Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a slight surge at freeway speeds when the mds shuts off. Should I just disable the mds? What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting with the mds completely off? I'm running the performance tune, everything else stock if that helps. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
it's the reduced torque management that causes that..

I dropped from 14.3 mpg (city) to 13.7 mpg (city) turning it off..

it is only a 9% increase in MPG according to Chrysler.. in "perfect" drving conditions..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is reduced torque management just a part of the performance tune?

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
yeah, the diablo takes aways some of the computer management in the performance tunes.. opening up the motor for more power/performance..

as I understand it from Johan @ diablo, doing this causes the MDS to be less "seamless" in it's transitions..

·
Registered
115 Posts
I turned MDS off, fuel consumption changed from just under 11 litres per 100 kilometres to 11.4 litres, but no issues with the performance. Worth the few additional cents!

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Marc,
That mileage number sucks. It that due to where you live. I know the general location,but is it all stop and go? I'm fairly rural so even my "City" driving lets me get or should I say drop down to 23mpg. I remember the thread on how bad the EVIC was. Last tank it showed 26.8.Actual was 391.5 miles 15 gallons used. I asked the attendant to stop at first click ,I'm sure that can change with ambient temperature as the fill up before that it showed 26.4 Actual was 361 miles and 14.2 used. It off but not that much. Mind you I don't drive either fast or quickly. I don't feel the need.Performance is not that great.On the occasion I do run it hard though. My only mods are AFE stage 2.Waiting for my corsa. although it could be argued the 22Elite console cover saves gas

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Yes. For those of us who live 2 degrees south of hell( aka New Jersey) it's illegal to pump your own

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
Marc,
That mileage number sucks. It that due to where you live. I know the general location,but is it all stop and go? I'm fairly rural so even my "City" driving lets me get or should I say drop down to 23mpg. I remember the thread on how bad the EVIC was. Last tank it showed 26.8.Actual was 391.5 miles 15 gallons used. I asked the attendant to stop at first click ,I'm sure that can change with ambient temperature as the fill up before that it showed 26.4 Actual was 361 miles and 14.2 used. It off but not that much. Mind you I don't drive either fast or quickly. I don't feel the need.Performance is not that great.On the occasion I do run it hard though. My only mods are AFE stage 2.Waiting for my corsa. although it could be argued the 22Elite console cover saves gas

oh no, my problem is I live 2.1 miles from my daughters school (first stop in the morning) and 3.7 miles from the school to work..

I drive 12/14 miles a day, all city all under 35 mph..

last highway trip I took (300ish miles) I hit 20mpg....

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
That would explain a lot. Years back I was in a similar situation. From not ever going far enough to even burn out the condensation,my exhaust rusted out.Sure as heck don't have that problem now

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
MDS surge was discussed at length over on Diablo's forum.
Personally the surge had me concerned as it felt to me like the powertrian was taking a pretty good lick when it engaged. I had Diablo backoff on the stiffness of the shifts a bit. It reduced the MDS surge to the point where I'm the only one that notices it. The effect on WOT shifts (especially with the raised shift points) feels to be minimal.
As for fuel mileage, I believe in the MDS feature for whatever it can do to improve mileage, so I have not disable my MDS. I had installed an MDS indicator LED some time ago so I can tell when it is engaged. With experience, I have found what helps to get the MDS to engage, and keep it engaged. It engages easily at speeds as low as 25 MPH, sometimes even in
4-th gear.
I have been keeping fuel price and consumption records continuously for more than two years. Since installing the modified Predator 93 octane CAI tune (with raised shift points and reduced radiator fan on/off temperatures to go along with the 180*F Motorad 4128 t-stat) back in February my fuel mileage has gone up about 1/2 mile-per-gallon. Not all that much, but when I consider that I like to hear the CAI and Blastin' Bob glasspacked resonators, I figure any increase in fuel mileage is a plus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts