Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
dsouth said:
Has anyone else blown a motor?

6.1 liter SRT 8 with 8400 miles
Another member had his motor just quite on him. He will see the post and reply soon, I'm sure. Our motor is doing something strange right now and I am very sure it isn't good(blowing smoke at startup, but only once and a while, not consistent).

Todd

·
Registered
148 Posts
Smoke at startup

The symptom of blowing smoke at startup is typical of faulty valve seals. When you stop the engine the residual oil on the valve steams drains down the steam, past the seals into the cylinder head. This oil burns off immediately at the next engine start. It really doesn’t do any permanent damage except contaminate the plugs over time.

This was / is very common among GMC Safari and Chevy Astro vans with V6 engines.

Could be that simple.

·
Registered
160 Posts
sure seems like the srt8 has alot more problems then the 300c, but then again i have been blessed with a rig that has no problems or issues whatsoever after 5k miles..... knock on wood. i am saying this about the srt8 with no facts in hand, just my general mindset from reading ther many posts in here :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Yes, a member had a connecting rod break a couple of months ago. Try the search, I can't remember who. What caused the failure? This is bothersome, I hope they got this engine sorted out, at least three forum members have had engine failures with the 6.1. I wonder how long these engines will last.

·
Registered
252 Posts
this is why i am waiting till the 2007 or 2008 come out. hopefully they will have all the prblems taken care of by then

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the individual was...

300cul8r...
search for his posts...
they replaced the whole motor...
after he sent an e-mail to Dieter himself...
after that; the Area Service Rep. amazingly got involved...
as the dealer was hemming and hawing...
extraordinary things happen when you go to the top...
customer service, customer service...
hard to do both when the bottom line is measured so hard...
But it is REAL easy when you get the blessing from above... :wink1:

·
Registered
482 Posts
300c Owner said:
The symptom of blowing smoke at startup is typical of faulty valve seals. When you stop the engine the residual oil on the valve steams drains down the steam, past the seals into the cylinder head. This oil burns off immediately at the next engine start. It really doesn’t do any permanent damage except contaminate the plugs over time.
There are a couple of problems with this one. The smoke is not consistent, which leads me to believe there is something else at work(plus, it may be a valve position issue at shut down for a particular cylinder). Sometime it is enough to fill our garage and other times it isn't even noticable.

Oil does a lot of damage over time. It will clog the cats, it will foul the O2s and as it damages the O2s, it can lead to strange fuel table learns(possibly one of the blessings of this old school speed density system versus a mass air flow). Either way, something is going to have to change on ours. It actually fails smog when it blows smoke, so if they don't fix it now, I have the entire emissions warranty period, I believe.....

Todd

·
Registered
482 Posts
FYI, 3 known blown 6.1Ls from this board and one blowing smoke. Considering there are very few of these actually out there and that a very few of those owners are actually members of this board, I think there may be a bigger issue at work in this motor.

Any of you with blown 6.1L notice any smoke blowing at earlier milage?

Todd

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor ran very strong and had no smoke or symtoms until failure. Mileage was 8484 of 90% highway miles. A few freeway on ramps have been the extent of my pleasure. I was on the highway doing 79 mph with the cruise set for about an hour when the motor failed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ouch .. sorry to hear that .... this is kind of worrying me ..... I thought 1 .. not a big deal .. but now a few ??? How many have been produced so far ? 200 for 2005 .... I wonder what we're at for 2006 .....

I guess I'll be sending my oil out for analysis .....

So far, knock on wood, no issues ... 8,400 miles
(properly broken in for 1,000 miles, varying speeds, etc...) (2 oil changes so far)

·
Registered
482 Posts
dsouth said:
Motor ran very strong and had no smoke or symtoms until failure. Mileage was 8484 of 90% highway miles. A few freeway on ramps have been the extent of my pleasure. I was on the highway doing 79 mph with the cruise set for about an hour when the motor failed.
Did you ever notice a loud knocking noise? I have heard a noise I don't like when between to solid walls.

Todd

·
Registered
482 Posts
XCITsNU said:
I've got a tapping (lifter?) noise that was concerning me. Anyone else?
We have a noise, not cold, only once it has been running for a while, that is very audible when parked between solid structures. If you get out of it, it is best heard down low by the driver's door sill or passenger door sill....For some reason, it is not very audible with the hood up and your grill (face, sorry, had too) right in on top of the motor.

Todd

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
That really blows donkeys!!!

I'm very sorry to hear of your motor failure dsouth. I hope the company comes through for you and replaces it ASAP! Please keep us informed of their reaction- like do they blame you? Good luck!!

I’m sorry I must have been sleeping or was on vacation, but I was only aware of one 6.1 actually failing- and that was 300cul8r. Someone please refresh my dimness please.

·
Registered
136 Posts
dsouth said:
Keep us up to date on what they do for you, how long you have to wait for your new motor. Very sorry bout that dude, I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

·
Registered
162 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:
FYI, 3 known blown 6.1Ls from this board and one blowing smoke. Considering there are very few of these actually out there and that a very few of those owners are actually members of this board, I think there may be a bigger issue at work in this motor.

Any of you with blown 6.1L notice any smoke blowing at earlier milage?

Todd
70 people have registered their SRT-8 on this board here.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4518&highlight=registry

I haven't registered and I know many other SRT-8 owners that haven't registered.
So we have 71 SRT-8 known owners here on this forum and probably more like 100-150.
Three high performance motors with problems out of 100-150 is not as bad as 3 out of a few.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts