Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to establish a yard stick marker I took the car out for a drive last night to see what kind of mileage returns the car was giving. It was strange to see the miles till empty continuously increase throughout the journey. Never got better than 33.8 even when cruising at 60 on the motorway. Interestingly it never got worse than 32.2 when travelling throgh the city centre.

I know it will improve as the car has only 150 miles on it and it can take several thousand miles for the CRD engine to 'loosen up'

What kind of mileage were you guys getting during the 'running in' period?
What is your best total miles per tank of fuel?
What has been your best on a journey?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Jimbo, loads more here

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/eu...els/53112-strange-but-true.html?highlight=MPG

my own experience, started with new car and have put 1500m on it in 3 weeks, average started out at 30.0 and is now at 32.5 allowing for everything, i.e. cold starts, town and a lot of motorway driving.

so I think it is improving, hoping to make 35 by 10k.

just checking that you do realise that it calculates from the last time you reset it and not each journey, so the longer you go without resetting the more stable the figure.

p.s. the secret menu figure is US Galls, when that is 25.0 the main menu figure will be 30.0

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Mine is at 12,000 miles now and I'm getting around 35 normal, and on a run just under 40.

I reckon on a long run, sensible speed with cruise on most of the time I'd see the plus side of 40 MPG.

My fuel economy has definately increased since adding a tuning box and Millers Sport 4 diesel treatment.

Stef

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
What kind of mileage were you guys getting during the 'running in' period?
What is your best total miles per tank of fuel?
What has been your best on a journey?
While I was running in I got (IIRC) about 32-33 in general motoring, I now grt 35mog in general motoring.
My best mileage on a tank of fuel is over 700 and my best long distance MPG is 42.3 over a 300 mile trip (I di once get 51.3 over a 60 ,mile run, but that doesn't count).

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the last month mine has almost exclusively been driven around Milton Keynes - with he result that I can't get any better than 18-19mpg :pat: In fact in 7 months of ownership I've only bettered 30mpg once, and then only for 20 miles or so......

·
Registered
461 Posts
Milton Keynes is not kind on the 300C fuel economy, especially if you are pottering about on short journey's taking the children to school etc. as I do... therefore 25mpg.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Took a run from Essex to Canterbury - about 80 miles- with cruise set at 65mph. Let the engine warm up and reset the meter Car is 15 months old and now has 8000 miles on the clock. Returned 41.8 mpg.
Did a bit of running around on short journeys and dropped to 33.5 mpg.
By the time I got home average was back to 38.5 mpg. That included the wife driving the home leg!!
Derick
Hope this helps

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
For the last month mine has almost exclusively been driven around Milton Keynes - with he result that I can't get any better than 18-19mpg :pat: In fact in 7 months of ownership I've only bettered 30mpg once, and then only for 20 miles or so......

thats Hemi territory with those mpg's:biggrin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Doing 30 mls round trip to work and back daily mainly on B roads and gettin 32-33 mpg. cant complain .thats with some fun on the way if you know what i mean!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have 17k on my CRD and for a long time used to get around 28mpg. Even been known to get as low as 26mpg on the short run to work (6 miles)

Some others seemed to be getting 30+ so after a litte playing around with the heating/climate i found i could increase this considerably.

I have noticed that by not setting to AUTO and having the fan speed on low (second marker) and either feet/screen or feet/face setting on the RH dial i am now getting mid 30's (checked this morning on way to work and said 34.4mpg) I haven't reset this for a long time either to get a good true reading.

What setting does everybody else use - i wonder climate uses power therefore more mpg? I actually prefer this setting as it seems easier to get the desired temp i require.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Steve,

I always leave mine on auto and set around 21-22c for each side. Never tried it switched off so don't know if it would make any difference on mine.

Stef

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The A/C compressor is effectively extracting power from the engine to heat up the atmosphere, so best not to use if not necessary for comfort. This will also impact on 0-62mph times.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have all my climate controls set to Auto and 18-19 degrees. I get about 33-34mpg on mainly A-Road driving. Have you checked your tyre pressures. Mine are 2.4 when cold. When the car was returned from service last week the dealer had re-set them to 2.2. Not sure why.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have 17k on my CRD and for a long time used to get around 28mpg. Even been known to get as low as 26mpg on the short run to work (6 miles)

Some others seemed to be getting 30+ so after a litte playing around with the heating/climate i found i could increase this considerably.

I have noticed that by not setting to AUTO and having the fan speed on low (second marker) and either feet/screen or feet/face setting on the RH dial i am now getting mid 30's (checked this morning on way to work and said 34.4mpg) I haven't reset this for a long time either to get a good true reading.

What setting does everybody else use - i wonder climate uses power therefore more mpg? I actually prefer this setting as it seems easier to get the desired temp i require.

Steve
AC system is quite high on power usage when it comes to toys in your car so are big amps as you would expect. I never used the AC in my beemer and noticed a huge difference in mpg when it was switched on to ensure it still worked. Also in my 520 I had some ICE fitted which included a big AMP and huge base housing taking up most of the boot (5 series had a big boot!). When that was all turned on and usually up it would reduce my total miles from a tank by about 50 miles!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just done an average of 37.8 mpg on a 226 mile round trip to Milton Keynes. The car has 760 miles on the clock.

Filled car up with 43 miles left indicated on the EVIC and it only took 65 Ltrs!! I thought the tank was 90 Ltrs?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well yesterday I tried a little experiment I traveled from Milton Keynes to Orpington 89 miles each way.

Set off at 09:00 and on the way there I set the cruise control between 60 & 65mph which I maintained except for the 50mph average speed camera limits on the M1 and M25 - very boring but I stuck with it and achieved an average 43.4 mpg (got to 43.9 rolling down the QE2 bridge) Which I thought was great seeing as I get only about 25mpg pottering around MK.

On the way home I set off at 20:30 I set the cruise, where I could, to 80 mph except for the 50mph average speed camera limits on the M1 and M25 and got 42.2 mpg which I found astounding and very pleasing. :fing02:

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Hi BigIan

Impressive figures. I've never managed to do better than 37.5 mpg (using BP Ultimate) in my Touring. What I have noticed, is that high-speed cruising returns the best mpg. I'm convinced the tuning/gearing has been optimised for this mode. BTW, what fuel were you using? I don't use BP Ultimate now, as it was getting quite expensive, but I've sacrificed about 2mpg as a result.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Hi BigIan

Impressive figures. I've never managed to do better than 37.5 mpg (using BP Ultimate) in my Touring. What I have noticed, is that high-speed cruising returns the best mpg. I'm convinced the tuning/gearing has been optimised for this mode. BTW, what fuel were you using? I don't use BP Ultimate now, as it was getting quite expensive, but I've sacrificed about 2mpg as a result.
Just a quick thought. The Touring seems to be a touch thirstier than the Saloon, do you think that its differing aerodynamics, extra weight, or slightly different gear ratios ?

The Chrysler site quotes slightly different top end speeds for the cars.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi Devil
I use ASDA diesel + Millers Sport IV (thanks Stef) + CR2 chip

cheers
Ian

1 - 20 of 67 Posts