Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am faced with a hard choice between two cars. Here is how it all started. I had a 03 Mitsubishi Evo. that was stolen 7-04 and decided to wait before I went out and bought another toy.

Well, my other choice is the New 07 SVT Mustang Cobra that they have just announced that they will show the world next month in March at the New York Autoshow. Rumors is the car will have a 5.4 500hp blown powerplant. If it does than that along will cause me to lean more towards the new pony car. But then again, they haven't mentioned price yet, so the autoshow will play a huge roll in my choice.

But, after seeing 22inch TIS 03's wheels on a 300C (DUB Edition), well just say that I was hooked.

Reason why the choice is hard for me, is I like big hp by way of forced induction ie: blower or turbo. And the new Cobra will of course be blown.

Another reason the choice is hard to make is, SVT has annonce that this will be the best Cobra ever and rumors are pointing to Mr. Carrol Shelby himself having a part in the Cobra's production.

I am starting to see alot of the 300's driving around, and still look foward to seeing them due to everyone's different touch to the car. I really love the aftermarket front grill, and the fact that the offer all-wheel drive. I have driven the Hemi, and was all :D

And seeing a few on this forum hasn't made it any easier either. Blair's car is very nice. And YungKolyon posted another cool looker as well.

So, this is where I am right now. Looking forward to next month. So that I can see what it is going to be.......

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
LSR said:
I am faced with a hard choice between two cars. Here is how it all started. I had a 03 Mitsubishi Evo. that was stolen 7-04 and decided to wait before I went out and bought another toy.

Well, my other choice is the New 07 SVT Mustang Cobra that they have just announced that they will show the world next month in March at the New York Autoshow. Rumors is the car will have a 5.4 500hp blown powerplant. If it does than that along will cause me to lean more towards the new pony car. But then again, they haven't mentioned price yet, so the autoshow will play a huge roll in my choice.

But, after seeing 22inch TIS 03's wheels on a 300C (DUB Edition), well just say that I was hooked.

Reason why the choice is hard for me, is I like big hp by way of forced induction ie: blower or turbo. And the new Cobra will of course be blown.

Another reason the choice is hard to make is, SVT has annonce that this will be the best Cobra ever and rumors are pointing to Mr. Carrol Shelby himself having a part in the Cobra's production.

I am starting to see alot of the 300's driving around, and still look foward to seeing them due to everyone's different touch to the car. I really love the aftermarket front grill, and the fact that the offer all-wheel drive. I have driven the Hemi, and was all :D

And seeing a few on this forum hasn't made it any easier either. Blair's car is very nice. And YungKolyon posted another cool looker as well.

So, this is where I am right now. Looking forward to next month. So that I can see what it is going to be.......
Are you looking for performance or performance AND luxury? It's an easy choice for me. With the Cobra you are basically saying I can beat anyone on the road and if it's like the regular Cobras it is a rough ride.
If you are looking for good performance and luxury with alot of class...it's gotta be the C!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
LSR, is it performance or looks that you want?

If you want raw performance, my choice would be the 'Stang Cobra.

If you want the "look" with TIS 22's and will not drive hard and fast - go with the 300. Buy a base model and spent your money moddin' - wheels - grille- sound system. There are some great rides on this site.

Choices, choices . . . . :confused:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm with wes, what are you looking for?
The SRT8 will be nice(power wise) but I will not compare it to the Cobra's 500 horses.
Like wes said, if you want some lux w/power go mopar. If you want pure muscle the blue oval's snake is it. Have you checked out the charger? I hear dodge has some power plant plans for her as well.?.?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Of all the cars I looked at, and it was a long list. It is down to my two choices I mentioned. I really like the 300C. But if the price is right for the Cobra then it will be hard for me. It should be easy between choosing performance or luxary. Ussually with performance coming out on top. But the 300 makes that hard for me. The car is gorgious.

Northern Rider, I am looking at the C model because of the all-wheel drive and the Hemi = hp

Hey Wesexcellence, is that your car as your avitar?

If so, how much to have the doors done?

I like anything that is different.

Also I apprieciate you guys positive opinions ;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
LSR said:
Of all the cars I looked at, and it was a long list. It is down to my two choices I mentioned. I really like the 300C. But if the price is right for the Cobra then it will be hard for me. It should be easy between choosing performance or luxary. Ussually with performance coming out on top. But the 300 makes that hard for me. The car is gorgious.

Northern Rider, I am looking at the C model because of the all-wheel drive and the Hemi = hp

Hey Wesexcellence, is that your car as your avitar?

If so, how much to have the doors done?

I like anything that is different.

Also I apprieciate you guys positive opinions ;)
Yes it is...we charge $3000 or so.
www.audiobywes.com

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
LSR said:
It should be easy between choosing performance or luxary. Ussually with performance coming out on top. But the 300 makes that hard for me. The car is gorgious.

LSR
The All-wheel drive is the bad weather option, unfortunately in good weather there is a slight reduction in performance compared to the 2WD 300c. Very very limited replacement wheel options on the AWD too.

But you wouldn't be considering the 500?hp Mustang in snow would you? That Mustang might be a bait and switch where they "float a trial baloon" and a show only car. Production ones are tamer. DC was guilty of that with the Magnum RT. Initial show car had a blower. Though I recognize Ford have their blowers in production already. Also remember Ford's previous HP debacle where they had to recall and repair an entire year's production of the SVT Mustang Cobra when its 1999 models fell well short of the 320 horsepower Ford had advertised. Once bitten etc.

It's like anything promised: the promise of a $5.00 an hour payrise or an $4.25 payrise now - take the $4.25 ;)

SRT8 has mondo performance and the looks. ESP should make it driveable in 99% of weather conditions. Wheel options not a problem. Makes me grin :D

Zilla

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was looking at the new mustang and the goat (drove it as a holden in New Zealand), but for me what made me go over to the C was the rear seats. I really like to share my joy with friends and family and the stang and goat's rear seating was too little for a bunch of polynesians (which would probably not be a concern with you). The cobra is a sweet little thing with an attitude, IMO the c is attitude all around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies and experiences.

Goddardzilla, thanks for the spec. info. in ref. to the all-wheel drive performance over two-wheel drive. I tend to think that with the Hemi hp that the all-wheel version would be quicker if not the same as two wheel. Better due to all-wheel traction, and the same due to added weight.

Hey Wesexcellence, you said "WE" for $3000 plus. So let me ask:
* how long does it takes?
* what are the pros & cons?

And does anyone on this site have or have posted any pics. of a 300 with a rag/roadster top on it?

:)

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
LSR:

As an inhabitant of the more northern latitudes (like you), and as a longtime owner of a supercharged 1997 Mustang Cobra convertible, I can tell you that if you plan to drive your new wheels through the winter, the Cobra is not the best choice. My Mustang Cobra is strickly a toy. It don't go out in the rain, and it sets for the winter come first snow. The Mustang Cobra simply is not a car for all seasons. My new 300C is a daily driver replacing a horsepower-deprived '98 VW New Beetle. I wanted to replace the Beetle with more luxury (not too really hard to do) and with something that more closely matches the Cobra in power. I like the highway performance of the 300C (it's street performancwe isn't too bad either!) while I like the traffic light performance of the Cobra. I don't plan to mod the 300C basically because the Cobra has already been moded almost to the extreme. If your toy is also to be your daily driver the 300C will be the best choice.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
LSR said:
Thanks for your replies and experiences.

Goddardzilla, thanks for the spec. info. in ref. to the all-wheel drive performance over two-wheel drive. I tend to think that with the Hemi hp that the all-wheel version would be quicker if not the same as two wheel. Better due to all-wheel traction, and the same due to added weight.

And does anyone on this site have or have posted any pics. of a 300 with a rag/roadster top on it?

Quicker in snow/ice/other very dirty weather :
Apart from the weight penalty, the all-wheel has more parasitic drivetrain losses, and they didn't up the HP to compensate, though they did change the rear axle ratio, also a car with a higher C of G affecting the handling - so overall a slightly slower car, but see the first line. :)

ASC have produced convert. concept "the Helios"
From Greek mythology: The sun god, son of Hyperion, depicted as driving his chariot across the sky from east to west daily.
I bet they've been waiting a while for the right car to use that one on.

http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/Mi...id=1004&instanceid=5121&pageid=824&srid=10088

and this already on the forum
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2781&highlight=convertable

Get familiar with the search feature on the top toolbar - there is so much good info already on the site ;)

I hope many will help you with your decision, please continue to ask questions

just call me "Zilla"

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
LSR said:
Hey Wesexcellence, you said "WE" for $3000 plus. So let me ask:
* how long does it takes?
* what are the pros & cons?

We take the car for 4 days...3 for the mod and 1 for the wiring extensions.
The pro's is the attention and the cons is the attention.

·
Registered
198 Posts
wesexcellence said:
We take the car for 4 days...3 for the mod and 1 for the wiring extensions.
The pro's is the attention and the cons is the attention.
Wes, I really like living in Hawai'i but there are times like this that I wish I could drive over and have you work on my car and I think I speak for many of us that are not within driving range of your shop. I'm sure that there are people here that do work like you, though I haven't run into any, but your passion for the 300 is what I appreciate. You could take a family vacation to this land of aloha, could be relaxing, maybe could give some of us some pointers here :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
hawaiian lava said:
Wes, I really like living in Hawai'i but there are times like this that I wish I could drive over and have you work on my car and I think I speak for many of us that are not within driving range of your shop. I'm sure that there are people here that do work like you, though I haven't run into any, but your passion for the 300 is what I appreciate. You could take a family vacation to this land of aloha, could be relaxing, maybe could give some of us some pointers here :D
We are seriously considering coming to Hawaii in July, depends on the package prices. Thanks for the kind words, and I do have a passion for not only the 300 but all vehicles we work on. I get a bigger kick in the finished project than the money.(the money is gone to paying bills but the satisfaction of a job well done is long-lasting.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts