Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Magnaflow Pics and Comments >>>

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Cruznit 
#1 · (Edited)
Just installed the Magnaflow system. Couple comments: There is absolutly no resonance at idle, and has a nice light growl until open throttle when it sounds deep and mean. I am impressed to say the least. I feel some extra power on the butt dyno but plan on strapping it down soon to see what the exhaust and intake have done.

Asthetically speaking the tips seem to protrude from the rear a bit too much but it is growing on me. Does everyone else with this system have the same placement of the tailpipes? Also I am getting a little "rattle" over bumps so I need to see what the system is hitting (for another day).

BTW, this is my birthday present to myself...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
aspendog said:
Just installed the Magnaflow system. Couple comments: There is absolutly no resonance at idle, and has a nice light growl until open throttle when it sounds deep and mean. I am impressed to say the least. I feel some extra power on the butt dyno but plan on strapping it down soon to see what the exhaust and intake have done.

Asthetically speaking the tips seem to protrude from the read a bit too much but it is growing on me. Does everyone else with this system have the same placement of the tailpipes? Also I am getting a little "rattle" over bumps so I need to see what the system is hitting (for another day).

BTW, this is my birthday present to myself...
how is noise at hiway cruising speeds??

#3 ·
Well Then... Happy Birthday! :D

They come out a bit much, but its to the point where I wouldnt be able to decide if I like it or don't mind it. I'd say if anything, it gives it an aggressive musclecar feel, which in essence the magnaflow system is designed for. I really dig the way the Magnaflow system has the rear mufflers in rear sight. It looks badass.

Get some decent audio clips or video for us will ya? I can host them if need be.

#4 ·
I'll second that- Happy Birthday aspendog! The protrusion may be on the border between too much/just right... a little hard to tell in photos vs. in person. I'd say live with it a bit and don't make a hasty decision.

I'll also second the motion for video/audio!

#5 · (Edited)
Rattle Fixed

The rattle was coming from the factory cross member, the pipes were too close. Instead of not using the part, I lowered it a bit with 3 washers on each side. Worked like a champ. Why did magnaflow not address this issue? There is like 4-5 inched between the pipes and the heat shield. Oh well, it is fixed now.

I'll try put together some video.

#8 ·
Projekt 300C said:
I actually like the "in-your-face" look. Looks real good to me. But I can notice the difference in the way the steel gleams between Borla (shiner) and Magnaflow (duller).
Happy B-day. Ur car is looking better all the time.
Where did u pick up the exhaust from?
www.HighHorsePerformance.com $599 shipped but I think you have to call for that deal. The Magnaflow exhaust is actually finished out nicely, welds are nice, it is full stainless but the resonater and mufflers are only polished. I have not seen the Borla in person are they chrome?

#9 ·
300C4ME said:
Happy Birthday! Have a glass, or bottle of wine on me. ;)

Your C gets better all the time.
I will be waiting on my bottle of '97 Sliver Oak Cabernet (just kidding on the Silver Oak but it happens to be my wife and my "special occasion" wine, it is much too expensive for daily consumption on my income).

#10 ·
aspendog said:
I will be waiting on my bottle of '97 Sliver Oak Cabernet (just kidding on the Silver Oak but it happens to be my wife and my "special occasion" wine, it is much too expensive for daily consumption on my income).
Great choice! Alexander or Napa? Either way, a nice special occassion wine!

Great taste in wine and cars! Lookin' Good!:D

#14 ·
I'm gonna do my Magnaflow install this weekend. I will probably keep the old stuff in the shed for awhile just in case. I'm also waiting on a forever backordered K&N Typhoon. I also plan to get the Dynatech headers when they ever come out.

If I get it on this weekend, I will probably dyno next Friday or Saturday and report some results from my base 287/327 stock pulls.

#15 ·
Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio Video Audio

I never thought I say this, but the rear muffler location on the magnaflows and cheaper cost has me convinced I may need to order a set next week as an early Xmas gift to myself.

Aspendog you got a camera that does movies? ;)

#16 ·
rogue said:
......I never thought I say this, but the rear muffler location on the magnaflows and cheaper cost has me convinced I may need to order a set next week as an early Xmas gift to myself.

Aspendog you got a camera that does movies? ;)
Yep, I just had this debate with my Santa... er Hubby the other night! I saw/heard video/audio somewhere on a Magnum and it sounded awesome at launch!! Still concerned about the sound at cruising speed, not yet addressed by aspendog... when I'm not playin' I don't want anything too intrusive in my quiet (sorry rogue) retreat.

Feedback aspendog?? I know it's very subjective but let's have your thoughts...

#17 ·
HEMEEE said:
Yep, I just had this debate with my Santa... er Hubby the other night! I saw/heard video/audio somewhere on a Magnum and it sounded awesome at launch!! Still concerned about the sound at cruising speed, not yet addressed by aspendog... when I'm not playin' I don't want anything too intrusive in my quiet (sorry rogue) retreat.

Feedback aspendog?? I know it's very subjective but let's have your thoughts...
IMO the sound is very "stock" unless you are signifiacntly excellerating. At 70mph there is very little resonance. But, when the MDS kicks in it is a little deeper tone. At WOT it sounds like an angry bear... All in all I am very satisfied with the sound/resonance because I did not want something that would wake up the neighborhood all the time.

#20 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
Aspendog, can this be installed using ramps under the front wheels. I assume it's a bolt on unit, what did you use to cut your stock pipes.
Stock system is bolted on (well after the resonater only one side is) no cutting needed. The new system bolts right up. It can be done on (2) ramps but I would lift the rear as well (or you might scrape up the new shiny mufflers...) Another think it is handy to have an extra set of hands to hold things in place or use some boxes, etc...

#21 ·
NIGHTMARE said:
As long as the tips dont stick out past the furthest point of the rear bumper..youre straight. I think it looks good and depending on dyno results, I may go this route.
I like your taste in cars... I had a Z32 that put down close to 500 RWHP but sold it a couple years ago. check out www.importsextreme.com/mycar/index.htm

Are your skylines modified?

#22 ·
aspendog said:
IMO the sound is very "stock" unless you are signifiacntly excellerating. At 70mph there is very little resonance. But, when the MDS kicks in it is a little deeper tone. At WOT it sounds like an angry bear... All in all I am very satisfied with the sound/resonance because I did not want something that would wake up the neighborhood all the time.
Thanks for the feedback! Would love video if you get the chance.

#26 ·
rmedina said:
My only concern is heat. Those pipes look too close to the bumper. I think it is a matter of time before you get some heat damage on that bumper.
They are not that close. I have had many other cars with tighter conditions. Really, they are the same distance if not more as the stock tailpipes from the urethane bumper cutouts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.