Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently own a 1998 Dodge Durango which I bought new and it now has 127,000 miles on it. I have been a member of the Durango Owners Club for almost as long as I have had the truck and they run a similar message board to this one.

In the Spring of 2005 my dad purchased a 300 "Limited", it is pretty well loaded but does NOT have the Hemi engine. At one time I was trying to research tires from him so I joined your group.

Sadly, Dad passed away two weeks ago....sort of unexpected, he was diagnosed with Leukemia on the last Tuesday of Feb and 4 days later (March 1) passed away.

Knowing my Durango is getting "tired" I thought (in my dreams) it would be nice to get a Charger (w/Hemi) or maybe Challenger......but probably more realistic to get some sort of SUV. I had a Toyota FJ Cruiser in mind.

Now that dad has passed, I may have an opportunity to take his car. My Mom, who is 68, has a very nice 2002 Mercury Sable (leather interior) that she bought new and only had 20,000 miles on it. Quite frankly, I don't see why that car won't last another 10 years at the rate she drives. Yesterday she told me I could have the 300, but I am not going to rush her....

The point of all this is.... had I ordered the car, I would have gotten one with a Hemi but Dad was 69 when he bought it and I guess he wasn't looking for a hot rod. It only has 16,000 miles on it and it is clean....there are 2 years left on the loan, if I take it over I think it is a good deal compared to paying for a new car....and I will feel like Dad is with me every time I drive it.

I guess what I am looking for with all this dribble is....some sort of validation that it's a nice car even w/o the hemi.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Welcome to the forums k2. Please accept my condolences over the sudden, unexpected loss of your father. I can see the love and respect you had for him.

No matter what happens, you will NOT regret it should you take over his vehicle payments. This is a most enjoyable vehicle regardless of the engine size. Not making rash decisions at this time is very important to remember.

Take it easy and let us know how else we might be able to assist you.

Sincerely,
bruno

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I know you're not exactly new here, but welcome anyway. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad so recently. This must have been a difficult post for you to make. Please don't think your post was dribble either.

I think you said it best that you'll feel like Dad was with you every time you drive it. Personally that touched me a lot. For me, when my wife passed away I couldn't even sit in her car and got rid of it right away.

If the car gives you good feelings and fond memories when you drive it, take it over. If it brings sadness, let it go. Only you know will know what the car means to you, and even that may take time to know for sure. Hemi or not this is still a great car.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bruno & Bernie~

I've been using the car since Sunday, while my Durango is in the shop...that's a whole other story for another forum, and I have to tell you....Monday night I had to run to CVS to pick up a prescription...I should have been gone no more than 10 minutes as the CVS is a block away.... and I was gone for an hour....just driving around..... had they been open i would have even driven to the cemetery.

I know you're not exactly new here, but welcome anyway. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad so recently. This must have been a difficult post for you to make. Please don't think your post was dribble either.

I think you said it best that you'll feel like Dad was with you every time you drive it. Personally that touched me a lot. For me, when my wife passed away I couldn't even sit in her car and got rid of it right away.

If the car gives you good feelings and fond memories when you drive it, take it over. If it brings sadness, let it go. Only you know will know what the car means to you, and even that may take time to know for sure. Hemi or not this is still a great car.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Bernie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to hear the loss of your dad K2emp.

I lost my dad back in 2005. He gave me his truck one year before he died and I sold it.....now I regret selling it.

I've had my 2006 300 Limited for over a year and Luv'n it.

God Bless You and Your Family.

xCrazyDragonx

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my 300 Touring 3.5 for three weeks, and I'm lovin it.

Most people that don't own a 300 have no idea what you have under the hood. The car is sweet. Mine is an 05'.

I will warn you be careful pulling up all the way against the front tires in parking spaces, the front end on these cars is really low, you will eventually snage the bottom belly pan in front and it will snap off. It makes a loud sound as you back up, you can't miss it...ask me how I know!!!! 3 times now.

Sorry to hear about your father.

-Jeff

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss and I know how you feel about your Dad's car. Yes, I would drive it in honor of his memory and he will be in your heart when you do enjoy the car. Yes, it is low and it does scrape occasionaly due to the 17 inch tires, it is fabulous on gas mileage and extremely reliable. I have had the 3.5 and it is of ample power and you won't be disappointed with it.
I believe driving his car will help in what you are going through now, and you will love the car.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Sorry to read of your loss. My father passed from leukemia more than 10 years ago at age 68. It took about 3 months from diagnosis to the funeral. Your situation was even tougher I'm sure... so quick.

You will LOVE the "Limited"... nice appointments and the 3.5L powerplant goes down the road with a good sense of urgency. How do I know? We rented a 3.5 Touring before we ever bought and the performance was good enough that we had decided to order one. Fuel economy on our rental road trip was 27-28 mpg... until we decided to try some E85 in MN... then 18-19 mpg and an eventual CEL. So we went back to 87 octane pertrol.

But then a Certified Pre-owned Hemi 300C came into play after we got home, and it was game over.

Please give our condolenses to your mother as well!

·
Registered
311 Posts
My condolences on your loss. My dad died in '76 and I still miss him every day. I've had my 3.5 Limited since August '04 and love it. The 3.5 is plenty spirited, not like the Hemi of course, but it runs well and gets good mileage. I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I am really sorry for the lost of your father.I can see how much you loved him.Ive been driving a 05 htree yrs now. Bought it brand new and loving it like the first day i got it.My 300 has a 3.5 and its fast enough.And god bless you and your family.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm very sorry you are going through this situation. Never being in this position all I can suggest is to act in a manner that is best for you and your family. Either way (keeping or selling the car) I know for a fact that your father is watching down over you and guiding you through the decision. This took a lot of guts to make this post and we're glad you did. It helps to remind us all to cherish the time we have with our loved ones. I'll definitely keep you and your family in my prayers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am sorry to read of your loss. It is clear you were close to your Father and by all means do what keeps you close to good memories.

Have no doubt you will find much pleasure with the car and again my condolences to you and yours,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts