Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if i put 275/45/20 on the rear of the car? Or maybe 265/50/20 I have 245/40/20 on the front. I want the look of a biger tire back there but i dont want to mess up the trans on what ever else could get messed up.
So what do you guys think will it mess things up to bad? I choose those to sizes cause there Falkins and that what the fronts are and i dont want to replace all 4 tires if i dont have to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok only if

the aspect ratio (% of thread width that equals the sidewall height- for example 245/40/20- 40 will be the aspect ration) should not be no more than 5 increments from each other. You can run a 40series in the front and 45series in the back or vice-versa, but NEVER 40series and 50series together.
Some car manufacturers even have different wheel sizes, for example 18"s for front, 19"s for back, but when you add the tire sizes together, their overall aspect ratio are similiar.

You can play more with the width sizes, but messing up your aspect ratio will result in poor gas milage, poor handling, and the calibration of your speedometer is off. Everytime you move to a different wheel size(bigger)then the factory recommendation, all of the above goes into effect, but it will become worse if you run different aspect ratio.
Good Luck
scarface

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
scarface said:
the aspect ratio (% of thread width that equals the sidewall height- for example 245/40/20- 40 will be the aspect ration) should not be no more than 5 increments from each other. You can run a 40series in the front and 45series in the back or vice-versa, but NEVER 40series and 50series together.
Some car manufacturers even have different wheel sizes, for example 18"s for front, 19"s for back, but when you add the tire sizes together, their overall aspect ratio are similiar.

You can play more with the width sizes, but messing up your aspect ratio will result in poor gas milage, poor handling, and the calibration of your speedometer is off. Everytime you move to a different wheel size(bigger)then the factory recommendation, all of the above goes into effect, but it will become worse if you run different aspect ratio.
Good Luck scarface
Great job of 'splaining scarface! My Corvette is a good example of a mfr. running different or "mismatched" sizes. I love the look, but haven't checked into the ramifications of doing so on my C. In the streetrod circles we calls 'em Big 'n Littles... this is the way we set up all of our streetrods, and always within the "5 increments", as you put it.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks Scarface.
I was thinking that too. That going 10 over on the aspect would be a bad thing but thats the choses i have and wasnt sure if it was .
Ok so if i put the 275.45.20 on the back what is going to happen?
1. Will it cause the Trans any problems?
2. Will the nose of the car go down any farther. She prety low now..3.
3. How much will it fill in the gap at the back, will there be a noticable difference.

Hemeee
That idea of differnt wheel sizes is good too then i would have to buy 2 wheels and tires.Im tring to be frugle :D ok cheap. I know what your saying with hot rods big and little thats not the drastic look i want thou.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts