Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could check the front of their C for me on the air dam. The top vent on the passenger side front of the car looks like a cover or cap is missing from the top vent air dam. In the middle of the vent I have an open circle about the size of a quarter. I brought the car in for its first oil change earlier this week and while looking at the invoice that was provided it also states that they oiled the chasis on the car. I wonder if this was done via this hole and the cap was not placed back. I'm pretty sure I would've noticed this before as I have washed the car multiple times and have never noticed the hole before. It seems like a coincidence that it is missing right after I brought it in for service. Does anyone know what this hole is for and if it should be covered? What if any damage can be done if its not covered?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had my C less than 100 miles when I also noticed the hole. Read somewhere that it's normal, they all look like that. When I buy my mesh grill I'm also going to see about adding small mesh grills there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe this is the outlet port for the Cold Weather Package. If you dont have the package (plug) you get the hole. Anyone out there with the CWP can you verify???

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So even if you don't have the cold weather package, a cover never existed? I must be going nuts? Can anyone verify for sure? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have the CWP and I do not have a cover. The car never came with one. I don't believe you are missing one.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys! I can't believe I never noticed it til 2000 miles. I must be paranoid about my service department after reading some problems other people have had. Thanks again

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes, I have the CWP and the plug is on the driver side I guess I must have an extension cord handy, so it can reach thru the hole located on the passenger side :mad: when I warm my engine. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
someone please confirm...

i have a C with the Cold Weather Package, And i as well have that Hole being discussed....now, what i would like to know is, what is all this talk about a PLug, and what kind of use would it have? am i not utilizing some tool i paid for?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Midnight Blue C said:
someone please confirm...

i have a C with the Cold Weather Package, And i as well have that Hole being discussed....now, what i would like to know is, what is all this talk about a PLug, and what kind of use would it have? am i not utilizing some tool i paid for?
The CWP is an engine block heater that you plug in to an extension cord unless it will reach the electrical outlet on it's own. Used to warm up your engine block on those below zero days. burrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I doubt this hole is for the CWP especially on the wrong side, what is the point of looping an extension cord through a hole on the opposite side from the plug. On pre production models, both sides were open with brake cooling ducts, if these made production where would the cwp plug then run? I noticed the hole when looking before purchase and gave it no thought, It would be nice I suppose to know what it is for but it is really not all that important.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Then I assume to connect the power cord for the engine heater you just let it hang down to the driveway and crawl under the car with an extension cord? There's gotta be a better way.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey guys the hole is for the towing hook if your car got stuck and if you wanted it towed from the front , in the glove box you can find the tow hook bolt.

I found the tow hook bolt in the trunk where the spare tire is located.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what we can tell, the hole is used for foreign markets for some reason or another. All C's have them. looking around it, there is no obvious answer, maybe for some type of strapping device for the boat ride to Europe, or even a strap down device for the tow truck in Europe. Ever notice all BMW's and Benzs have a knockout for tow hooks on ALL of them

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
If this is a tow down it's pretty poor, the valence will snap with any tension, all those import knockouts are bumper flush, not recessed in a valence. When I looked I could not see any threads to screw a hook into.

·
Registered
704 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
If this is a tow down it's pretty poor, the valence will snap with any tension, all those import knockouts are bumper flush, not recessed in a valence. When I looked I could not see any threads to screw a hook into.
Looks like the N.Amer. cars don't get an attachment point behind the cover. They just cut corners by making the same cover for all the cars.(or someone goofed) :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts