Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

MagnaFlow exhaust

13K views 52 replies 33 participants last post by  dta316 
#1 ·
300C with Magnaflows video/audio clip!

I went to my exhaust shop today and played around. The 300C exhaust basically goes like this: header - collector - big cat - small cat - x pipe - resonator - muffler - tip. We tried just yanking the resonator: louder, but still not mean sounding: too tinny. Thought about yanking the mufflers completely, but thought it might sound too raspy, so decided on some small Magnaflow stainless mufflers and some nice slash cut chrome tips. The Magnaflows fit in there great, but needed to be angled a bit to fit well in the space left by the stockers.

Here's a clip. We'll probably crush my little server at some point, so a backup host would be appreciated. 300C Magnaflow Video

Impressions. . . it's loud. Not obnoxious, but definitely takes the refinement of the car down about 5 notches. Everyone definitely looks when it starts and revs. Inside the car it's not terrible, but is a bit annoying. You can clearly hear when MDS kicks on and off and it can get on your nerves. I like it for now, but wouldn't suggest it if you want to keep the "silent cruiser" feel.

The Magnaflow muffs definitely deepen the sound a bunch. With the stockers, it was high pitched and raspy. With the 'flows, it's much more mellow and rumbly.

Enjoy.

fathemi

See less See more
#3 ·
Fathemi,
Sounds cool but a bit more than Im looking for. what would you suggest to beef it up without getting so radical?

Steve K
05 300c (friday 6/25)
03 conv. vette - VETTTISH
02 tahoe

PS. Just came back from the dealer tonight, he just took delivery of my Black 05 - Loaded with all the toys including the moonroof! Picking her up on friday 4pm after they finish tinting up the windows

#7 ·
rbb400 said:
Fathemi,
Sounds cool but a bit more than Im looking for. what would you suggest to beef it up without getting so radical?
There are a couple possible setups, including ones that have been documented already by other folks in this forum.

Personally, I think it would sound interesting to leave the resonator (my terminology: some folks transpose resonator and muffler. . . in my diagram, there is one resonator and two mufflers) in place (helps a lot with the MDS balance) and just either nuke the mufflers entirely (the "attydude" mod) or stick some small Magnaflows in there. That would probably sound pretty good.

As soon as you nuke the resonator, I'm sure you'll experience the MDS issue, even if you leave the stock mufflers in place (ala the "Tibbs" mod).

Someone will inevitably ask the power question. Yes, it feels a bit more powerful, especially high end. No, I don't think it's much. . . not a mod to do and expect to really feel the power difference.

fathemi

#9 ·
I'm off the week of the 4th and will be taking mine in to have the rear resonators/mufflers cut off. I will drive it around first to see if the right sound for me is there, if not, I may have some sort of bullet style mufflers put in. I'll probably stay with the 3 inch tips though. I should be able to post what I did and my impressions towards the end of that week. I might also try to fab some kind of CAI if I can get a day to thoroughly check things out around the stock airbox.

#11 ·
It's too loud for the car, at least for daily duty ......
Sounds like a good idea for a removable set up tough ....
Seeing the accesibility on the 300C mufflers it would not be a bad idea to set up a removable type exhaust ....... a few years back a friend and I did this for his car where with just 4 "quickclamps" and a jack you could swap out the exhaust in minutes, and exchange to go to a Cat-less, 3-inch, straight mufflers system, to be used on cruise nights .... at the track it was also a breeze to remove everything for all-out power ... (it was a turbo 6-cyl Supra ...)

#12 ·
PR300C said:
It's too loud for the car, at least for daily duty ......
Seeing the accesibility on the 300C mufflers it would not be a bad idea to set up a removable type exhaust ....... a few years back a friend and I did this for his car where with just 4 "quickclamps" and a jack you could swap out the exhaust in minutes, and exchange to go to a Cat-less, 3-inch, straight mufflers system, to be used on cruise nights .... at the track it was also a breeze to remove everything for all-out power ... (it was a turbo 6-cyl Supra ...)
It's loud for sure, but not bad at all inside the car. It would be perfect if MDS didn't kick in on the freeway and give it the ricer drone. :) I'll probably experiment with it a bit. The coolest set up I've seen is electronic dumps. . . push a button: loud as hell, push it again: absolutely stock quiet. I might do that on the C someday.

#17 ·
I read about an exhaust from Ford Racing for the Mustang FR500. It had (I think) a spring loaded gate that only opened under hard throttle. Just cruising around it was quiet, but when you mashed the throttle the excess pressure would open the gate to allow for a lot of flow and a mean sound.

#18 ·
Yeah, the FR500 catback was nice. Kind of a compromise system, but cool idea.

Those worried about the cats, don't. They're closely coupled to the header collector and aren't touched in any of the exhaust mods that we've been talking about here.

For those interested, I'm currently designing a new exhaust for the 300C that may or may not incorporate the stock 2-in 2-out center resonator. I'm putting together a Magnaflow Tru-X X-pipe with some QTP electric cutouts and some Magnaflow muffs. In one position, the exhaust will flow straight through the mufflers for the sound (approx.) that you hear in the video clip (LOUD and mean!). In the other position, the exhaust will flow through another muffling device (either long glasspacks or the stock resonator) before going through the rear Magnaflows. That will make it stock-quiet with a little more mellow (less raspy) sound due to the Mags. It will end up in the $500 range, but should be pretty sweet. I'll keep us posted.

fathemi

#19 ·
fathemi said:
I went to my exhaust shop today and played around. The 300C exhaust basically goes like this: header - collector - big cat - small cat - x pipe - resonator - muffler - tip. We tried just yanking the resonator: louder, but still not mean sounding: too tinny. Thought about yanking the mufflers completely, but thought it might sound too raspy, so decided on some small Magnaflow stainless mufflers and some nice slash cut chrome tips. The Magnaflows fit in there great, but needed to be angled a bit to fit well in the space left by the stockers.

Here's a clip. We'll probably crush my little server at some point, so a backup host would be appreciated. 300C Magnaflow Video

Impressions. . . it's loud. Not obnoxious, but definitely takes the refinement of the car down about 5 notches. Everyone definitely looks when it starts and revs. Inside the car it's not terrible, but is a bit annoying. You can clearly hear when MDS kicks on and off and it can get on your nerves. I like it for now, but wouldn't suggest it if you want to keep the "silent cruiser" feel.

The Magnaflow muffs definitely deepen the sound a bunch. With the stockers, it was high pitched and raspy. With the 'flows, it's much more mellow and rumbly.

Enjoy.

fathemi
Had mine done with flowmasters and it sounds great.

#20 ·
PR300C said:

Doesn't sound like a set up for a white boy.. LOL

#22 ·
fathemi said:

Enjoy.

fathemi
I went to the muffler shop yesterday and did some chopping. I had the last two stags of the exhaust removed and replaced by a pair of Flow Masters and then straight out the back from there. Now my stereo doesn’t seem to work (too busy listening to the exhaust ;) )

#23 ·
Krakker said:
Doesn't sound like a set up for a white boy.. LOL
Actually, the brothers are more interested in the boom and the bling. I think the exhaust is 100% ******* white boy.

#24 ·
MagnaFlow exhaust near completion

We have just finished development of our Magnum RT system with very impressive results. The 300C is following close behind. Stay tuned for complete update.

11 RWHP and 15 LB-FT of torque are had with little or no resonance.

Power was attained through a unique resonator incorporating the x-pipe internally and replacing the rear mufflers with a special low restriction custom design body, all through 2.5" mandrel bent tube.

Sound is great ... warm smooth tone. No unnecessary noise. Our Website has some sound bites:
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/domestic.htm

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.