Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Motorweek

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ahemi2 
#1 · (Edited)
Did anyone catch Goss's garage this week? He stated when changing spark plugs you should
loosen each one 1/8 th turn, then start the car and rev it once. This is to break any carbon build up off of the plugs. He then said shut it off and then remove the plugs. Has anyone heard of this procedure? Seems like a lot of work to me. I could just go for a little jaunt
and blow the carbon out.

#2 ·
Seemed weird to me as well. Sometimes Pat is just a bit too "anal-ytical" for me.

If you are concerned about carbon on the plugs, change them. If you are concerned about carbon on new plugs, there really isn't anything to be concerned about.

He may be suggesting it so that the carbon buildup gets blown out of the engine and not stuck in the threads. If you use anti-seize on the plugs when you install them, this won't be a problem and neither will getting them out, especially useful if you have aluminum heads. You can strip the threads in those pretty easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.