Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car, and by accident, I used 87 octane instead of premium. Anyway, the car now dies by itself randomly. It happened twice today, once on the highway, and once in a parking lot. On the highway, I was doing 140KM/H and accelerating to overtake, and it seemed that the car shut off the gas being combusted, and when I stepped on the gas, nothing happened. I took the car to the side of the highway, turned it on and off and it was fine. In the parking lot, I started the car and then left, as I was leaving the parking lot, the engine turns off by itself and the 'engine oil' light pops on for a second. I check the engine oil, the oil is fine.

I recently put 87 octane the last two times in the car, and the car's engine seemed to sputter the second after I put the gas and drove off. I obviously have to put 91 octane next time, but could/is this the reason for my problems or is it something else?

·
Registered
465 Posts
i have used 87 quite a few times in my 300c. i never had a problem ever with it. you might want to take it in to the dealer and find out whats up. dont tell them the grade of gas you used. just tell them what happens

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Just got the car, and by accident, I used 87 octane instead of premium. Anyway, the car now dies by itself randomly. It happened twice today, once on the highway, and once in a parking lot. On the highway, I was doing 140KM/H and accelerating to overtake, and it seemed that the car shut off the gas being combusted, and when I stepped on the gas, nothing happened. I took the car to the side of the highway, turned it on and off and it was fine. In the parking lot, I started the car and then left, as I was leaving the parking lot, the engine turns off by itself and the 'engine oil' light pops on for a second. I check the engine oil, the oil is fine.

I recently put 87 octane the last two times in the car, and the car's engine seemed to sputter the second after I put the gas and drove off. I obviously have to put 91 octane next time, but could/is this the reason for my problems or is it something else?
The 87 octane won't hurt your car because of the knock sensors, but you're car requires 89. The worst that should happen is a loss of performance. Using 91 is nothing more than throwing your money away. It's not any better quality or cleaner, simply a higher octane for those cars that require it. You may in fact be damaging your cats using it as raw gas is being dumped into your cats where it gets burned up. This can cause premature failure of the cats buy causing a core melt down.

You don't give too much information about the mileage of your car, but seeing as it's a 2005 I'm guessing it may be in need of new plugs, which for the 5.7 need to be replaced at 30,000 miles (~50,000 kms) along with the other scheduled maintenance.

Bernie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue that i'm relating the problem to is not the use of 87 octane itself, but the switch from premium fuel to 87 octane. The only thing leading me to this assumption is that (sometimes) the sudden change in the type of fuel causes a feel of engine jump and stutter after fill up, and this problem happen(ed) after I filled up 87 octane. Yet, I've never seen it this extreme where the engine shuts off. So I was just wondering if my assumption may have been correct if anyone has had any experience with this before.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i've only ever used 87 in mine and never had a problem..hope you get it figured out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts