Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a metallic grinding/springy noise coming from the front o/s wheel area.
The strange thing is that it only makes that noise after having driven some considerable distance (50+ miles).

Yesterday, for example, we drove from Deal to Epsom and it started just over half way (only very slight noise). When we drove back in the evening, it was really quite bad by the time we got home.
This morning... nothing. No noise at all. This is the second time this has happened.

Also, I can't hear it when I am driving at 40+ mph, but only when going slower. It is not brake related, since it does not come on when braking. The brakes are not binding either.

Since the car has now done nearly 120k miles, I am thinking it may be the bearings.

The car is booked into the local garage on the 23th, when they will take the wheel off and have a better look. Already been there once, but they only put it on the ramp and could not see anything.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi
I have a metallic grinding/springy noise coming from the front o/s wheel area.
The strange thing is that it only makes that noise after having driven some considerable distance (50+ miles).

Yesterday, for example, we drove from Deal to Epsom and it started just over half way (only very slight noise). When we drove back in the evening, it was really quite bad by the time we got home.
This morning... nothing. No noise at all. This is the second time this has happened.

Also, I can't hear it when I am driving at 40+ mph, but only when going slower. It is not brake related, since it does not come on when braking. The brakes are not binding either.

Since the car has now done nearly 120k miles, I am thinking it may be the bearings.

The car is booked into the local garage on the 23th, when they will take the wheel off and have a better look. Already been there once, but they only put it on the ramp and could not see anything.

Any thoughts anyone?
Most likely the brake disc shield. They corrode around the mounting holes and then flap around a bit. Some bigger washers fixed mine :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
Have received the car back from my trusted mechanic.
He hopes to have fixed the problem, but can't be sure. The o/s brakes were not operating properly. The lower of the two brake gliders at the back of the brake assembly, was intermettently seizing. So, he stripped the whole brake assembly, cleaned it out and greased it. He checked the n/s, but that was fine. He greased that side too, just to be sure. When he checked his records, he noticed that the n/s was done a few years ago.
We will soon be off to France with a number of long drives, so hopefully all will be fine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The noise is back!
Took the car to the garage again and this time he could hear the noise. You can now also hear the noise when the car is stationary and you press down heavely on the front wing.
The mechanic is going to grease spray the bushes and ball joint later today.
Hopefully that will sort it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts