Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !
I have got a 2005 chrysler 300c 5.7L with 5w20 oil. My car reaches 120 000kms or 74000mi.
But I use 0.4L/1000km (0.42quarts/620miles) , is that much or not ?

Thanks !

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
That seems a bit high. Have you carefully measured the level after an oil change, including the filter?

Check the level right after the oil and filter is change. Drive it a bit (not far, 30 miles or less) and check the level again. Make note of that level.

Now, drive 500 miles and check it again.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I'm at 87k and I'm modded pretty heavy and drive it hard in 90+ deg temps daily... I don't use half a quart in a whole oil change.. I think that it's a little high on usage personally as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, since I bought this car, I always added oil. I bought it when the car had 60000kms (37000mi). My first oil drain was made with 5w40 at 80 000kms (49000 mi=.) by a garage (local dealer). And at the last oil drain at 110000kms (67900mi) the garage puts 5w20.
I only use oil when I drive a long time... When I do a small trip like 50 kms, I don't use oil.

Is it the MDS that can use oil ?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
No, MDS does not contribute to oil consumption.

My point was to understand that when you do a change, and include changing the filter, filling it with the recommended amount of oil, measuring it, then driving away may not account for how much oil goes into the filter. The method I described above allows for that change in level to be accounted for.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That much consumption is a bit high, IMO. Chrysler might say it's within specs. Mine just got back from a ~600 mile trip. Oil level still right at the mark. As for filter capacity, I fill the filter before putting it back on the motor. Also, I've started using a Ford (I think) filter (K&N HP3001). 'Bout 1/2 a quart more capacity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts