Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for performance suspension parts. I've heard/read many say that our cars share some suspension with some Mercedes models. Any specifics on this?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have heard the same thing as a result of Daimler Benz ownership of Chrysler back in the day. Come forward oh suspension tech Gods. This is a good subject to explore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What kind of suspension mods you looking to do? I did strut bar, sway bars, Mopar track Pack suspension, brakes, exhaust and tuning. If you want some performance handling I highly suggest the track pack suspension. I take my car to the mountains and beat the h*ll out of it. Handles surprisingly well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of suspension mods you looking to do?
The most difficult suspension mod I'm trying to do is adaptive shocks. Other choices will depend on if I can accomplish this one. I'd most like to install the system used in the SRT, I think if I installed the control module I'd get the track button.

The problem is that my car is AWD so the front shocks are different and Bilstein doesn't offer an adaptive shock for the AWD front. KW does an adaptive system they call DDC, but they don't offer it at all for any Mopar, but they do for some Mercedes, that's what prompted the question. If the front shocks are similar to a Mercedes maybe one of theirs can be made to work.

The ultimate goal is to put it on air with adaptive shocks. So I can have multiple suspension modes and heights as well as a self adjusting and leveling system. It's a lofty goal, but I think doable if I can figure out the front shocks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EDIT... Never mind I see it's in your signature.

What brake upgrade did you do? I see drilled and slotted rotors but are they stock size? I'm leaning towards the BR9 brakes. I really should do that first, but that's just buying the parts and doing the work. This shock thing is my current research project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are many choices to choose from. H&R or Eibach springs with Koni or Bilstein shocks are pretty basic. Next level up are coilovers which are height adjustable. We carry TEIN, KW and Bilstein.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are many choices to choose from. H&R or Eibach springs with Koni or Bilstein shocks are pretty basic. Next level up are coilovers which are height adjustable. We carry TEIN, KW and Bilstein.
Can you find me what I need?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The previous-generation E-class platform - meaning suspension and sub-frame and probably some steering components - were used for the present RWD versions of Chrysler vehicles - the 300C plus the Dodge Charger/Magnum/Challenger. It shares front and rear suspension geometry, and the first-gen 300/Challenger/Charger shared a fair bit of parts, including suspension control arms, differential, and rear subframe. You can retrofit a lot of parts from an AMG E55 onto a 300C, and a little bit of Googling will find you those build threads.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The previous-generation E-class platform - meaning suspension and sub-frame and probably some steering components - were used for the present RWD versions of Chrysler vehicles - the 300C plus the Dodge Charger/Magnum/Challenger. It shares front and rear suspension geometry, and the first-gen 300/Challenger/Charger shared a fair bit of parts, including suspension control arms, differential, and rear subframe. You can retrofit a lot of parts from an AMG E55 onto a 300C, and a little bit of Googling will find you those build threads.
I've read that, but I've also read that it's only true of the 1st generation. Which makes sense the 2nd gen was built while no longer partnered with Mercedes and many of the suspension parts are different between the 1st and 2nd gen. Are you aware of any confirmation that this applies to the 2nd gen as well?

And of course on a selfish level this only applies to RWD models. Doesn't help me find front parts for my AWD. I was hoping the front AWD parts were parts bin special from Mercedes as well. But I don't know enough about Mercedes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Found this. Check the charger forums.. Does not seem that the 2nd gen is mercedes. 'Based on is not the same as'..

The Dodge Charger and Challenger are currently based on a really old Mercedes-Benz E-Class platform from the 1990s, but it doesn’t look like that is going to change anytime soon. There was a rumor that the next-generation Charger and Challenger would switch to an Alfa Romeo platform, but FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne has refuted those rumors.
When the LX cars came out I was the happy owner of a 1999 300M. I instantly fell in love with the new 300 and knew I'd own one some day. I noticed in most of the early magazine road tests that it was being reported that the LX was based on the Mercedes E Class (W210) platform. The first road test I read in the May 2004 Car & Driver stated this explicitly. But when I saw the photo of the LX suspension display I knew they were wrong. It was clear the front and rear suspensions were designed by Mercedes engineers, but they were not based on the E Class. They were based on the S Class W220 platform. The body itself is not based on the W210 either. The hard points for the LX and W210 are completely different. The LX is a "clean slate" design with front and rear suspensions based on those used in the W220 platform.

The misconception about the LX platform being based on the E Class persists on this and other LX forums. Here is a photo of the W220 S Class front suspension. It should be obvious that the LX front suspension is based on this design. The E Class W210 front suspension looks nothing like this; it is a completely different design.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I seem to recall the connection with the E class suspension in the magz of the time but not identical. Wording like “based on” and “similar to” come to mind. Also, not the exact same bits because the 300 was/is larger than the E and smaller than the S. Finally, I recall the material in the 300 was mostly steel for strength due to higher weight loading whereas the E was mostly aluminum. So, the suspension was not “the same” but the design was intrinsically similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The license for Mercedes content ran out at the end of the calendar year 2009 with the 2010 300s being the last with any Mercedes content.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts