Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while washing and waxing for the first time there are 3 marks that run from the rear window to the sunroof , they are about 1/4 in. wide. they look like some sort of roller marks the car is cool vanilla i thouight they would rub out with wax but no luck. i dont know if dealer can rub it out or not without hurting the clearcoat. 1,400 miles first problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would try claybar first before taking it back. I've had very good luck in getting pretty much anything that isn't a scratch off of the paint with them.
Just follow the directions that come with the bar and you'll be good to go.
Good luck!
Maguiers, Zaino, Mother's all make claybars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the same marks - on the driver's side, but mine go from the level of about where the sunroof starts to the area near the back of the driver's door. Overall the width is about a quarter inch but it is made of three individual marks, each one looking almost like a spider web strand. My car was made around 8/8 or 8/9. I wonder if some machine at the plant was causing these around that time.

My dealer said he thought they were minor and was afraid they'd make it worse if they tried to get them out. (I have a black vehicle and am afraid of that holograming you sometimes get with aggressive buffing.) He did say that if they really bothered me they could try to get them out. I haven't decided what to do yet. I'm relatively short so I don't see them very often - just in the right light or when washing/waxing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A pure wax will do nothing but apply a coat of wax on the paint. The cleaner/wax has some cleaning properties but it's a compromise in both cleaning as well as waxing. It's my guess that you probably used a cleaner/wax and that didn't do it. Rule of thumb, start the least agressive then move up as necessary.

You can certainly try a clay bar (be sure to use the lubricant) but I don't think that will do it. A clar bar is designed to grab tiny little contaminents that are bonded to the paint.

I suggest the following:
1. Use a paint cleaner (no abrasive) polish that relys on chemical for cleaning the paint instead of abrasives. A good "over the counter" one is Meguire's StratchX.

2. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to go to an a little more agressive. Check out Meguire's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. If that doesn't work then....

3. Go to 3M Perfect-it Finishing Compound #39002. This may induce some haze which can easily be corrected by a finishing polish such as 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover.

I've used all four products on a DARK GREEN Q45 with great results. The above products are should all be applied with a foam pad. Even the finishing compound works very well on dark colors and it's my "Hail Mary" when nothing else works. It has saved my ASS many times. Trust me it's "when nothing else works and you really don't want to repaint" solution.

Don't worry about the word "compound" it's a designed to be used on clear coats and is reasonably safe to use. I would use it on my Midnight Blue 300C without a problem if I needed to.

Finally, i I was you, I'd spend the 5 bucks and try the Meguires ScratchX. I think it will do the job. I don't think the clay bar will work.

And yes, I am a detailer (albiet, it's more of a hobby than a profession).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmwhat? marks in the paint.

thanks for all the info. i am a meguires fan anyway. the car only has 1,700 miles on it. going to let the dealer look at it first,i think i would rule out any paint job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts