Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning within seconds of starting out my Malfunction Indicator Light came on. I had to make a stop and when i started up again it was still on. According to the manual "certain conditions such a loose or missing gas cap, poor fuel quality, etc may illuminate the light after engine start".

Anyone else have this indicator come on and what was the problem?

·
Registered
173 Posts
coolvanilla, are you talking about the little "Engine" light in the bottom left corner?

i've had it come on a few times when I auto-start my car, but once i turn the car off and restart normally it goes away. I just got it back with the alarm so i'm still trying to figure it all out...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
415_300C said:
coolvanilla, are you talking about the little "Engine" light in the bottom left corner?

i've had it come on a few times when I auto-start my car, but once i turn the car off and restart normally it goes away. I just got it back with the alarm so i'm still trying to figure it all out...
Yes - the one on bottom left refered to in manual as "Malfuntion Indicator". I have stopped/started three times now and it stays on. Figured may be a problem with gas (which was half full) so I filled. Still on!

I had the engine block heater plugged in overnight but I've used quite frequently without any problem. If it's still on tomorrow I'll take to the dealer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
mine came on while i was on a trip ,called a local dealer he said it was safe to drive as long as it didnt start flashing. i drove about 500 miles with it on, when i got home i started to take it to my dealer i started the car light went off, no problem since. dealer cheked it to make sure he said there was no problem he could find.

·
Registered
887 Posts
coolvanilla, it will take a while for the light to cycle. On my very first tank of gas after I took delivery, my light came on after filling up...can't remember if I "clicked" the gas cap 5 times - called dealer and they said exactly what wild bill said - unless it's flashing, and if it's running ok, it will reset, and if it doesn't then bring it in....needless to say I was freakin' the whole time it was on as I only had 200 miles on her at the time.....it reset on the next fillup - maybe take off the cap and reinstall again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my 300C AWD today (yes!) and the malfunction light was on right away. No blinking and really really poor fuel economy right now, but I only have 20 miles so far! :)

Here's to hoping it goes out tomorrow. Otherwise it's off to the local dealer (from whom I did not buy it as they didn't have a loaded AWD).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a pretty long reply to give you that went into depth on what causes the problem..

Short story is dont top off your fuel tank, ie dont "overfill it" it fills up the flowback canister and saturate it with fuel.. the canister is used to regulate fuel pressure etc....

Basicly stop when the fuel pump stops, dont keep filling the tank...

·
Registered
5 Posts
EndersGame said:
I had a pretty long reply to give you that went into depth on what causes the problem..

Short story is dont top off your fuel tank, ie dont "overfill it" it fills up the flowback canister and saturate it with fuel.. the canister is used to regulate fuel pressure etc....

Basicly stop when the fuel pump stops, dont keep filling the tank...
I wonder if the 3.5 hour ride on the auto truck could have splashed fuel??

[edit]

It was on an incline for the whole ride with about 1/4 tank.
I guess it will dry out in a day or two if that's it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The gas cap turning on the MIL is common to all OBDII cars, every car built since 1996. Evaporating gas gives off hydrocarbons, so the EPA regulates that. The system is sealed and will burn off the vapors when the car is running, the computer has to check that the system is sealed to make sure it isnt leaking, this is an EPA requirement. A flashing MIL usually indicates a misfire, which can damage the engine or cats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well mine is still on 3 days (and nearly 200 miles) later. No flashing, just steady on. Gascap is on fine and no gas smell near the car... :( hi ho hi ho to the dealer I go :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
MIL Problem

I have had my light come on as well. First time I was in the mountains going like the bears were after me, when it came on. Went off several miles (could have been a 100) later. But came right on again. Went to the dealer, they said a knock code triggered ti. It stayed off for about 20 miles and came back on. So, my plan is this. Fill it up, don't overfill, turn the cap 5 clicks, turn to mecca and moon'em, and drive the hell out of it. If it is still on in 1000 miles, I'll be ready for an oil change and let the dealer take a look at it. If it comes on after that, I'll put some black tape over it!!

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Mize and theblksrt8,
Many of us have had the same thing happen, usually from not enough 'clicks' of the gas cap. Although the malfunction light can be upsetting or annoying, it eventually does recycle off.

BTW, I welcome both of you to the forums! :01:

bruno

1 - 13 of 13 Posts