Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the carconnection.com:

"Ford responding to HEMI

Dodge is having spectacular success marketing the HEMI engine in a variety of models - and the success hasn't gone unnoticed at the competition. Ford, for one, is said to be developing a big new V-8 engine to outpower the HEMI, according to a report in the Detroit News. The News says that the engine will be based around a core version displacing 6.2 liters, larger than the competition from Dodge as well as Chevrolet and Nissan. Suppliers have begun to bid on work for the new engine, which according to the paper is known internally as the Hurricane. Ford says it's rolling out 11 new powertrains in the next few years as its financial turnaround gains steam."

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just the thing to save Lincoln.
Already FoMoCo has acknowledged the superior drivetrain of the Escalade by creating a Navigator "K" version (supercharged) - but that wont do. A Hurricane-powered SUV or Panther (Town Car) platform, now that would be something special. Given the Lincoln SUVs superior suspension (independent all around) and sumptuous interior, that oughta make them "King of the Hill" again.
We'll see, until then Chrysler has the best sedan. Hopefully, a new Imperial is next.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I dont care what kind of engine they put in it......its still a FORD. (Found on road dead,fix or repair daily)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Redman said:
Just the thing to save LIncoln.
Already FoMoCo has acknowledged the superior drivetrain of the Escalade by creating a Navigator "K" version (supercharged) - but that wont do. A Hurricane-powered SUV or Panther (Town Car) platform, now that would be something special. Given the Lincoln SUVs superior suspension (independent all around) and sumptuous interior, that oughta make them "King of the Hill" again.
We'll see, until then Chrysler has the best sedan. Hopefully, a new Imperial is next.

Redman,

You sound as if you must be about my age (61) because not to many people remember the Chrysler Imperial since its glory years were about 40+ years ago. And yes I too hope that the Imperial will come back. I can see the Taillights sitting on top of the rear fenders now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
mspeasl said:
And yes I too hope that the Imperial will come back. I can see the Taillights sitting on top of the rear fenders now.
The point about reviving the Imperial nameplate is really that the success of the 300 should allow Chrysler to "look up" again.
Whereas before, as purveyors of minivans and Neons, it would have been ridiculous for them to contemplate an up-scale luxury car (did you ever see the Imperial K-Car? sheesh!), NOW itz the logical next step. The 300C already has GM wondering what to do; can you imagine what a decent $45K priced Chronos/Imperial would do?
Car buyer: Yes, I'll take one in silver, only I want the V-10 option too.
Car salesman: That'll be $5K extra sir.
Car buyer: Fine, and add a sunroof for another $1K - here's my check.
GM Management: Boo-hoo hoo.
Ford Management: Where's all the Lincoln customers?

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Being such a Ford fan for so long, and owning Lincolns and Mercurys as well, I feel a loyalty. But, you're right, Redman...They can't hold a candle on product and DC better kick 'em while they're down to keep this long term momentum. And the Ford boys have to be loading their drawers because they just spent so much money developing these new economical V6 european (Audi) looking sedans, and Chrysler can't make enough rear drive behemoth's that suck gas and do burn outs on request. Oh, the marketing guru who took the company that way will be out of a job, but soon!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My beef with Ford is that they always cheap out on something. Take, for example, the Mustang Mach 1: It has the 4-cam engine, but only a nodular iron crankshaft, so it can only wind up to 5,850 rpm. Stupid.

Meanwhile, I sleep comfortably, knowing that my Hemi was designed for truck duty, with beefy parts and superior design.

I wish Ford would get it right and design something that will draw people away from the imports (especially the Japanese), but they always try to take shortcuts! A 3.0 liter engine is simply too small for a car the size of the 500, and it's the only choice. GM has proven that if you take a larger engine and gear it a bit taller, you can get excellent fuel economy AND respectable performance.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
rogue said:
Btw If this car ever goes into production:

There will be a nice Hemi C for sale in my driveway. :)
Ya got that right!
In fact, I'm starting a thread, "Did Chrysler Steal Lincoln's Design?" using just that photo.
The silhouette of both the 300C and the "new" Town Car are practically the same.
Think Chrysler nailed the front end better, but man what an elegant and upscale interior the Lincoln show car had.
That and a Hurricane under the hood - watch out. 1961 all over again.
Stay tuned!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey I've at least 50 Ford products in the last 20 years. I can say Fords, Lincolns right now are boring. Even the 500 looks like a taurus next design. The 05 Mustang is the most excitement they've had since the 02 Tbird, and that had its marketing stop once the cars hit the showrooms. I've owned 3 Explorers since 96 and they all looked alike. Many Towncars , but come on they can't keep up to a Deville in styling. Fords are dated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Heavy Weather Ahead

Here's the latest skinny on Ford's new Hurricane V8 - looks like a definite competitor to the HEMI 6.1L - now all FoMoCo needs to do is design a decent platform for it. Does not seem as if it will fit into that "new king of the rental car fleets" - the Ford 500. :rolleyes:
http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=10816

·
Registered
218 Posts
when i was 16 i drove a town car for about 2 weeks and loved it, i would love to get a new one if it looks like that. but i've had 2 fords (both expe's) and not really liked em. very sub-par leather and accesories. like what that one guy said they were oth the same and the one was a new bodystyle so ya know. now i hate suv's i've practically had one since i was 16 till i got the c. i think alot of ppl are getting over them (like me) and are ready for speed. i hope they (ford) come back up but by the time they do, ill be outa college and i hope i wont be driving anything made my ford.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Huh?

Squeaks? rattles? Turn up the radio?

Sounds just like my 300C. My sunroof, dash, and passenger door sound like they are full of marbles.

Recalls on fords?

Last time I counted, my 300C has been in the shop for recalls 4 TIMES in less than one year.

Before you bash ford too much remember Chrysler's rep for quality and service. I know they are trying to turn it around and I love my 300C, but it was still a gamble considering their rep. It should be interesting to see how they hold up long term. Quite frankly, the new threads about the wheel pitting (already) have got me a little spooked. I keep having visions of a 300C version of those early neons and breezes with the paint peeling off the hood and roof.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just curious Josh, when was your car manufactured? I don't have any issues as of yet and am wondering if the later build date helps at all with that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
build date.

March 27, 2004

·
Registered
629 Posts
My April 20, 2004 build date car is developing some annoying rattles in the interior. I don't have a moonroof, but my driver's seat is sqeaking, I have a couple trim pieces that buzz, and that damn intermittent dash crackle we've talked about. Now my passender side rear window will not operate and I have had three recalls in a year. I love my car. I will baby it as long as I have it. But, Chrysler is not wowing me with assembly quality.
P.S. I was a loyal Ford owner before this car. As far as overall impressions, they are on an even par, initially. We'll see what time brings.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The new mustang isn't saying much! Front is a nice blast from the past but the back isn't saying much. I had the liberty of getting in the new GT, and its got nice push you in the back of you seat power but its too retro for me.

Can't wait for the SVT, but its still just nice and fast and I would never buy one for me. I'd like to see a friend in it.

The 500 and the mustang and the thunderbird were all cars that were supposed to make as big if not a bigger splash then the 300C and they just didn't. People still can't get 300C's, all the Chrysler dealerships have 300's and 300T's dressed up with rims and crap like that and it ain't helpin'. People want the C. That's at least the story in L.A.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts