Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking a buying a tent trailer to take camping this summer. The models I am looking at range between 1200 and 1400 lbs.

Today i went to the dealership and they want $720 to install a tow hitch. Is that the usual price?? Where can i go besides a dealership to get one installed??

Is there any negatives to installing the hitch?

Can someone point out somewhere to buy one?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm looking a buying a tent trailer to take camping this summer. The models I am looking at range between 1200 and 1400 lbs.

Today i went to the dealership and they want $720 to install a tow hitch. Is that the usual price?? Where can i go besides a dealership to get one installed??

Is there any negatives to installing the hitch?
i would contact FreebirdSRT by PM to see what he paid. he had one installed on his charger, then had it switched over to his magnum.

·
Registered
476 Posts
there used to be a video online somewhere, posted on a hitch website, showing the installation on a chrysler 300. if you don't want to do the work yourself, i know any Uhaul will do it. if you get the hitch from somewhere online and get it sent to your house, most bodyshops will install it too. they do much more complicated things with cars, but i don't know what it'd cost you. it shouldn't take more than an hour or two, and considering that labor is 80-100$ an hour, you're not talking about a ton of money in labor charges.

edit: here's the video. doesn't seem hard at all, but i do all my own work on my vehicles. YouTube - Trailer Hitch Installation, Chrysler 300 - etrailer.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
I highly recommend doing it yourself and save $$$$. I am not too mechanically inclined, but accomplished the task with the help of another adult to help lift the hitch into place. Check out these two links, they are very helpful.

Installing a trailer hitch / receiver - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

Installing a 7-pin trailer wiring harness - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

I bought the Mopar brand tow hitch at the local dealer for $189.00, $80 for the wiring harness, $16 for the 2" ball, and $24 for the mount. I installed these items myself in about 1 1/2 hours. The parts were a little more expensive than going to the local U-haul dealer to buy them. Then you have to pay for installation. The biggest difference is that the Chrysler hitch is completely invisible unless you lie on your back and look under the vehicle when the ball mount is removed. The U-haul and other brands hang below the bumper cover and are quite visible which detracts from the looks of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
i wouldn't pay more than $300 for a top of the line heavy duty hitch and a 7 pin wireing installed... theirs a local place in villa park here in the suburbs of chicago called advantage trailer and hitch, i've had several cars hitched their... good place :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts