Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Newbie here,
This is my second 300c - I had an SRT8 of the same year. I have a strange lighting problem with a 2007 5.7 300C. It has stock factory HID dipped beams and 9005 halogen main beams. It has angle eyes fitted - powered from front right parking light - otherwise stock lighting.

Dipped beams are perfect - no problems at all. The is the main beams I have the problem with.
Switches seem to work 100% correctly and blue dash light works as it should when main beams are on. Main beam bulbs light up in the lamps and look white but throw no light on the road. Looking at the front of the car, the main beams are lit and very white but nowhere near as bright as the dipped beam bulbs.

If I park near a wall at night and flash the main beams lights, they light the wall like parking lights.

I have replaced the 9005 bulbs with new, even tried with a HID set - same result with weak main beam lights
I assume they are getting the voltage ( as bulbs are lit white) but not enough wattage.

Can anyone tell me where the main beam relay is so I could swap it?

Any ideas greatly appreciated as I live on country roads.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are you from another country? (As in not U.S.)
Here we call them high beam and low beam. Low beam are your main driving lights. High beams (with the blue dash indicator) are for back roads, etc where there are no oncoming drivers. You will blind them.
My 06 300c came factory with hid for the low beam (with the projector) and a incandescent bulb for the high beam. Iirc, my low beam stays on when I turn on the high beams.
Are these stock housings?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - Yes it is the high beam/main beam/brights that are the problem. Dipped or low beams are Ok.
Yes - "It has stock factory HID dipped/low beams and 9005 halogen mani/high beams"

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The stock 9005 halogens are useless. You need to replace them with HB3 OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited (or equivalent)

I use these in both my CRD and Audi A4.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks - Yes it is the high beam/main beam/brights that are the problem. Dipped or low beams are Ok.
Yes - "It has stock factory HID dipped/low beams and 9005 halogen mani/high beams"
Thanks for the clarification. Here in the Colonies, I would have assumed that "mains" would be the low beams, but I have to admit, "dipped" sounded as though they might be as well.

Now that I know you're looking for brighter high beam bulbs, I can tell you that on both my 300C and my Charger R/T, I replaced the stock 9005s with 9011 HIR bulbs. They're cheap (I paid $10 USD each for Wagners at Rock Auto) and output roughly 2300 lumens, which is considerably more than either the stock bulbs (around 1600) or the Night Breaker Unlimiteds (1700), while drawing the same 65 watts as the 9005.

You will have to modify the bulb tabs a bit. This is a very common upgrade, in fact, some bulbs come with the areas to be trimmed for a 9005 application pre-marked.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On mine, I swapped to the halogen version projector.
I used Sylvania silver star ultras. My light output is decent.
Iirc, the relays for the lights are in the underhood fuse box.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a previous 300 that did not have this issue.
I have tried new bulbs and even a HID system. It is not the bulbs - it is a fault I believe. Using a multimeter, the high beam wiring shows 11v with engine off/ 14v engine running.
It's a 300C from 2007 Could it possibly be the Forward Control Module that is faulty?
Not sure if checking the amps/watts used will help. I have 35W HIDS installed temporarily at the moment for the high beam.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi there;

My hi beams are crap as well. Just the way they are, the standard ones are useless.

I think the problem is that the low beam HID's overshadow the hi beams; which makes no sense; but is how they have done it. We get so used to seeing the HID's as pretty bright - the "hi beams" are then a "let down by comparison."

Every other car I have had, the low beams are average, hi beams very bright.

I have tried various other hi beam globes but still experimenting.

14 volts engine running is fine. 11 volts engine not running is irrelevant; as you are never going to "need high beam with engine off". That is if you are getting 14 volts across the globe. If you are measuring from the lamp pos to earth........ could be different getting to the globe as bad earth.

But then you would see difference between the two. Measure across the back of the light when on and loaded (that is, while light on; voltage "at a point" not under load is misleading, so can be pointless; is doesn't discern resistances that can occur due to bad connections).

But yeah; the hi beam on my 2007 with HID's low and Halogen hi is very underwhelming.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi there;

My hi beams are crap as well. Just the way they are, the standard ones are useless.

I think the problem is that the low beam HID's overshadow the hi beams; which makes no sense; but is how they have done it. We get so used to seeing the HID's as pretty bright - the "hi beams" are then a "let down by comparison."

Every other car I have had, the low beams are average, hi beams very bright.

I have tried various other hi beam globes but still experimenting.

14 volts engine running is fine. 11 volts engine not running is irrelevant; as you are never going to "need high beam with engine off". That is if you are getting 14 volts across the globe. If you are measuring from the lamp pos to earth........ could be different getting to the globe as bad earth.

But then you would see difference between the two. Measure across the back of the light when on and loaded (that is, while light on; voltage "at a point" not under load is misleading, so can be pointless; is doesn't discern resistances that can occur due to bad connections).

But yeah; the hi beam on my 2007 with HID's low and Halogen hi is very underwhelming.
The reason the early LX cars have this setup is because it's impractical to energize and de-energize a HID lighting circuit rapidly enough to serve reliably as high beams.

You may have tried other bulbs, but I suspect you haven't tried 9011 HIRs as I described upthread.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, good point, and I am aware of that. The HID's have a "run up" period, so once on need to stay on.

Also, (for me) the market here is a bit different from the US, so all about "what you can get."

Lots of pros and cons.

The lights on my car seem to have been designed with the HID's as the "be all end all" and the hi beam as an afterthought; almost like "well; HID's are GREAT, you won't need them."

But also the fact that the HID's are pretty good; hence the hi beam not the usual additional light most are used to with non HID cars.

But also I am used to very good halogen on other cars. I have an ancient 76 quad headlight car; and with that on high beam and the 4 halogens, is more penetrating/lights further than the lights on my 300C do.

But having said that, the HID low beam is far superior to the older cars low beam, and most people use that the most, so that would be the aim.

I have read a lot about LED; but the LED market has very good and very bad, like any emerging technology.

The cheap ones don't do anything. The expensive ones are supposed "to be great"; but the "known" ones here (Narva) have a HUGE heat sink that may be in the way of the air box; and reviews say that beam pattern is all over the place; or "about same brightness as halogen." And they are expensive. So a lot to spend if no gain.

This has been a good thread for me because I have been thinking about the 9011 for a while. I read a very comprehensive report that a guy did where he used a light meter and measured the actual change. He only reported about a 10% increase, but then again, depends which 9011's he used, as they vary.

I have tried some LED ones and wasn't that impressed; but there are lots out there.

I will get some 9011's and fit them and see. Thanks to this thread and the prompting for me to google/look into it, I have now been reminded to do it.

I don't drive interstate anymore (that 76 car I used to drive coast to coast 7,000 kms return every Xmas for 7 years; so it's brilliant lights were great) but now do unlit 110kmh freeway for 20 minutes every few nights and while not many kangaroos out there (or other cars), you get one now and then. I have never seen one bounding around, but every now and then you see a dead one roadside, which has ruined someones day............

I'll get some 9011's and try. Thanks for the info........ this has got me off my arse to go and do it!

Cheers;

KJH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts