1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
goddardzilla, yeah I saw that episode yesterday too. That SLR is dynamite and I thought the comment that it was overall better than the McLaren F1 quite interesting.

The are consistant on Top Gear, they never miss an opportunity to criticise American made vehicles. They gave the Escalade a fair beating.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Hemi57

I notice that they have "certain biases" -- I'm not sure anything would escape the old acid comment.

You've gotta give em credit for endorsing the high performance version of the "Vauxhall" Monaro though. I believe it was Jeremy who said about the guy's at Holden designing the Monaro (in his best Aussi accent) --- : "They must have had a photo of me on their desks and said .... Lets build that bloke a KAAR"* ---- that's about as high praise as your going to get.

I just hope they test an SRT8 - I bet they hope they do too ...... earlier today I emailed them suggesting it. :)

Zilla

*sp. deliberate to convey accent

Monaro= current Goat

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Zilla, it was a good idea mailing them to try the SRT.

Hey I reckon it is you guys who have the funny accents not us Aussies :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hemi57 said:
Zilla, it was a good idea mailing them to try the SRT.

Hey I reckon it is you guys who have the funny accents not us Aussies :)
That's an interesting comment about accents

I'm originally from England but have lived in Canada almost 30 years

For most, it appears the brain filters out the familiar leaving it with the unfamiliar to try and identify

Here in Canada they think I'm English, or sometimes from the Antipodies.
When I go back to England they mostly think I'm a Yank occasionally a Canuck
In America they generally think I'm a Limey and sometimes a Canuck.

I guess I have an international accent

-- but some accents are just more difficult to understand - maybe a stong Scottish brogue for example?:)

Before anybody starts getting revved up, my lawyer says to tell you that I do have Scottish blood in my lineage. --- I know, I know that explains everything :p

Now my neck's stuck right out there isn't it? - put that axe down :eek:

Zilla

* all accents are fine with me

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Zilla, I am an expat from England myself too. Left there as a 12 year old in 1965 and I have still managed to retain some of my English accent. When I travel to the US I am usually picked as English which I find amazing as I seem to myself to be as Aussie as they come. I guess I am like you with an "International" accent :)

My wife is an import too, from Austria, who has been here since she was a small baby.

In OZ there are plenty of accents to deal with as we are a real multicultural society.

I had a laugh about your Scottish lineage. Northern English eh? That gets the Scotts riled up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts