Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was reversing my car in my garage last night and half way into my garage I hear a noise like I ran over something or I reversed into something. So I get out and check to see if I hit or ran over something and I couldn't see anything. I went back into my car and put the car in drive and another noise this time sounding like it was scrapping something. So I slowy pull foward and reverse back in and again check the bottom of the car and I don't see anything. At first I thought it might have been the transmission but with only 500 miles that couldn't be possible. Now today while cleaning my car I put my fingers under the bottom trim just below the passenger door and to my surprise I feel that the bottom part of the trim has been scruffed up! What I don't get is my garage has a minor incline going up into my garage from my alley so I don't know why my 300C would bottom out. Im not too concerned cause the damage is very very minor but its still odd that the stock suspension would bottom out. Has this happean to anyone else?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im with you on this. My car did the same thing but the trim panel that runs the length of the car below the doors fell off and I drove over it. Its going in tomorrow for the new trim to be put on. I didnt even notice that it came off. If it wasnt for a neighbor watching, I would have driven away missing a crucial piece of my car!
A little embarrassing considering these cars attract so much attention.
There is only about 6 plastic clips that hold it on and all but one broke.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Just think of what would happen if you had the lowering springs. The car is low to the ground - only 5.6" of ground clearance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
it just doesnt seem like it by looking at the car but without lowering it and bottoming out at stock height, I will not be lowering the car. I have a GTP which I have lowered and my stock 300 height has the problems my GTP has when it comes to clearance

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more thing, everytime I see a 300 on the road, I think, man thats a nice car and then realize I am driving one! I guess riding one day to day you sometimes forget how good they look on the road!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are hearing loud bangs when hitting, I would check that bottom molding piece to make sure its not coming loose. That whole piece runs from wheel to wheel. One the car it looks a few pieces but its one big chunk of plastic. It was my first time and it wasnt even that. I have never done it before. Like I said before, the clips are plastic and molded into the piece, so once they break, it has to be a new molding. There is two spots near either end where there is a pop out type plastic screw but for the rest of the clips, there are that back to back L shaped where you squeeze them together to pop them out...kinda like this JL

·
Registered
169 Posts
Guys/Gals,

It's the length of the wheel base that is causing your problem. This car has a longer wheel base than probably anything you have driven in the past and that is why you haven't had this problem before getting into your driveway/garage.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm I guess you could be right but my Mercedes S430 is long and i've never had problems but then again it does have airmatic.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Long wheelbase = fine ride.
But she's aint no Cherokee.
(Pass the air shocks).

·
Registered
268 Posts
yeah i scrape mine all the time.. i was going to lower it until i had it for about a week and realized i would probably rip the whole underside off if I did! I even have to make back seat passengers get out returning to the office garage after lunch.. yet for some reason they always want me to drive ;) A valet ripped out one of the replaceable clips on the under "cover" and i replaced with a little plastic "JL" (see vineuh's post) from home depot and it fit/worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Low to the ground it is even with the excessive wheel well gap. That is the reason the SRT-8 version is only '.50' inches lower.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have lowered mine 2" and I don't have any problems...But I have also had air-bagged trucks before, so I am aware of how close to the ground I am. I just take a 'lil more time with it on speed bumps and driveways!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Will go snap some and post. it'll be a few minutes. I know it is strange, but I have not taken one picture of my c yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Must the pic have a url? faq page is down.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
BBC said:
Must the pic have a url? faq page is down.
This thread explains how to add an attachment, or post a picture from a URL.

http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=890

The easiest is to add an attachment if the file is less than 198kb, or about.

If the file is too large to post as an attachment, you can email me the file(s) and I will modify the pic file size, or hyperlink it from my bangaroo website.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
That height looks perfect. Did you have much saddle-time on the stock springs to get a ride comparison on bumpy/rough roads? Also, are the tail light lenses tinted? If so, where did you have them done and how much?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts