Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

501 - 503 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
mhh300 ............. 622107 ...... 040809/18:00 ..... Brilliant Black ..... 06/20/09
My son drives it now 125,000K Still looks & runs great
have changed out all suspension and normal maintenance
did have the Timing chain under Re-call :)

had to replace original wheels as damaged from Cleveland winters and roads

Where is your Heritage now??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Recently picked up an HE for the wife to replace the C she wrecked.

2007 CV 795641 3/07

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Thanks to those who are still keeping this thread alive... sort of. Our former Heritage Edition is still in the family. Our son is still driving it although a year ago he had a strange problem. Turns out (in our opinion, but not in agreement with the Chrysler inspector for arbitration) we think the oil pump began to fail slowly over the course of 6-8 months.

At first the oil pressure would cause a check engine light only occasionally despite the oil level being up to snuff, and changed at an average interval for the car (8-9000 miles) as I had through 9 years of use. Checks with his mechanic and at the dealer could find no loss of compression, or oil issue. Eventually, we had the dealer tear down the engine and it was found to be full of sludge even though he had continued to change the old at the 8-900 mile interval that I used (with oil analysis) during our 121k miles of driving it over 9 years. However he had not followed through with oil analyses, and therefore had no data to show increased carbon in the old oil. We had purchased the lifetime powertrain warranty in 2006, but when the Chrysler inspector saw the sludge it was summarily dismissed under the assumption that our son had been non-diligent in changing the oil and therefore the sludge was "not caused by anything Chrysler."

In hind sight, one question we did not make at the time, but has become my conclusion is that the oil pump flow was slowing down overtime so that the oil in the small channels for the multi-displacement system, etc., had enough residence time to begin to burn and char, and he never noticed it because he did not continue with oil testing as I had. Finally the check engine lights became a near daily occurrence and he heard the engine making odd noises. So that's when, after yet again the dealer not finding anything conclusive, we decided the tear down the engine... and found the sludge bomb.

We then decided to desludge the engine and put it back together as the "cheapest" option, although not really cheap, but less that used or new replacement engines... as well as replace the oil pump. Chrysler concluded it had failed because of the sludge, not that the sludge was caused by the slow degradation of the pump's flow capacity. Since reassembly and the new pump... engine and pressures, etc., have run just fine... so the HE has stayed on the road.

That's my end story... story.

501 - 503 of 503 Posts
About this Discussion
502 Replies
137 Participants
GoofyTimL
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing