Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I read a post that made a reference to "stick on crap", I have also read posts that seem to be negative towards people who may not do their own mods. Like pay a shop or mechanic to do it.

I am just wondering if the general feeling by the majority of members here sorta looks down on or have a negative view of certain things. If I have stick ons, or pay mechanic or shop to add things on am I considered to be less of the ideal 300c owner.

Just wondering and don't hold back on your thoughts.:scared:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Who cares what people think. Some people have the time, resources and skills to mod their cars, others don't. Just cuz I do my own oil changes and brakes doesn't mean i'm a "better" 300 owner. just means i have some free time:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I have more money than I have time. Therefore I let the mechanic (whose family needs to be fed and whose paycheck adds to our local economy) do the dirty work for me. For years I worked on my own cars. Now I drive them instead.
If the car's your hobby, by all means, work on it yourself. If you have other things to do (or don't want to do the work), that's OK, too. The main thing is that you enjoy your 300C.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have more money than I have time. Therefore I let the mechanic (whose family needs to be fed and whose paycheck adds to our local economy) do the dirty work for me. For years I worked on my own cars. Now I drive them instead.
If the car's your hobby, by all means, work on it yourself. If you have other things to do (or don't want to do the work), that's OK, too. The main thing is that you enjoy your 300C.
well said:fing02:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I do what I can myself because it's fun. The things I can't do I get quotes for and then either save up or go in a different directions. You're ride is what you make it and how you want to do it. Unless someone is paying for your car and for the work you want to do then they don't have a say. If you want to put some stick on decals go for it and if you want to pay someone for some work more power to you. The bottom line is that you are enjoying your car, because that's the point.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I've never done my own oil change, ever. I'll take the brakes off a car and swap em, I've done spark plug changes, but I've never changed the oil in my car. Why? I don't have room, don't have the right kinda jacks, and I'm pretty damn freaked out of the thought of laying underneath a 4200lb tank.

As for mods, that's up to you - myself, I love the car the way it is! However, some people think that stock cars are lame, and even the "OOPS!" mods are better than no mods.

I *DO* think stick-on kits are lame, but it's your car! To me, they look kinda weird because they leave so much of the plastic underneath showing. Truth be told, wood in the inside of the car isn't my thing (I'm 21, it's not supposed to be)

The weird thing is the oldschool Dodge Charger had wood inside - the Chrysler 300 didn't (at least, I don't think it did!)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey Deb! finally got to the post, IMO, it doesn't matter how or what is done to your car, as long as you have passion for it.

#1, everybody's car is their own, maybe we may not all agree on the same mods or like them :yuck: but that's what moding is all about, the opportunity for each person to chase their individual dream for their car. It might be to be as fast as you can be, have the loudest stereo, the tallest ride for mudding or rock climbing (even in a 300) or have the biggest donked out wheel and tire combo you can find, or even if you car looks like a box of crayons puked on it to what you would call a custom paint job:scared: .
#2. If you can afford to have it done and don't have time, go for it. Or if you have time but can't afford to have it done then learn to D.I.Y.

Or in some instances a combination of the two, might afford to do it, have them time but just not want to DIY (or maybe you do just want to DIY, I actually enjoy tinkering with my baby).

Sometimes it's not having all the tools or all the time actually needed, this would be me... I do most if not all my own mods or participate in them in some way. design, planning, ect....

...but keeping my car up on stands or putting it out of commission for too long is not an option. So, either I try to plan things out and borrow tools I may not have or ask a friend to get something going while I'm at work and show up later, or give instructions to someone and pray they don't F it up. (I'm a little picky so I try to do this the least possible.)

I don't really care how complex your mod is, stick on, bolt on, weld on, or a custom fabrication (my fav,like a create your own). If you like it and have the C.O.Jones to do it then go for it, it might catch on, it might not.

I mean that's what makes this fun, some mods are unique and make you say wow, others are unique (and make you say thank goodness it's uniquely applied to that poor bastards ride, LOL)

I mean not everyone will be pleased with what we do to our own cars.. WTF? I guess, It's like to some our mods will smell like roses, to others it'll smell like kitty litter and fritos...

My thing is the bratty owners who know nothing about their cars and less about the mods they "heard of" and think they want because it's cool or someone else did it but have no idea what it does. In short, posers. To me if you're a poser and try to act like you're the big poo, it doesn't work for me. :smashfrea

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
If you have the skills to do a mod and do it... great for you. If you have a vision for your car and communicate that to a shop and they make it the way you want... great for you. If you don't really care, but have the money to buy a show car that is somenone else's vision... great for you.

But... if you're the latter and then you try to talk like you know the car inside and out and did it all yourself... expect to be called out.

If you are either of the former and ask for opinions... you're going to get a full range of like/love it and don't/hate it.

Most of us will give an honest opinion of the mod without being personal with comments about the person. As has been said... if you like it, that's the only thing that matters because it's your car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hmmmmmmm..........I have learned that I can do some mods and then some are just flat out out of my range. IMO, there is nothing like doing a mod and being able to look at it after you get done and know that you did it yourself. It's like cutting the grass or cutting my hair, knowing it looks good, and being able to admirer my work. I have the money to do a lot of my mods but doing them myself gives me the knowledge and satisfaction I can't get from paying someone. However, you have to know when something is out of your range. I'm sure there's nothing more frustrating than trying to do it yourself, failing, and paying extra money to get it done correctly. Know when to hold em, know when to fold em.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I would love to do my own work but I do not have the Time, Tools or Skills. I could probably figure some of the stuff out, but that would be time I would rather spend doing something else, Like driving my car or a golf ball. As for stick ons , it is a matter of personal taste, I am not a fan personally, but I would not put anyone down for doing it. It's your car, your money do with it what you will. Just know that when you ask for opinions on things you have to be prepared for negative as well as the positive. However, there is a respectful way to voice your disagreement with someones taste. Something a few members on here could take a lesson in. Nice thread it has started a lot of dialoge.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Do want you want to do!! Its your car!

People love to throw stones.. been doing it since Adam and Eve... so don't take it personally. Once one does it here.. others join in...

I like a clean look, but I will say, I have seen a few rides in person with the hated fender vents that looked sharp,,, even though I don't personally like them...

I like Tim's advice... just don't act like you did it if you had someone else do it.... you'll get a load of grief for being fake.

I can do almost all car work although I am a bit rusty at this time of life due to my current occupation, but I will always take my car to a good shop. That way, I can help another keep the economy going, I can be assured that it isn't messed up due to being the first time like it would be if I did it..etc. Of course, when I retire from the military and get my own house with garage, maybe I'll start restoring and working on cars again..

Do your own thing! If it is different than what others would do, you will always get some stones. Just put on the armor, and refrain from throwing them back.. and the great members here will stand up for your right of self expression..

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like the others have said, I enjoy doing the mods that I have the ability and skills to do on my cars and then take the car to a shop if I cannot do it. A lot of times I'll figure out how to do it instead of paying over-inflated charges at shops. For example: installing headrest monitors in my 300. The lowest estimate I got was $800 to install a 7 inch screen in each headrest - and that was with me already having the screens.

I said screw that, it can't be too hard. Took it home and spent 2.5 hours of my time and got them in. Was the install perfect, no, but to the naked eye you wouldn't be able to tell. Took them back to the electronics shop, paid $50 to have them connect all the power & wires.

The more mods I do myself the greater the sense of pride I feel when somebody on the street says "hey sweet ride" and I can tell them all about the car. Especially if you do something custom.

I've had a couple cars that had several custom items on them and then sold the cars only to see them show up on the net or at car shows with the new owner claiming they did/or had the work done. That's just not cool :twak:

·
Registered
297 Posts
for stick ons are you talking about fake stuff like vents?

as for as doing the mods my self. I have no tools and live in an apt with outdoor parking. Im not doing any mods my self...

To me it doesnt matter if you put the mod in your self or not.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You dont have to do anything yourself unless you want to. Personally I dont really do any mechanical repairs to my own cars anymore. Im sick of working on cars and honestly I think technology is passing me by a little.

Anything beyond spark plugs and it is going to the shop. lol

Most mods I do myself though. Most are very easy and not dirty work. Im not going to pay a shop $100 just to put some new HID fog lights in.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Another reason why some of us might not do our own mods (aside from possibly chipping nail) :biggrin:

Either way you look at it, HID (Having It Done) or DIY, it beats walking or running everywhere..

·
Banned
20 Posts
Recently I read a post that made a reference to "stick on crap", I have also read posts that seem to be negative towards people who may not do their own mods. Like pay a shop or mechanic to do it.

I am just wondering if the general feeling by the majority of members here sorta looks down on or have a negative view of certain things. If I have stick ons, or pay mechanic or shop to add things on am I considered to be less of the ideal 300c owner.

Just wondering and don't hold back on your thoughts.:scared:

There are other 300 sites on the web, use google, search for them, they are very helpful

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Do what you gotta do.
I f you want something and can't do it or don't want to do it yourself pay someone else to.

I had my headers done by someone else only because I did not have the time or all the tools needed to make it a smooth install...

Enjoy your car!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Do what you have the time and experience to do yourself and pay someone else to do the rest.

I personally am not into modding my car, but I can respect the people that take the time to do it themselves and the people that have the money to pay someone else to do it for them.

I pay someone to do all the work on my car, including the oil changes. If it needs brakes, I'll pay for that too. With a wife and two kids, it is difficult to find time to work on my car, and it would probably take me twice as long to do something like replacing the rotors or brake pads myself as it would an experienced mechanic. My wife doesn't even like it when I spend an hour washing or waxing my car.

Everyone has different priorities in their life, and working on my car is not one of them. I've got lots of other things I would rather be doing, and I'm sure there are lots of other forum members who have similar feelings...(maybe not).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got back to this post

it has been a helluva week and today is only Tuesday.
I am glad to see so many interesting responses and seems the general feeling
is to each his own style be it self or pay someone else. Just don't claim something was done by you and it wasn't.

One thing I had done I was ready to pay and the head shop guy said put your wallet back this one is on the house.

Only in small town USA.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll
glad I didn't get the smackdown :joke:

·
Registered
683 Posts
it has been a helluva week and today is only Tuesday.
I am glad to see so many interesting responses and seems the general feeling
is to each his own style be it self or pay someone else. Just don't claim something was done by you and it wasn't.

One thing I had done I was ready to pay and the head shop guy said put your wallet back this one is on the house.

Only in small town USA.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll
glad I didn't get the smackdown :joke:
we won't give you the smackdown until we see what you did to your car, that's how it works around here. :joke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts