Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of you folk out there able to give me some advice on what I need to do to my lights in order to be legal when driving in France.

Is there a lever or similar under the bonnet to deflect the main beam or do I need a stick on device?

Thanks in advance

Post #18 in this thread now gives details of how to do it.
Post#26 left after speaking to DCUK -read before playng around with the star bolts

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "deflecting" the lights. Are you referring to self-leveling HID's? It would also help if you could explain exactly what this law in France states.

Bernie

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I have found so far but I'm not sure it is all up to date

1. Drink driving limits are 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, not 80 mg as it is in the UK. This means less than one glass of wine or pint of beer and you will be over the limit.
2. You must have a fluorescent jacket in the car, (not the boot), for each person in the car. A lot of people mistakenly assume they only need one for the driver. *
3. It is illegal to travel without spare bulbs and fuses for your vehicle. *
4. Unless you have a new style EU number plates then you must have GB sticker on your car.*
5. Warning triangles are to be used in the event of breakdown. *
6. You must have Headlamp Beam adaptors fitted for continental driving, even if you are travelling on the first day of your trip during the daylight. *
7. You MUST take photocopies of your insurance, vehicle registration documents, MOT etc. as you may need them at customs, but definitely if you get stopped by the police.
8. You will need both parts of your driving licence with you.
9. On Toll roads you take a ticket when you enter and you pay when you leave, so they can see how many km you travelled.
10. Don't assume any hire car has the correct items listed above, ASK before you book the car and check when you pick it up.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I've been doing a little reading on the headlight law in France. From what I gather it's meant to avoid dazzeling oncoming traffic because they drive on the right side of the road there (it really is right ya know...haha). It seems most people use black tape in the shape of a rhombus. There are kits available though and I would think a dealer in the UK would be familiar with what's required when driving on the continent.

Bernie

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now over here the Right side of the road is the Wrong side of the road and even our Antipidean friends drive on the right side of the road which of course is the left side of the road.
We also keep the English Channel full of water in an effort to keep the wrong people out of the right place but we fail miserably on that one.:nana:

Derick

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Hi Derick

That's a long list of onerous French regulations to comply with!
I know the French are very keen in this area. I haven't driven over there for a few years now, but I remember having to fit yellow filters to the headlamps. I think the EU managed to scrap that one. However, I did notice that this regulation seemed to be ignored by German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, etc., etc., drivers. Also, it only seemed to be GB drivers that bothered much with the Country stickers. As for the rest of it, I was never required to produce any documentation although I suppose I could have been asked. I wonder how many French drivers comply with all these regulations?
With regard to toll road tickets, there is a sneaky aspect to this; not only is the distance recorded, but also start and finish times. Therefore your average speed can be calculated - whoops!

·
Registered
519 Posts
According to the AA:

Headlights
If you're driving to the Continent then you must adjust the headlamp beam pattern to suit driving on the right so that the dipped beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers.

Never go without adjusting the headlamp pattern as it is a compulsory requirement in most countries.

Headlamp beam converter kits are widely available but don't leave headlamp conversion to the last minute, as a dealer may need to make the adjustment.

Modern high-intensity discharge (HID) or xenon headlights
These can't be adapted by applying an external mask. Fortunately, many feature an internal 'shutter' that can be moved into place by a screw or lever adjustment at the back of the headlamp unit. But some designs are less convenient and the dealer will need to make the adjustment.

Modern halogen-type headlamps
Some of these now require external masks of such complex design that motorists struggle to follow the instructions and work out exactly how and where the mask should be applied.

Check with the dealer or the car's handbook for advice – especially if your car has HID or XENON headlamps. Remember to remove the converters as soon as you return to the UK.

....or just drive during the day!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Halfords is the place to go their headlamp beam deflectors fit the 300c.
Thanks I'll pop in and se what they have

With regard to toll road tickets, there is a sneaky aspect to this; not only is the distance recorded, but also start and finish times. Therefore your average speed can be calculated - whoops!
Hmm... hadn't thought of that aspect. again Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to the AA:

Modern high-intensity discharge (HID) or xenon headlights
These can't be adapted by applying an external mask. Fortunately, many feature an internal 'shutter' that can be moved into place by a screw or lever adjustment at the back of the headlamp unit. But some designs are less convenient and the dealer will need to make the adjustment.

Check with the dealer or the car's handbook for advice – especially if your car has HID or XENON headlamps. Remember to remove the converters as soon as you return to the UK.

....or just drive during the day!
I think the 300c has HID's? Dealership on Monday then!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear derick,

you can easily switch your HID- lights from left- to right traffic within a few seconds.

Unfortunately I´m not allowed to send URL`s to other sites, because I´m under four posts. (newbie:) )

So we can avoid this in the following way:

There are pictures about this switch in the german "300c-forum.de".

Please visit this site and write in the option "Suche" = "search" on the top of the right side the word "Scheinwerferumstellung", and in post nr. 6 you will find the answer to your problem.

Greetings from Bavaria,

Willi

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Kelimutu and welcome to our Forum. I have found the post and I think I understand the pictures if not the language. By turning the switch I move the lights or release a shade ???
Derick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Willi, had the computer translate the text for me and of course it makes more sense. All I have to do now is wait until morning and go and have a look. Once again many thanks. I just love this forum, everyone is so helpful

:fing02: :beerchug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi derick,

thanks for your welcome.

With this switch you don`t move your lights up or down!
you change the shade.

You just adjust them to left or right traffic:

On the continent a part of the right headlight illumitates the right side of the
road much more, to discover pedestrians or cyclists better in the dark.

In your country you have the higher lights on the left side, and without this switch you would blind all the french oncoming traffic.

Years ago we had to deflect a small part of the right headlight-glasses with a small triangle of tape, but this doesn`t work with the modern HID -lenses.

I hope my english is not to bad and you get along with my instructions.

Bye,

Willi

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once again thanks for taking the time Willi. Your English is excellent and I look forward to seeing you post over here in the future.
best regards
Derick

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Willi and welcome to the forum from Scotland. You will find everyone on here very helpful and friendly so keep visiting and posting. I hope Derek will repost from the German site on here so that everyone can learn how to reset their headlights.
Cheers John

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
In your country you have the higher lights on the left side, and without this switch you would blind all the french oncoming traffic.
Sounds like great fun though

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've just been out and tried moving the lights and it works I will post full details in a new thread if I can work out how to get the photos included.

Short term there are two star bolt adjusters on each side of the car immediately behind the lights. ( which can be turned easily with a narrow flat screwdriver if you don't have the star bolt key)

a) Just in front of the washer bottle yellow top ( left of car looking from front)is a small hole in the frame. Beneath that hole is the first star bolt and this moves the self levelling light up and down. (There are R & L letters on the black housing for Raise & Lower??)
b) To the left of that adjuster is another star bolt which moves the lights left and right. (Again on the black housing R & L but this time for Right & Left??)

On the opposite side of the vehicle is the same set up for the other self leveller.

Our UK offside light needs to be raised and moved to the right to pick out the verge and pavement when driving on the Right

Our nearside light needs to be lowered and moved to the right to avoid dazzling drivers on the continent

Whole job takes about 5 minutes.

Trial and error will tell you which way to turn the screw.

Once again thanks to Willi:fing02:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought that the one that controls the level would stay the same and that you would only adjust the left or right swing?
You're probably right with them being self levelling and all, but they can be moved up and down after levelling themselves. It should provide a longer beam along the pavement which I shall try out tonight when it gets dark. If anyone else has any observations I'm always willing to learn and I believe that no one is lucky enough to have the the monopoply on good ideas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts