Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had another great day at the track. This time, there was a Challenger SRT8 392 there, but other than that, there were no other modern Mopars there. More about the Challenger later. My runs were pretty consistent and although the weather wasn't as cool as I hoped, it was a real nice sunny day. The temperature was about 81 degrees at the track for most of the afternoon. This time, I didn't bother icing my engine down. I was late arriving at the track because of a really bad accident and traffic backup. I didn't get there until after test and tune had already started, so I didn't get to make as many runs as I hoped, but I did get in 5 runs. My runs were very consistent and most of my ETs were just few hundredths of a second apart. Although I didn't get a new personal best ET, I did get a new personal best 60 ft time, and I'm certain that if the air had been just a little bit cooler, I would have beat my old personal best of 12.90 (see the DA corrected numbers for comparison - the DA was 1308). Actually, on 4 out of 5 runs, my 60 ft time was below 2 seconds, and on the one that was over 2 seconds it was 2.007 ;). Pretty close to my others.

The great thing about this time is that I was very consistent. Even my reaction times were consistent this time. Another cool thing is that I was doing better than a brand new Mustang 5.0. Granted, the Mustang 5.0 was bone stock. The fact that every ET I had beat the best pass I saw the Mustang run made me very happy. There was another Mustang 5.0 running 12.5s to 12.6s on slicks. I talked to him and he said his car was stock other than the slicks.

The guy in the Challenger 392 had never been to the track. His car is only one month old and has the 6-speed manual transmission. I got to witness his "virgin" run and it wasn't pretty. He accidentally started out in 2nd gear and stalled it at the starting line. Then he restarted and thought he was finished at the 1/8 mile, so he lifted off the throttle and coasted though the 1/4 mile marker. His first run was a 25 second pass! LOL :) His second run (which I didn't see) was a 13.80. Before I left, I saw him run a 14.0. He just needs lots of practice.

There were three brand new SS Camaros there and two of them had superchargers and drag radials on them. The other was bone stock. One had a Magnuson supercharger, but I'm not sure what kind of supercharger the other one had. I'm not sure how much boost they were running either. One of the SS Camaro owners was rude when I tried to talk to him about his car. They were both running nearly identical ETs in the 11.5 range. The stock SS Camaro could not beat even my worst ET. :) The best I saw it do was 13.25 at 107 mph!

I was very happy with my passes. I won 3 out of the 5 races and the two that I lost were against low 11 second cars that were obviously trailer queens. I beat an old Mustang (I dont't know the year, but I think it was an early 90s model with some mods). I also beat a really slow Acura RSX and an LS2 Camaro. I'm not sure why my 1.94 60 ft time didn't result in a better ET. I may have spun further down the track, but I didn't notice any spinning on any of my passes.

Here are my results (in order of best 1/4 mi ET to worst):

Run #1

60 ft: 1.97
330 ft: 5.52
660 ft: 8.40 @ 85.48
1/4 mi: 12.98 @ 107.65
1/4 mi: 12.79 @ 109.20 mph (DA Corrected)

Run #2

60 ft: 1.96
330 ft: 5.51
660 ft: 8.39 @ 84.87 mph
1/4 mi: 13.00 @ 106.76
1/4 mi: 12.81 @ 108.30 mph (DA Corrected)

Run #3

60 ft: 1.99
330 ft: 5.57
660 ft: 8.42 @ 87.71 mph
1/4 mi: 13.02 @ 107.52
1/4 mi: 12.83 @ 109.07 mph (DA Corrected)

Run #4

60 ft: 2.00
330 ft: 5.59
660 ft: 8.47 @ 85.48 mph
1/4 mi: 13.07 @ 106.98
1/4 mi: 12.88 @ 108.52 mph (DA Corrected)

Run #5

60 ft: 1.94
330 ft: 5.53
660 ft: 8.46 @ 84.63 mph
1/4 mi: 13.09 @ 105.73
1/4 mi: 12.90 @ 107.25 mph (DA Corrected)

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We should try to get a group of forum members from Maryland together to meet for test & tune. The 75-80 Dragway is only open for a few more weeks, but Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD will be open through most of November. Capitol Raceway isn't as well organized as 75-80 Dragway, but it's a faster track when they prep it well. Cecil County Dragway and Maryland International Raceway are great, but they are a long way from where I live.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
excellent runs, Ken. Very consistent.

If you can pull off those sub-2.0 60 foots you can really make a real problem for the competition!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

By the way, those runs were not made in the order I listed them. That order was from best 1/4 mile ET to worst. There really wasn't much difference between my best and worst, but I do think engine temperature may have played a role in some ETs being slightly worse than others. The t-stat and tune help with consistency, and that shows in my numbers.

What's funny is that my big red sedan is fast enough to make the guys in their Mustang 5.0 or Camaro SS nervous! :) I know that sounds crazy, but sometimes cars look better on paper than they are in actuality. I talked to the guy that was running his Mustang 5.0 on slicks and he said he never ran a sub 2 second 60 ft until he put slicks on it. He also told me he never ran a 12 on the stock rubber, but came close a few times (he runs 12.5s or 12.6s on the slicks). He goes to the dragstrip once a month, so he has some experience.

Now I need to be real nice to my wife so I can get some more time to myself and go again before the weather gets too cold and the tracks close. I may go again in November. I really would like to go sometime when the weather is nice and cool (in the 55-60 degree range).

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Capitol Raceway is open in November, and now I'm thinking about going there on one of these days:
  • Sunday November 13, Test & Tune
  • Sunday November 20 Test & Tune Last Day of the 2011 Season
Anyone interested?

·
Registered
229 Posts
i can probably do the 13th! do you know what time it starts at? usually there weekend test and tunes start at 11am.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, I believe the gates open at 11 AM for all Sunday test and tune sessions. I'll call on a Friday night and confirm the time. It would be great to meet another forum member! I met Bob (yamabob) and Marco (prican_2000) the last time I went to Capitol. I don't recall how far Marco travelled, but Bob came all the way from New Jersey. We had a good time despite lots of issues with the track and lousy conditions there (water seeping through some cracks because of heavy rain the previous day). I think Sunday, November 13th will work best for me, but still need to check with my wife to see what she may have planned.

Here's what I just pulled from their website:

We will be having a test and tune and gamblers race from 11 to 4 Jr. are welcome to come gates open at 11AM for everyone.

Friday November 4, Test & Tune
Friday November 11, Test & Tune
Sunday November 13, Test & Tune
Sunday November 20 Test & Tune Last Day of the 2011 Season

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I may once again be able to make it down. As of now I won't be on the road.
Let me know

·
Registered
229 Posts
it would be great to get together with a couple forum members! my factory brembo caliper crapped out today and is leaking fluid everywhere (ruining the clear coat on my brand new wheels in the process) ordered a new one from moparpartz.com should be here next week for install. pian in the @$$!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Just stop the leaking. No need to fix them. Brakes and racing don't mix-they just slow ya down

·
Registered
229 Posts
the caliper is spilt apart at one of the assembly screws! that's where the fluid is leaking out of...any idea what would have caused the caliper to fail like that...i can understand if it was a seal or piston, but the acual caliper housing cracked!

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
That sounds very unusual. No clue here( about anything really)

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be great if we could all meet there! That would be awesome having three 300s all lined up, just like last time. I'll discuss with my wife which date will be best. I think Sunday November 13th will be good.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Would be great to see you again Ken. I had an awesome time (my first in a car). just don't pick on my slow C :). 13th would be best for me as well. Any others????

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love going to the dragstrip. This will be a great opportunity for us because the temperature is virtually guaranteed to be low, but hopefully not too low :) The elevation of Capitol Raceway is 41 feet, so we should run some good ETs if the track isn't too slippery.

·
Registered
229 Posts
capitol 2 weeks ago...temperature was pretty darm good about 65 degrees, however...EVERYONE was slipping at the start line. seemed they didnt treat the track very well that day (a fairly common occurance from what it sounds like) however, even with less than ideal conditions...still more fun than sitting around the house :) hope to see you guys there on the 13th!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sunday, November 13th sounds great! I just checked with my wife, and got the all clear! I'll be there. Let's hope it's not too cold. I'll call on Friday and confirm the hours (I believe gates open at 11:00, and track closes at 4:00).

Capitol Raceway is a pretty good track when they put some effort into prepping it and making it safe. With an elevation of only 41 ft, it's got the potential for some great ETs.

Unfortunately, the last time, there was lots of rain that washed away all the sticky stuff and I don't think they put much new treatment down. (They need to hire better help for the prep work!) I only got to make one 1/4 mile pass, which was a disappointment. It was only open for 1/8 mile early in the day because of water seeping through cracks at the far end of the track. There were also some bad wrecks, including someone in a big sedan (I think it was an Impala) that hit the rail, flipped over, and went off the track. The track was 50/50 hit/miss. I got a couple of decent 60 ft times (low 2.0), but there were a couple of passes where I was spinning).

I'm looking forward to meeting you and hopefully seeing Bob again too. Anyone else interested?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts