Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any modern dodge chargers that have been imported to Australia. I am just wondering if you would be able to put one on the road over here. I assume you could do a RHD conversion using parts from an Aussie 300C, i.e dash and steering componetry.

It seems that you can pick up 2006 or so SRT8 over there in the mid $20Ks.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Does anyone know of any modern dodge chargers that have been imported to Australia. I am just wondering if you would be able to put one on the road over here. I assume you could do a RHD conversion using parts from an Aussie 300C, i.e dash and steering componetry.

It seems that you can pick up 2006 or so SRT8 over there in the mid $20Ks.

...you probably could as the components are shared. Compliance would be the biggest issue. Im guessiing it would cost the best part of another $20k to complete. For $40k its almost worth considering, providing you have hair that is. :pat:

·
Registered
90 Posts
coming from a mustang background, I can tell you that it is a complete PITA to import and convert cars from US.

the import taxes are unbelievable! and then there is compliancing and converting - the government MAKES you convert a perfectly safe LHD into RHD to protect the local industry.

don't believe me? go to Saleen Australia - Brought to you by Mustang Australia and see how a car that cost $30K US suddenly costs anywhere from $90 - 160K AU.

oh, and there are only so many import licencses approved. There are private import schemes, but they are even more laborious and still very expensive.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, those mustangs are expensive, I reckon we just get ripped off over here. I know there is a lot of expense involved, but it also looks like there is a lot of profit margin in there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm in the States atm.

5.7 300C Hemis otr for US$37k.....

Are we screwed in OZ or what!.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts