have any difficulty with the process.

Even though the box was ruined, the exhaust was in great shape. No overspray, and the welds are all clean. The shop I use installs Flowmasters, and they were impressed with this system.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Installed mine today!!

Brought my SRT to the local Magnaflow dealer for the install. After looking it over he quoted me $130 including a few strategically placed tack welds for good measure. As the shop was busy I had to leave it there for about three hours.

When I arrived to pick it up my first impression was: "WOW look at those tips!!!" Much more aggressive than the stock tips and the polished mufflers just sparkle from behind. The insytaller did say there appeared to be some slight clearance issues but he called MF and all was fine.

After taking a few photos on the lift (posted later today) they lowered it and started it up. Whoa!! That's nice the installer said politely. After he took it around the block for a "test drive" he pulled up and said "Damn that's fast!" "I know.", I replied. :evil:

Driving impressions:
There were some reviews that said that it wasn't much louder than stock. Those reviewers need their hearing checked. :wink1: It is considerably louder than stock most of the time. At low RPMs (1250 - 1750) at slow speeds (<30mph) it is VERY noticable and quite a bit louder. However over 2000rpm cruising it's pretty much stock. At WOT I don't think it sounds much louder than the stock system but from a standing start or slow roll at half throttle the MFs just light up and alert everyone that you are coming. I only got it cruising above 60mph for a short time today but there was no drone to speak of.

It's only been a few hours and 30 miles or so on the new system so my opinions will most likely change over the next few days/weeks but so far I have to say:
I LIKEY!!! :banana:

Thanks to everyone who posted the many exhaust reviews (cbutler, chasb herb & others) and to Mr. Hennessey for such a great deal. I'll see if I can arrange getting some sound clips up soon. Gotta find some free space to store them first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
300CUL8R said:
Brought my SRT to the local Magnaflow dealer for the install. After looking it over he quoted me $130 including a few strategically placed tack welds for good measure. As the shop was busy I had to leave it there for about three hours.

When I arrived to pick it up my first impression was: "WOW look at those tips!!!" Much more aggressive than the stock tips and the polished mufflers just sparkle from behind. The insytaller did say there appeared to be some slight clearance issues but he called MF and all was fine.

After taking a few photos on the lift (posted later today) they lowered it and started it up. Whoa!! That's nice the installer said politely. After he took it around the block for a "test drive" he pulled up and said "Damn that's fast!" "I know.", I replied. :evil:

Driving impressions:
There were some reviews that said that it wasn't much louder than stock. Those reviewers need their hearing checked. :wink1: It is considerably louder than stock most of the time. At low RPMs (1250 - 1750) at slow speeds (<30mph) it is VERY noticable and quite a bit louder. However over 2000rpm cruising it's pretty much stock. At WOT I don't think it sounds much louder than the stock system but from a standing start or slow roll at half throttle the MFs just light up and alert everyone that you are coming. I only got it cruising above 60mph for a short time today but there was no drone to speak of.

It's only been a few hours and 30 miles or so on the new system so my opinions will most likely change over the next few days/weeks but so far I have to say:
I LIKEY!!! :banana:

Thanks to everyone who posted the many exhaust reviews (cbutler, chasb herb & others) and to Mr. Hennessey for such a great deal. I'll see if I can arrange getting some sound clips up soon. Gotta find some free space to store them first.
Did you also get the high flow 3'' in and out cat? Or haven't they made any yet? As I want to have only one complete install for the exhaust including cats and maybe even headers,depending on what John finds out,on how much HP and torque gain. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm trying really hard to keep this car as stock as I can given the motor issue I had in the early days. I was told by someone on here that anything from the cats back will not voit the warranty for the motor but replacing headers and cats might put the warranty in jepoardy.

I will take a close look at John's Ram Air intake though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts