Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few threads on the MDS system the Hemi 5.7 and how to disable it:

I have read a mixed review on changing the viscosity/type of oil, I assume not everyone gets the same results down to ambient temperatures and driving conditions, i.e. a lot of short journeys will see the oil thinned with contaminates that longer journeys would burn off. (petrol/condensation) And people who live in hotter climates might see a different result to those who live in a colder climate?

I am sure I have also read about disconnecting the system via the solenoids but this may or will throw up fault codes?

Not using the D (5th) on the auto box

I have asked a main dealer in the south west if they could disable the system, after the shock of why would you want to do that I managed to speak to a head tech in the service department who said "I have never been asked that before I will check" 10 mins latter got a call to say no it can not be disabled. Not 100% convinced on that has anyone else spoke to a main dealer who would be happy to disable the MDS?

Last but not least a remap I know of the Diablo is their any other? Does anyone in the UK supply these?

Have been thinking of getting rid of the MDS because I think the kick down is very lazy and very slow to react at times. I think if the system was running on all 8 cylinders all of the time the car would have better throttle response and more bottom end torque. I am also considering unleashing more of the V8 exhaust tone, it is a little subdue. I know some have had issues with changing the exhaust system whilst the MDS is still active causing a drone in the cabin. Would like a balance of having car fairly quite for when SWMBO is sitting in the car and for when I want to let it rip a bit. Electric cut outs seem a bit extreme going from standard to LOUD.

Would like a few opinions on this with people who have gone down this route, I have listened to a few samples on youtube etc but I think you never get an accurate sound with the vids online

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
these cars have lazy kickdown - all models, even those without MDS....its the adaptive system that learns to be an old granny due to us bumbling around most of the time
as a first experiment, pull out you fuse number 11 for 10 minutes, (engine off!). That resets the adaptive settings in your shift computer....if you then drive in a 'spirited' way, it should have better kickdown....but after a week or two it will gradually revert unless you drive like a racer all the time - just pull the fuse again

If that doesnt sort it out, a Diablosport Predator can help with firming changes & kickdown....you can also disable MDS with it (but I dont think MDS is your problem), as well as giving your car a good tune. DS is pretty much the only sane tuner to use on our car - they do so many other things beyond engine tunes)

you can make your system louder by losing the centre box....its the ones near the exhaust tips that stop the drone, so dont ditch them! If thats still too loud, just put a generic Magnaflow 2 into 1 into 2 sport silencer in its place - you can get them over here (importer in Droitwich)

cutouts arent on/off only....you can partially open them to any degree if you want to moderate the sound. I dont particularly advise them though, theyre pretty tempremental

as an extra, I found this tuner, in the EU (no VAT/import duty) which is suitable (I checked on the DS website)

- only 16 hours left though, so get your skates on!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diablospo...072726302?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item2580aec11e

inTune i1000 touch screen flasher

to make account changes. Was bought this year for $499, is 4 months old, guarantee still exists, backup has been restored again, device is free again for another car. Was applied only to 1 vehicle. Used but like new, display with screen protector.

Description:

Universal OBD-II (SAE) error code reading device
Free online updates

Stainless steel case

Simple games by updates, tunes, etc with drag-and-drop

State-of-the-art: two-processor, 1 GB memory

Very fast games of tunes

Analog 5V Terminal (E.g. for wide-band lambda sensor)

Diablosport uses vehicle protocol engine

Tunes can be removed without leaving any residue, it will leave no watermark

Already there are eco- and performance tunes

Very many setting possibilities

Large color touch screen

USB interface

Fit for:

2005-2014 Ford Mustang V6, GT, GT500

2010-2013 Chevrolet Camaro V6, SS

2001-2013 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

2008-2010 Dodge Charger, Challenger V6, RT, SRT8
and many more...

more information under: www.diablosport.com

Device is again original packed with all the accessories.
Private sale, no warranty, withdrawal, etc.

The shipping is done after receipt of payment insured shipping with Hermes.
For professional reasons, the shipping is only from the 8.8.2013.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought by replacing any part of the OEM exhaust you would get cabin drone due to the MDS kicking in and firing on 4 cylinders will change the frequency of the exhaust tone. I am still trying to search through the forum to get more info on exhausts and MDS options.

I think speaking to people and getting to a few meets will help, knowing what others have done and seeing/hearing the results is the best way to go. I will keep my eyes posted for any future meets/events

I don't have an ebay a/c but have seen one for sale on this forum, listed at £200 but has not listed what version of Diablosport it is. Just asked the seller what version it is

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
I thought by replacing any part of the OEM exhaust you would get cabin drone due to the MDS kicking in and firing on 4 cylinders will change the frequency of the exhaust tone. I am still trying to search through the forum to get more info on exhausts and MDS options.

I think speaking to people and getting to a few meets will help, knowing what others have done and seeing/hearing the results is the best way to go. I will keep my eyes posted for any future meets/events

I don't have an ebay a/c but have seen one for sale on this forum, listed at £200 but has not listed what version of Diablosport it is. Just asked the seller what version it is

there is ONLY one Intune which covers all models & makes that DS cater for....it'll fit, if you can still buy it

its the rear 'resonators' - the final silencers - that cant be removed for fear of drone - theyre what Chrysler designed to cure the issue

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
He ^^^^ has it pretty well covered in both posts.

MDS is an electro-mechanical system that is control based in the PCM. Without re-programming to change that specific line of code, the PCM would identify a non-functioning system and alert you to the fault. The programmers key in on the lines of code controlling the MDS function to disable it. The dealers have not been provided a similar function within their standard scan systems and they DO NOT use aftermarket electronic tools.

The drone issue is most prevalent when the stock resonators are removed. To avoid drone, or at least mitigate it when you go with aftermarket parts, there are several options:

1. Turn MDS off with a programmer. Frankly, MDS is not that much of a help.
2. Replace your stock muffler with some aftermarket mufflers and leave the rest of the stock system in place.
3. Purchase a full catback system with resonators.

Options 2 & 3 result in a louder exhaust and the potential for a bit of drone to intrude when MDS mode is engaged.

You mentioned a slow kickdown out of OD and/or MDS mode. That's normal and it can be mitigated with a programmer. There are other benefits to a programmer that fold nicely into your other issue, namely MDS. They are:

1. A bit higher line pressure in the transmission to firm up shifts and eliminate some of that kickdown "lag".
2. A cooler running engine after you install a 180 degree thermostat and modifying the fan settings with the programmer.
3. More efficient engine management for air/fuel optimization, timing, knock retard and spark advance at all throttle inputs.

Believe it or not...adding a programmer, intake, exhaust and thermostat can actually improve MPG. I have practical and positive experience with these modifications on two HEMI engines and I am very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
If you decide to switch off MDS, you can benefit by reducing the drone associated with after market exhaust systems and fuel economy is not significantly altered. Safest way to switch of MDS, is by using DB programmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts