Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is a repost. I couldn't find anything at this site regarding a Motortrend test of the Hellcat.

They were unable to reproduce the NHRA certified 11.2 second quarter mile from the previous test reported by Dodge; however, an 11.7 second run is very impressive considering that magazine editors are notoriously bad with cars like this and usually don't get a whole lot of practice. They also were not testing on a VHT-prepped surface, so that also contributed to the difference. I suppose traction is an issue and it probably takes quite a bit of seat time to master a car with that much power. I've also got a feeling the launch control isn't very helpful in getting brag-worthy ETs. The Hellcat really does take things to a whole new level in terms of raw power and torque. I can tell you first hand that managing "only" 662 hp with my Shelby presents a real challenge. Unless I just did a massive burnout and have a good sweltering hot surface to launch on, I short shift out of first gear at around 40 mph and roll quickly into 2nd. It's a strange technique, but I think it's necessary on the street to help manage traction, which is extremely difficult in first gear. It's kind of weird taking my Shelby from 40 mph to over 90 mph before having to change gears. I imagine the Hellcat is similar, especially when equipped with the 6-speed manual (although the test car had the 8-speed auto).

Here are the results:

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
BASE PRICE $60,990
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front-engine, RWD, 5-pass, 2-door coupe
ENGINE 6.2L/707-hp/650-lb-ft supercharged OHV 16-valve V-8
TRANSMISSION 8-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 4449 lb (57/43%)
WHEELBASE 116.2 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 197.5 x 75.7 x 55.7 in
0-60 MPH 3.7 sec
QUARTER MILE 11.7 sec @ 125.4 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 109 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.94 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.7 sec @ 0.85 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 15/25/18 mpg
ENERGY CONS., CITY/HWY 225/135 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS 1.06 lb/mile

The full article source:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1407_2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hellcat_first_test/

I'm interested in what Car And Driver and other magazine testers will be able to squeeze out of the Hellcat. I'm also looking forward to some tests of Hellcats with the 6-speed manual. It's a great time to be alive with cars like the Hellcat available right off the showroom floor at your local Dodge dealer.

EDIT:

I just read that the clowns at motortrend got their best results STARTING IN 2ND GEAR! It's shocking that they were able to achieve that kind of ET with that technique. Short shifting out of first maybe, but completely bypassing first sounds like a really bad idea. It seems like that would really bog it down and result in a terrible launch.

Reactions: Northern Rider

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Hey Ken thanks for the post. She is a brute. The thing about the car is that we all have to agree it has been produced with inadequate rubber, (put a bias ply tire on that beast you own, imagine that?), BUT, thinking back to the grand days of the first muscle car era, everything that had lots of power had inadequate rubber. I am not ashamed to give away my age of approaching 60 next year means that was when I first owned quick cars we all had to figure out how to feather the throttle on the good old rwd cars to accelerate ahead of the competition. That is why yourself, me and others loved our 300c-SRT8's. We had a car with enough torque to light the tires nearly at will. Your car does that. I have been known to take the '06 out on a day with temps below zero with dry roads just so I can practice holding that thing straight with spinning tires and more than 100% of rated HP. I personally think barking a RWD car with spinning tires through the gears is one of the best pleasures of life! Just don't get sideways. I learned the skills/reactions for that before I was 20. What Dodge has done has given us a beauty this time, really, really LOTS of power with a vehicle that is so similar in looks to the original that some novices have a hard time figuring out they are looking at a modern car and not a 1973 model!

So I think I know what I am going to do. Get one, store the stock wheels and tires so when I die my estate can sell the low mileage machine with its showroom slippers in the same condition the cherished car will be in. I can't find the great looking wheels I have seen on every dark blue Challenger promo pix in the ordering specs. Shame on you for that Dodge! Not everyone likes black wheels! My significant other looks at the red Challenger promos with the black wheels and says it looks like an old junker. Simply can't be successful at getting concurrence on the purchase. Show her the blue car with the chrome type wheels and suddenly the reaction turns 180 degrees! Easy deal here and an opportunity to go to Crager and simply get a set of the old style mags with an appropriate width to get a rear set of really sticky tires of the correct height to keep the computers happy. Walla! If I am going to spend $70k I can spend a few more thousand and get the look and performance like I want. And, you know what? It will be great to spark it at 60 mph, leave some smoke for my opponent to view as the peddle is then feathered to gain traction and bark that thing out of sight! Can't wait, but if I need to wait until next summer for exactly the configuration I want without giving up a premium to the dealer I will. The old '06 remains the best car I have owned and seems to have stopped losing value, and could even become more valuable soon as it will be sold to help buy the new unit. Hope us Mopar fans get you back on our team with your next purchase!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree. I think a car like the Challenger Hellcat deserves wider wheels and more aggressive rubber. I know drag radials have their drawbacks, but I go through a set of summer tires every season and switch to winter tires for the colder months (typically October - March). Simply using DRs during the summer would really help with the traction problem, at least in dry weather. Rain presents another problem, but I tend to take it easy on wet roads anyway. I'm sure that even with the factory wheels and DRs, 10 second passes will be a cake walk with the Hellcat once you get the launch dialed in.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
^ they really are wondering how to position themselves now! Because with the stock shoes she looks pretty good on paper. Can't wait until Motortrend takes it to the track against a bunch of $70-100K+ imports. It will be pretty tough to hide behind what I think will be some impressive results. That thing should scream out of the corners and according to one account I have read recently the brakes produce monster results.

Patrick you going to take yours and do some laps?

David

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Yes, indeed I do! Our road course is one place where I can really open up the Hellcat. From all I've heard so far the brakes are awesome and the handling is decent. It appears that SRT have made a serious effort on cooling, as well.

Probably gonna have to wait 'til the spring to run it locally.

. . . unless I do a road trip to the southern USA! :cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Patrick been a while since visiting this forum, good to see you back. Does this mean BBII will be replaced with a hellcat ??

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder how the car will hook on a Toyo R888 or Nitto NT01/ NT05R combo?
Interesting question. Dodge testers ran a 10.8 second pass on drag radials, but they didn't say what kind of DRs. Based on the wording, it was simply a tire swap on the stock 9.5" rims. Does anyone know what kind of DRs they used on that 10.8 second pass? I also wonder how generous they were with applying the sticky stuff to the track. That can make a big difference. The Hellcat is going to be extremely traction limited on those wheels, even with DRs.

By the way, for comparison, the best ET I know of by a private owner of a '13 Shelby GT500 (NJTony over on svtperformance) is an 11.2 @ 127 mph, and this was at Atco, which is a very good track with outstanding prep work.

Let's hope the aftermarket is kind to the Hellcat. It's great right from the factory, but you can bet the tuners will be making it even more beastly :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts