Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there ever hear of somebody putting a manual trany in one of their SRT's? I'm sure it would be a ton of work, but I've always been partial to the ole stick.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
^ It was tried to death in the last gen... to my knowledge it was never figured out. Bolting up is easy but there are issues with the electronics and I believe the final answer was the SKREEM unit kept going haywire and shutting the car down seconds after start up. Nobody managed to skirt it last time I checked. There are rumors the new 'Hellcat' motor might be available manual.... we will see!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Dunno if I can afford to trade up, but... When is the hellcat coming out? I've barely heard if it. Is that a supercharged version?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Yeah it's the new 6.2 blown Hemi that should be out 2015'ish as it's being rumored... going to be good for some serious ponies... the 6.4 will be mated to the 8spd by then and the rumor is that it might struggle with the power and therefore route to a 6spd... which would absolutely turn my head coming from a manual 993 Turbo, 6 spd M5 and 6 spd Z06... to me it's much more controlled... love having a gearbox to roam around!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds awesome. I've never found an automatic that could read my mind and select the right gear. Had a Z06 too. Loved it. RIP.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Yeah it was a great car... just unfortunately only had two seats and I needed more at the time... miss that thing! lol.. Honestly don't miss the M5 I replaced it with, my C now is waaaaaaay quicker, larger and way more comfortable... but man could the car handle for a saloon. If the new C has a manual, I'd trade right away, it's about all I'd go for though as I just can't find anything else in our segment that has what our cars do.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I can feel it in my bones that they will release the hellcat with a manual and Australia won't get it. :angryfire:angryfire

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
How about a dual disc clutch manual with flappy paddle shifters ala Ferrari? :cool2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hope this rumored "Hellcat" is under 70k. If it has a 6 speed option, might as well start kissing my wife's ass right now. That gives me a couple of years. I think I'll bring it up this year, and then beg all next year. By that time, I might have worn her down enough to "whine her" into submission for her sanity. :fing02:

·
Registered
79 Posts
silver06hemic was your m5 an e39? and how would u compare the maintenance cost with an srt8 because im debating over an e39 m5 and a gen 1 srt8 as my next car; and possibly a pontiac GTO because it is so much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
silver06hemic was your m5 an e39? and how would u compare the maintenance cost with an srt8 because im debating over an e39 m5 and a gen 1 srt8 as my next car; and possibly a pontiac GTO because it is so much cheaper.
It was an E39 yes... (see pic)

Great car... Well built and powerful for its day in the 6 spd, handled like a German car should, so predictable and planted and the motor sounded fantastic at WOT. Now... It was also damn near brand new (2k in rep miles) so I can't say much for longevity as I only owned it for a year and a half or so. My only complaints were the oil changes had to be done at the dealer as did my first brakes at 10k (yep smoked in 10k!) as NOBODY back then had the tool to reset the idiot lights. The shifter throw was also a little long as well for my taste. Mods were RIDICULOUS priced and honestly I can say I enjoyed having it, but would have been a car I would have admired more on the European roads where it belongs really. I sold it to a friend and he had no more troubles with it in two years or so he had it either, so dependable for sure as long as you warmed it up! In comparison... Parts for our cars are cheap as heck compared to a Dinan product and they go harder off the showroom floor and feel more spacious and refined. The GTO imo is cheaper as it is a cheaper feeling car than most as well. My friend just sold his and while it was fast with heads and cam, I was not that impressed and the size and comfort were not there... To me to buy a GTO you may as well buy an 02 Trans Am and look cool while getting the job done! Hehe... To me the SRT 300 is the best value out there in a used car of its class right now...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
well to be honest if the 300 srt8 came in a 6 speed that would be my only choice with out a dought but its the fact that its automatic thats killing me. And the e39 m5 is just an amazing car IMO and the fact that it only comes in a 6 speed makes me want it more but i cant seem to find one for low miles and at my price range. Man, why did my friend tell me about the e39 lol, if it wasnt for him i wouldnt be in this situation lol. the srt8 is my favorite from all 3, the only reason im including the other 2 as possible options is because they come in manual lol and also because the e39 m5 just looks to sexy.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
It is a nice car, but put some money aside for running costs... The parts for it are not cheap compared to many vehicles and the mods (which you will want I would bet money on it after you get spanked by a SRT one day! Lol) will cost you dearly! 3 months before I let it go I did a dinan tuning ECU and a catback and it was $2g's using my hookup at a tuning shop for parts! It's not cheap! It was quick but not the fastest car I've owned by far, more tuned for a track environment... It's the lack or tq that I noticed it had driving it two years after I sold it and a year into owning my C. I also would be a little scared thinking about how many thousands a replacement motor is for it if life goes wrong. That motor was designed with tolerances of a supercar and it even had a preprogrammed warm up schedule through the ecu... They like to warm up and if they don't and are ridden hard from startup they develop ring issues fast. If you get one just choose wisely and look for a lower mileage one if you can. I will say with a mopar TCM, a 2800 stall converter and a Tranzformer in my C its lots if fun and as much as I miss a manual I have been and will be ok with my car till something else catches my eye. I can roast the tires off at any speed up to damn near 50 mph on a roll, lay out rubber on a second gear shift and chirp 3rd on a good day and run 4.0-4.2 0-60's consistently with a little work and pedal management on half dead tires... I don't have a 6 spd to play with but that sure keeps me entertained! Good luck on your search and PM me if you need any input on the M5... :)

Reactions: Srt_VIBE

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I realize there are many out there who would prefer a manual, but truth be told, today's automatics accelerate as fast (some faster) than most people could stir a stick. Manual cars are harder to launch correctly (again, for most people) without either bogging the engine or lighting up the tires not to mention once you get going the possibility of missing a shift. I grew up with stick shifts because in that era they were usually the norm. My Cobra had a manual with a Steeda short throw shifter, and was very smooth, but still was easy to miss 3rd if you weren't precise. Today, I am totally impressed with the auto in my SRT for it's response and shift firmness, even in full auto mode. For an "antiquated" 5 speed, I think it's near the top of the heap in performance and durability. I would think the newer 8 spd should be even better.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I realize there are many out there who would prefer a manual, but truth be told, today's automatics accelerate as fast (some faster) than most people could stir a stick. Manual cars are harder to launch correctly (again, for most people) without either bogging the engine or lighting up the tires not to mention once you get going the possibility of missing a shift. I grew up with stick shifts because in that era they were usually the norm. My Cobra had a manual with a Steeda short throw shifter, and was very smooth, but still was easy to miss 3rd if you weren't precise. Today, I am totally impressed with the auto in my SRT for it's response and shift firmness, even in full auto mode. For an "antiquated" 5 speed, I think it's near the top of the heap in performance and durability. I would think the newer 8 spd should be even better.
Oh i agree completely... From a drag racing standpoint a tight shifting auto is a great way to go, my transmission is as tight as i need it to be for sure with a Mopar TCM and Tranzformer.... I think its just the nostalgia I miss... I feel more involves with a manual and not all racing is done in a straight line and a manual will always be better in the twisties. I think for me its just about having a little more to do... At the end of the day for me its not a deal breaker or there would be different car in my driveway right now, but if its released with a manual... I'd be all over it.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I have always been partial to manual trannys - especially in performance cars and absolutely for racing competition.

However - I have changed my opinion on this, ever since I got a some experience with my 06 SRT8 on road courses. The Nag1 5 speed slush box in our cars is tough and it is programmable. Shifting is easy while racing - autostick for downshifts; let the tranny handle upshifts with raised shift points - works like a charm.

And it allows me to easily work left foot brake and right foot throttle together in the corners, giving me an advantage over my competition - which is 90% manual shifting.

We are competing late this afternoon in race # 6 of 9 at Bogie - gotta go and get my shit together - they are predicting rain . . . :)

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I have always been partial to manual trannys - especially in performance cars and absolutely for racing competition.

However - I have changed my opinion on this, ever since I got a some experience with my 06 SRT8 on road courses. The Nag1 5 speed slush box in our cars is tough and it is programmable. Shifting is easy while racing - autostick for downshifts; let the tranny handle upshifts with raised shift points - works like a charm.

And it allows me to easily work left foot brake and right foot throttle together in the corners, giving me an advantage over my competition - which is 90% manual shifting.

We are competing late this afternoon in race # 6 of 9 at Bogie - gotta go and get my shit together - they are predicting rain . . . :)
No heel toe manual drivers where you are Patrick?! Hehe... I knew you'd chime in and as I was typing I was thinking of you, I've only ever road raced a manual and one automatic (trans am of a friend's) and that one was awful! However as you say our slushbox (you need to get that Tranzformer pal!) Is different in heritage and has one more gear and will hold a forced selection through a curve without auto upshifting... It's been a long time since I hit a road course and I have never done it in my C, I'm thinking my loose stall is going to bite me there now. We also have good gear ratios and the 3.06 is a good rear diff ratio for the nag 1 with the exception of a few dead spots. But still... To me its preference, born in the UK driving a manual I feel a little lost sometimes in my C... Lol. I wish I had come and watched you race while I was still in Canada, watching these cars tear up hot hatches and road race cars would have been awesome... Good luck today pal and shiny side up in the wet! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems u guys know a lot about how to program the nag1 to ones liking. I was concidering the trinity tuner to get the 93 octane, and maybe more important change how it shifts.
Does anyone know if you can save/ change both the normal and the sport mode separately with the trinity?
I like the shocks in normal and the shifts in sport. But I don't like the sport shift on the highway just cruising. This is my first automatic, and it seems to me it's always just a little off. Not far, but not quite the right gear for my driving style.
So anyway, if I understand correctly, on the 2012's it has 3 ways of shifting; normal, sport and paddle. All seem to have different characteristics.
My question is: can the trinity change the behavior of all 3, or just one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts