Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder when and IF D-C will come out with an MDS for the SRT8 6.1 hemi engine in the SRT8's? Can anyone tell me what the plan is? Will this happen, and if so, about when? By the way I LOVE the Legend series with the red/white/blue medallions like the early ('57-62 letter series) 300's. Good going Chrysler! Now I can have a mate to my '61 G Hardtop...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Websters

Look up the definition of SRT8 in the dictionary and you'll find, Wow,Fun,Fast and no consideration for Economy, How fun would that be. :AR15firin

·
Registered
443 Posts
MDS on an SRT8 is kinda like putting a screen door on a submarine.....just doesn't make much sense

if you want or need the MDS then the power from a 300c is really all you need

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Just to play the devil's advocate...

So you're saying that the MSD system reduces the power of the 5.7 Hemi? How is that? When you need the torque and power MSD turns off w/in 40 ms... you've got all the horses at your disposal. Why wouldn't that make sense for any Hemi?

I mean I understand all the "if you want economy, blah, blah, blah," but why not get both the additional power... and the occassional economy? Unless there is some fundamental hardware weakness of the MDS system as horsepower and engine and valve dimensions increase.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
flyntgr...

doen't expect it to happen with this motor...

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
been said

read, read, read. or ask allpar.com.

reason for no MDS on 6.1 is non compatible with aggressive camshaft specs.

Besides, no offense, but if economy is an issue there are lots of better choices.

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Registered
625 Posts
Economy

stevesrt8 said:
read, read, read. or ask allpar.com.

reason for no MDS on 6.1 is non compatible with aggressive camshaft specs.

Besides, no offense, but if economy is an issue there are lots of better choices.

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software
I have an SRT-8 and economy is real important to me. I support the economy every couple of days by purchasing 19 more gallons of premium!

Dan

·
Registered
593 Posts
the reason they didn't put it on the 6.1 is, as stated, it physically did not fit on the engine after they got done playing with it. Nothing fundamentally wrong with the 6.1 having MDS (I'd hate having something else that can and will break...and rarely get used!). However, since the off the shelf one won't fit, they're not going to build a special one just for limited production cars...and I'm assuming that the MDS would at best reduce but absolutely not eliminate the GGT...which was the purpose of putting it on the 5.7, right? You can't tell me they were feeling particularly "green" that day....

·
Registered
781 Posts
DanRealtor said:
I have an SRT-8 and economy is real important to me. I support the economy every couple of days by purchasing 19 more gallons of premium!

Dan
Not to mention the environment. The sooner we drain all that dino-fuel out of the ground, the sooner we'll be driving alternative fuel vehicles :amish:

Rick

REINSTATE RALPH 'SPECKLER' MARTENS

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read an article in one of the car magazines several months ago and the SRT guys said they wouldn't rule out the possiblity of an MDS engine in a future version of the SRT. I have the MDS in my 300C and it is seamless. If they did do an MDS in the SRT and it didn't affect performance we might be able to avoid the $2100 gas guzzler tax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts