Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
basically because mcintosh is at a differnet level this is the known as the hi-fi of audio. Use some of the top components to build there decks and usually have the best sound quality available. Some other high end decks to look for are the denon decks as well as nakamichi also at this level. I know a lot of guys that do sound quality competitions and run these decks. The down side is their is no glitz like the pioneer decks or eclipse just sound perfection.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
McIntosh is from the home audiophile world, as is Mark Levinson. To build a home audio two channel rig with these components you could tie up more than the price of a 300 SRT8 in one amplifier alone.. Is it worth it? Sure, to an audiphile with the very disposable income it is.. They use the best electronic components, hand picked, hand tested, etc.. Does that mean they will perform the best at an SQ Comp? Not always...

You pay for the top 1% it's no different than buying Focal or Dynaudio drivers, Butler Audio amps etc.. The best name brands are the names you've never heard of.. one of those deals I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I still wish I had bought the McIntosh MC 2600 ( 2 each, bridged) back in the day when I had the chance. It was too hard to get overseas, and I finally settled for some DBX gear, which served me fine.

When I buy my house, I will get my McIntosh system, just not the bridged two-channel (unless I 'settle' on a Sunfire..LOL). Awesome quality... and as you can see, holds its re-sale value well.

The super esoteric stuff is aimed at the rich... but its purpose comes into play with mainly high dynamic range material... especially classical music. Most classical is hard to reproduce at concert levels faithful to the original. I thought my system could handle it well, until I heard a high end system. No comparison.

I can not hear the difference in speaker wire or interconnects, and don't need the $3000 a foot ones that are on sale. I wouldn't buy a tube system at $100K that had an output of 35 watts either, but there are plenty of folks who will.

besides, I listen to mainly no dynamic range music ala Doom, thrash, etc and can live with a lesser system...

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
You don't have to spent 100K to get good tubes :) My 20 Watt Single Ended MonoBlocks were less than a grand and they sound FANtastic! :)

And I make my own interconnects (and in some cases, speakers too). I agree I can't hear the difference between Nordost gold's and Kimber Cables or Monster Cable or Radio Shack cable.. As long as the cable is made right, it's doing it's job.

You can ease the demands of dynamic range with super efficient speakers and that's why I am working on nearly 9' tall Line Arrays for the 2 channel rig. The Hornie guys do the same thing but with Altec VOT's or JBL Paragons etc..

Very efficient and able to go 100+ DB in a big room with very low tube power.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
You'd do well with that sensitive of a speaker with low power tubes !

I have looked at a simple, inexpensive rig from Sunfire.... I just don't trust that type of Amp even though Bob Carver is well respected in the High Mass market arena. I should just stick to the McIntosh so I don't regret another 20 years.

Man, can't wait to stop moving so I can hook myself up! I always wanted to get a good set of Martin Logan or similar speakers for the listening room.... but of course will have to re-think depending on the house I buy and the type of environment in it...

I still remember my youth drooling over VMPS speakers..

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
If I ever get off my lazy duff and finish the Line Array's they are perfectly suited to tubes. Basically each cabinet is an 8.5' tall column comprised of 12 7" woven kevlar midranges and 12 planar ribbon tweeters that's a total of 24 mids and 24 ribbons. The sensitivity is roughly 104-110 DB 1 W 1 Meter. Originally they were spec'd out for passive crossovers and I have all the components here to do the XO's (Solen metalized poly audio caps, mills resistors and perfect lay air wound inductors all +/- 1% spec) but I may opt to go active with Marchand or something from Behringer so I can do active curves and delays.

If you want to build a top notch two channel rig (or even a multi channel rig) and don't want to spend Mark Levinson money, seriously look into the Halo line from Parasound. I have a Parasound Halo P1 Pre Amp and it's a workhorse and has all the best goodies in it. All of the Halo line was audiophole designed, the JC1 Monoblocks were personally designed by John Curl and are some of the best Class A's out there in the price bracket. Good stuff!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree I can't hear the difference between Nordost gold's and Kimber Cables or Monster Cable or Radio Shack cable.. As long as the cable is made right, it's doing it's job.
Oh, the ever famous interconnect/audiophile debate.

I don't want to start something, but James Randi has offerred his $1MM prize to anyone who can prove that high performance interconnects offer audible differences over low priced interconnects:

Calling Bullshit: James Randi Offers $1 Million If Audiophiles Can Prove $7250 Speaker Cables Are Better

If anyone isn't familiar with James Randi, he's the gentlemen who - back in the day - "debunked" famous people such as Yuri Gellar, Peter Popoff, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The first thing to come to my mind was shoving a Mac Mini in your car...
Very oldschool. Macintosh computers haven't been "Macintosh" for quite a while. They're all "Macs" now :D
I'd be happy with a klipsch sound system. Much cheaper ^_^
A good - and very key - point to remember in the audio world is brought up here by OoTLink, which is "buy what you like". I was many times given funny looks and off-color remarks about my choice of audio components (Vandersteen loudspeakers, and an old Onkyo amp with bi-wired Radio Shack zip cord for interconnects). Sounds strange, I know, but it was a) cheap, and b) sounded great.

Just remember that no matter who you talk to, they are NOT going to be the ones who listen to your stereo (home or car) on a regular basis. You are the one who listens on a regular basis, and you should be happy with what you have, regardless of whether it's Radio Shack speakers connected to a cheap amp or Maggies conected to Krell monoblocks with Pear Anjou interconnects.

Opinions are like a$$holes - everybody's got one, but the one that matters most is yours.

That's not to say that there's always better stuff out there - but that comes down to 2 investments: time (to educate, listen, and form an opinion on what you like and why you like it) and, as always, money.

There's always a tradeoff.

As for my opinion, I'd never put McIntosh in my car. But I'm somewhat more than 1/2 deaf now, and in any case wouldn't try to get decent quality audio in one of the noisiest environments known to humanity (our cars).

But, that's just my opinion, my $0.02 (which is worth significantly less in other countries thanks to our economy).

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I'm definitely not an audio guru, I just like to mess around enough to get things to my liking :) That said, I've been pretty happy with the OEM speakers, but what do I know? I spend most of my time listening to modern-ish jazz :)

I WOULD shove a mac mini in my car! The truth be told though, if I spent some time working on it I could probably make a decent carputer app to run on the ipod touch/iphone that'd do fine. The icing on the cake would be hooking it up to an external (ahem, in the center stack) display to make it look like it really is a carputer, after all those things are surprisingly capable, just lacks GPS, but so do most computers ;)

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Adding GPS is easy.. Delorme Street Atlast 2008 + and the Delorme Earthlink GPS Antenna. :)

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
That brings up an interesting question.. How noisy are our 300's... I think I will take my Decibell meter with me and find out! :) I am betting that our cars are actually very quiet.. I bet on the highway with the windows up, the heater and stereo off, the cabin's nominal DB reading is in the 50 range.. My Boat is lucky to get any lower than say 80! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts