Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question to the room, anyone failed an MOT on the above on a 4 year old car? Mine went in yesterday and failed, both track rod ends, both upper arms and n/s/f shock leaking (although I will replace both). Advisory note on n/s/r parking break not going fully on (prev Chrysler garage to be hauled over coals as they said nothing wrong with it 2 months ago after previously fixing it for last year's mot and it failing again). I've just been given a quote by a Chrysler dealer for £1,096 for the above work (not including the parking brake) :lmao: they want £100 ph just for labour.

I'm going to source the parts myself and call in a favour, but can anyone recommend where's the best place to go to source decent Chrysler parts?

This is soooo much fun :swordfigh

·
Registered
496 Posts
Check eBay out, there are a couple of good sellers there.

I've used RockAuto Auto Parts several times and their delivery is quick and reasonable.

Good luck.
Steve

·
Registered
585 Posts
Worrying that major components are [alledgedly] shagged after only 4 years.
When I got rid of my '96 Scorpio 2 years back it still had the original track rod ends and shocks on it.

Worth getting your car re-tested in another MOT Station ?

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
They do wear out front suspension joints prematurely. I have has the track rod end done at 21k, bottom ball joint and tension struts/caster arms at below 30k.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
I had a track rod end done at 25000 under warranty - you can bet that they wouldnt fit a part free if they didnt have to!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
My N/S track rod end needed replacing at 25K miles and 5 yrs - so no warranty. However, that's the only suspension repair I've had, so I think myself lucky considering the atrocious road surfaces and speed cushions in these parts.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
don't forget my TRE and TWO steering racks within 6 weeks of each other..........lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well this thread sure makes me nervous....:yikes: mine is due its 4th year (second MOT) in 10 days time and recently I have noticed that its started to 'bump steer' all over the place on the crappy rutted and potholed things called roads round here....... just done 40k miles in 4yrs so its hardly above normal usage is it.........

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your comments and help, sorry I haven't replied sooner. Got a friend of a friend (RAC Tech) to take it into a diff garage for new MOT........and.......drum roll - only the TRE's needed replacing (in fact the garage didn't know how the Chrysler dealer could have let me leave as they were that bad). No leaks on the shocks and only advisory on the other bits, nothing wrong with the parking brake. So it finally cost me the huge sum of £157. So to the Chrysler garages wanting to rip me off in future :squintfin

All I need now is to find a Company that sells a decent bodykit without having to import from the US and i'll be made up :bling:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Good result well done. Shows you how they rip people off everyday criminal really. Its an unregulated industry. Mate off mine was quoted £497!! by a main dealer the other day for front brakes on a Peugeot 207 "you need new pads and discs sir". I checked it out discs are perfect did the pads £40 all in also changed the pollen filter cost £8 they wanted £49!!

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
:cussing:What really pees me off is that £497 + £49 is the equivalent of virtually two weeks take home wage to him (hard working bloke in a low paid factory job house and kids to run) He'd just paid them £260 for a "service" then they wanted to rip him off for another £546 for "Quote Recommended work"

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. There really ought to be some form of regulation somewhere. I used to work for a Peugot main dealer in Cornwall, I just used to deliver the parts but saw how the service side worked and how they "pushed" for extras to be done. The funniest bit was when I took my Mk2 Capri in to them for its MOT (my first proper car). They failed it on loads of stuff, charged me a fortune to fix it and when the steering still didn't feel right I called out the RAC techs and paid them for an inspection. They'd missed loads of stuff and even cut the steering rack bushes in half to fit them because they couldn't put them on properly...and I worked for them - god knows what they were doing to other cars. I did get them to put it right but I ended up losing my job about a month later!

What annoys me the most is that there still seems to be this great men/women divide in some garages. I can almost see them rubbing their hands together in glee when a woman walks through the door.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I'm servicing and MOT'ing a 300C 3.5 v6 today and as long as it doesn't need extra's (which it shouldn't as we look after it anyway...lol) it's gonna cost him £199 inc but he's not having spark plugs as he hasn't done the mileage,good job really,the retail on 6 plugs for his is £118.80 inc,it's a good job they're bloody long life plugs ay..........lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Had my 4 yr / 40K miles service/MOT yesterday on my facelift 57 plate CRD Lux saloon. Failed on N/S Track Rod End and O/S parking brake. Got an advisory on shocks "misting".

At least it doesn't "clonk" around corners with its new TRE :)!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Yeah,the one I'm doing today needs the n/s TRE too,the rear doughnut is starting to crack around the mounting bolts too(not a fail though)

·
Registered
623 Posts
The suspension on the 300C is carp!

09/07/09 20060 miles Removed and replaced both front tension struts (lower control arms)

28/5/10 26064 miles Removed and replaced o/s/f steering knuckle and both front anti roll bar bushes.

After this I had a TRE replaced at the 4 year MOT in June, and within days of getting it back it's creaking again going round corners.

We only use the 300C for weekends and airport runs, but I'm getting sooooo peed off at this. I have had two Granadas and an Omega estate and none of these cars ever cost me a penny in suspension repairs.

The 300C has done just under 35k so I'm a bit sceptical about their ability to last I'm afraid.

As Ray would say ..... Sh1te LOL

·
Registered
585 Posts
Any MOT testers around ?

How does one test for knackered track rod ends , a tear in the rubber boot is obvious
but how is excess wear or movement detected ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts