Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving my Chrysler for some time and oil light came on randomly and never checked it. Today was driving and started making a rattling noise and stopped at a gas station. No oil at all and put some in but didn't make if very far and the car died. Tried starting it up and made really loud knocking noises. Anyone know what could be wrong and price to fix?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Sounds like a rod bearing. Requires tearing down the engine as there may be some cylinder damage, crankshaft needs to be inspected as do the main bearings if that's the case.

Expensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like it will be more then the few cans of oil that should of been put in when the light came on. But all that aside could be a number of things, spun bearing, flat lobe, stuck lifter, burned up oil pump. I would check and see what kind of oil pressure you have at idle.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you ignored the oil light coming on, continued to drive it, and then only checked it after it started rattling....only to find NO oil....I'd have to say your hurt that motor pretty damn good and roasted most of everything in it...bearings, lifters, cam, oil pump, etc....

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Been driving my Chrysler for some time and oil light came on randomly and never checked it. Today was driving and started making a rattling noise and stopped at a gas station. No oil at all and put some in but didn't make if very far and the car died. Tried starting it up and made really loud knocking noises. Anyone know what could be wrong and price to fix?
Drewski,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you've experienced. Oil consumption in your 300 can change based on a variety of factors (driving habits, towing, temperature). The oil indicator light is designed to notify you when an oil change is recommended. If the Oil Pressure Warning light is on, it should not be driven until addressed.

Although oil change intervals can vary (never to exceed 6 months or 10,000km), it is important to monitor your fluid levels often in order to ensure all levels are accurate.

As @ekaz has mentioned, a number of components may be affected by the lack of oil. A formal diagnosis will reveal the extent. For reference, I have attached a page from the owners manual that discusses oil change and monitoring intervals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'd start pricing around for a replacement motor if I were you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts