Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been burning a few MP3 disks, but on some that have all the songs in folders I noticed that the system would not show the song names after a certain number. For sure the first 99 songs had names, after that it was just blank. I could see the folder names etc... So I suspect there is a limited buffer that holds the file names. Anybody some more info on that?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Very timely, I use music match to creat my MP3s, anyone know how to create "folders" so I can better scroll without having to look at every song. for example, i could put female country singers in one folder and R&B tunes in another folder.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mathijskok said:
I have been burning a few MP3 disks, but on some that have all the songs in folders I noticed that the system would not show the song names after a certain number. For sure the first 99 songs had names, after that it was just blank. I could see the folder names etc... So I suspect there is a limited buffer that holds the file names. Anybody some more info on that?

I use either WinDAC or Music Match to burn my mp3's and have trouble showing song info on the screen.

However I've never seen a way to burn into folders - it's not an option. They just burn the songs like a commercial CD would have them. How do you burn into folders?

·
Registered
94 Posts
zenhog said:
I use either WinDAC or Music Match to burn my mp3's and have trouble showing song info on the screen.

However I've never seen a way to burn into folders - it's not an option. They just burn the songs like a commercial CD would have them. How do you burn into folders?
Depending on the software you are using there may be an option - do not use the burn a "music disc" you want to burn a "data disc" this will allow the use of folders.

In fact you can just use the basic windows "open a disc" and drag and drop your pre-created folders and burn the disc.

:wave:

·
Registered
94 Posts
RobAGD said:
Data disks, not CD Audio. With MP3's you HAVE to have the ID3 tags set before burning to get the info on the screen.

Thats all

You can use Windows XP to drag and drop if you have to, or use some free cd burner software.

-Robert
What can I say.....great minds.... :wink1:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've recently ripped over 350 cd's of mine to MP3's for my magnum.

Here's my advice.

Believe it or not, use Windows Media Player, set all the preferences to rip to mp3s at the quality you prefer, to the directory that you prefer. There is a button called "find album information", it goes out on the internet, grabs the name of the album, the year, the name of all the songs, the record company and a screenshot of the album cover. All free! Windows media player does a great job of storing the albums in their own directory, under a directory name of the artist.

So now I have CD's with like 6-8 albums on each CD. I pop one into the MP3 CD changer in the magnum, stock BA system, and hit the "DIR" button. I can quickly scroll thru (with the right knob) and choose whichever artist or which specific album (or directory) that I'd like to listen to. The sytem will play alphabetically inside that directory, then move to the next directory, also alphabetically.

Also, if you stick the CD in your computer, you see all the directories with the screenshot of each album. Must also show up on an IPOD screen too. The Windows Media software will fill out all the 'tags' attached to the song.

Helpful?? I hope so! Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Todd RT said:
I've recently ripped over 350 cd's of mine to MP3's for my magnum.

Here's my advice.

Believe it or not, use Windows Media Player, set all the preferences to rip to mp3s at the quality you prefer, to the directory that you prefer. There is a button called "find album information", it goes out on the internet, grabs the name of the album, the year, the name of all the songs, the record company and a screenshot of the album cover. All free! Windows media player does a great job of storing the albums in their own directory, under a directory name of the artist.

So now I have CD's with like 6-8 albums on each CD. I pop one into the MP3 CD changer in the magnum, stock BA system, and hit the "DIR" button. I can quickly scroll thru (with the right knob) and choose whichever artist or which specific album (or directory) that I'd like to listen to. The sytem will play alphabetically inside that directory, then move to the next directory, also alphabetically.

Also, if you stick the CD in your computer, you see all the directories with the screenshot of each album. Must also show up on an IPOD screen too. The Windows Media software will fill out all the 'tags' attached to the song.

Helpful?? I hope so! Good luck.
Well, I have a complication. First off I don't have a "DIR" button. I have the Level II sound package head unit with Nav.

Would another button on that unit be functioning as the "DIR" button on your unit?

Would the Sound Group II unit possibly have less functionality?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ive been waiting for someone to address the topic of burning mp3s in depth and all of your guys info is more than helpful...
My problem is I use Limewire to burn all my mp3s, my collection isnt organized that well and many of the songs titles and artists need renaming.
~Can someone please tell me how I can rename track info and organize them into folders, preferbally using Windows Media Player?!?

Once I can rename and organize them hopefully I can burn my collection into mp3 format with the help of your guys info! With that done I dont really see a need for an iPod interface :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I hope to have an answer today lex, I am re doing all my mp3s because I cant find anything, 200 songs to scroll through is ridiculous. I plan to use windows media player, I'll post results. I have the same problem with some titles. I have several burned CDs that I have to type in the title and they still don't display. I also have the same problem with some of my downloaded music.

I will be glad when the day comes there will not be the need for Mp3 or I Pods in the car. Why not a built in hard drive that can hold 5-10K songs or more if you want. A simple plug to download from a portable device and you are set. Who will be first to bring this rather old technology to the car. I posed a similar question to Microsoft, Sony, and JVC 2 years ago re: camcorders. Why fool around with DV tapes, Hi 8, Mini DVD etc. Why not have a camera with a hard drive. Within the last 2-3 months JVC introduced a camera with a HD, 10.5 hours of recording with no media to buy for the camera. You can burn video to a full size DVD, erase the HD and go back to recording. This is not new technology. I wonder why thing take so long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
I hope to have an answer today lex, I am re doing all my mp3s because I cant find anything, 200 songs to scroll through is ridiculous. I plan to use windows media player, I'll post results. I have the same problem with some titles. I have several burned CDs that I have to type in the title and they still don't display. I also have the same problem with some of my downloaded music.

I will be glad when the day comes there will not be the need for Mp3 or I Pods in the car. Why not a built in hard drive that can hold 5-10K songs or more if you want. A simple plug to download from a portable device and you are set. Who will be first to bring this rather old technology to the car. I posed a similar question to Microsoft, Sony, and JVC 2 years ago re: camcorders. Why fool around with DV tapes, Hi 8, Mini DVD etc. Why not have a camera with a hard drive. Within the last 2-3 months JVC introduced a camera with a HD, 10.5 hours of recording with no media to buy for the camera. You can burn video to a full size DVD, erase the HD and go back to recording. This is not new technology. I wonder why thing take so long.
Sony has had a head unit with a built in hard drive for a while now (since 2003 I believe), and other after market makers have them also.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lex - a few things. Well you need to see how the stuff is stored. As I dont use Limeware or what ever for my MP3's you will have to maybe look at the file properties and see where its storing them.

Then you need a MP3 tag editor or maybe do it within the various programs to see whats avaiable.

you have some work ahead of you, I have something like 15gb of songs ( I own them, I have 2 256 disk cd cases ) and its all done as follows

Artist - Album - Track# - Song Title

Lots of long file names but thats also directory structure

MP3s\128\artist\album\songs
MP3s\196\artist\album\songs

etc

-Robert

·
Registered
362 Posts
hey rob thanks alot for the insight. i know i have alot of work ahead of me, but i got alot of time off within the next month so i shouldnt have a problem.
i have no idea where they are "stored", but many of them are in the Limewire program (similar to napster i guess), and some are in the windows media player library.

i dont know much about mp3 tag editing, but i dont think it would be that hard, once i figure out where i can rename all the tracks.
~can anyone recommend a good and easy to use tag editor program where i can import my entire mp3 library (roughly 1600 songs) and change the title and artist info?

~can you also elaborate more on how they are "stored" or where i might find them stored?

thanks alot everyone! lets try and not let this thread die! maybe Linda can make it a stick as i feel alot of useful tech info will come outta it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have everything set to burn, updated Media Player 10, etc. I still can't create a folder for burning. Maybe I don't understand this folder thing. What I want to do is have each artist in their own folder so I don't have to scroll through 147 songs to find a particular tune. For one hit wonders I might put them a folder together. Is what I want to do possible? If so how do you scroll through the folder in the car to find a song?

·
Registered
339 Posts
OK Ill see what I can do and show youa step by step deal.

If limeware is like napster you dont really OWN the song you rent it as long as you have an active account ( as near as i can tell )

First all you HAVE to find all your MP3's :)

I suggest that you maybe use Google Desktop search. Have it index you machine then you can search and find all your MP3's and have an idea where they are stuffed.

I would put them all into ONE main directory and make sure any new ones are save to that location as well.

As to burning with folders.

Ill walk this using windows XP with NO burn software other than the os.

put blank disk in your cdr drive ( only use CD's no dvd's )
Now open that disk with windows ( My Computer > CD Drive )
Right click > New > Folder Name the folder No Spaces used _ if you want
Now drag and drop your songs for the folder in

Repete until its full then burn the disk. It will prompt for some info but that should be rather simple.

Hope this helps, if you cant get it to work drop me a pm and Ill see what I can work out for you.

-Robert

1 - 20 of 55 Posts