Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wasnt driving it. My mom was driving it, she was pulling out of the parking lot and a lady on her phone bumped her in the back :pat: :pat: :pat:

luckily not too much damage, actually no dents or anything. Just the left size of the rear bumper is scratched up. no damaged or anything else.

how much do you think its gonna cost to fix/paint? she works with my mom so my mom didnt call the police since the lady was crying and didnt want to get a ticket for being on her phone and a lot of witnesses saw as well.

next day she told me my she isnt paying... :unitedsta

so long story short, we gotta pay for it. im not too mad since its not bad. Deductible is high from my insurance, $1k. so either way i dont think this is costing $1k to fix.

any help would be appreciated as well as any shops in SE Michigan/Macomb which you guys recommend for the job

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Get her insurance info and notify them. And get the witnesses names.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got hit STOPPED at a light and the guy behind me "jumped" the light before turning green and hit me. I had to replace the whole bottom bumper sheathing (and painted) and it cost his insurance company about $4,000 !

Nice guys finish last! Don't be stupid or nice; report it! This woman has to take responsibilities for her actions.

1) File a police report NOW (Your mom doesn't have to say the coworker was on the phone...just an unfortunate fender bender from behind)
2) Then file with HER insurance company and don't let them say it's partially your mom's fault because this will reduce your claim. Common trick. Bottom line- rear end accidents are 100% the fault of driver who hit you.

Good luck :)

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
File the report.

If the bumper cover isn't torn or split, paint and labor to refinish will vary between $450 to $600 as long as the rear absorbers aren't damaged.

·
Registered
292 Posts
so long story short, we gotta pay for it. im not too mad since its not bad. Deductible is high from my insurance, $1k. so either way i dont think this is costing $1k to fix.
It cost me ~ $900 to have the scratched rear fascia painted and mud flaps painted and installed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mom ended up calling the police the next day when the lady said she wasnt gonna pay. The cop came and told them since the lady changed her story and denied the whole thing. the cop wouldnt talk to any witnesses or anything and he said it was both my mom and the other ladies fault..

so no idea how i would go at her insurance. my mom has all her info, a copy of her license and insurance.

we are pretty much clueless at this since me, her, my brother, and my father have never had an accident or any issue.

My mom wanted to call the cops but she foolishly gave the lady the benefit of the doubt since she seemed sinceire snd she was crying that she didnt want a ticket. Her first clue should have been that the lady was driving an old busted up, half rusted van from what my mother told me.

You live and learn, dont trust people no matter who they are or what they say sadly.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My mom ended up calling the police the next day when the lady said she wasnt gonna pay. The cop came and told them since the lady changed her story and denied the whole thing. the cop wouldnt talk to any witnesses or anything and he said it was both my mom and the other ladies fault..

so no idea how i would go at her insurance. my mom has all her info, a copy of her license and insurance.

we are pretty much clueless at this since me, her, my brother, and my father have never had an accident or any issue.

My mom wanted to call the cops but she foolishly gave the lady the benefit of the doubt since she seemed sinceire snd she was crying that she didnt want a ticket. Her first clue should have been that the lady was driving an old busted up, half rusted van from what my mother told me.

You live and learn, dont trust people no matter who they are or what they say sadly.
Ummm..... EFF THAT.

YOU (or whoever the policy holder is) call the cops AGAIN. A different cop will come, try to repeat the process. THEN call YOUR insurance company. Were any photos taken? Is there ANY signs of damage to her car? Like a paint rub? ANYTHING!!! Pardon me but eff that lady. I'd turn the shit into an all out war if I had to.

And if the shit doesn't pan out, personally, I'd find other means of vindication, I know that much...

And who had a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR deductible? Christ that's high. Mine is $250 and I'm looking to lower it down to $100 next renewal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummm..... EFF THAT.

YOU (or whoever the policy holder is) call the cops AGAIN. A different cop will come, try to repeat the process. THEN call YOUR insurance company. Were any photos taken? Is there ANY signs of damage to her car? Like a paint rub? ANYTHING!!! Pardon me but eff that lady. I'd turn the shit into an all out war if I had to.

And if the shit doesn't pan out, personally, I'd find other means of vindication, I know that much...

And who had a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR deductible? Christ that's high. Mine is $250 and I'm looking to lower it down to $100 next renewal.
Really the issue is that it happened at my moms work. She randomly took my car that day and honestly from the damage that happened i dont care. Glad it wasnt anything major.

Her and the women work together even tho the lady is new. She already went and told the managers to move her away from my mom LOLOL my mother has been there 13 years and knows everyone at the building and has never caused an issue and is VERY well liked so no harm there.

she gave her the benefit of the doubt since she was crying, begging, and that they worked together so she gave her a break. I want her to call the cops again but i dont want this issue to get bigger with the women wanting to get my mother in trouble or cause some kind of problems for her. Its not a big deal IMO i just wanted to know if there was somewhere i could take it to get it done right. Since a lot of SE michigan people on here maybe they know of a trusted shop. Like i said, we never had car issues nor accident issues before.

the insurance is high because my mother has bad credit and a ticket so the lower the deductible/coverage the higher than payments would be and im already paying a lot lol

pretty much made this thread for you guys (which i assume most if not all) already know that not to trust a random person no matter what they say. Im a nice guy, really nice and i know now to NEVER EVER let someone fool me especially when its potentially thousands of dollars and my car on the line

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
This is what you do. Since you have her insurance company's name you file a claim with them. They will send you paperwork where in you describe the accident. All you need is for a witness who is willing to make a statement. I was a witness to an accident once and I made my statement over the phone. If the insurance company denies the claim then you sue in small claims court. As long as you have a witness who is willing to make a statement and/or testify you will prevail in the end.

2012 300S 5.7 V8

·
Registered
539 Posts
How much do you think its gonna cost to fix/paint?

Any help would be appreciated as well as any shops in SE Michigan/Macomb which you guys recommend for the job
Well, since you're really only asking the above question and for our thoughts about fixing your car (and seem more or less ambivalent about the other person's liability), I'll chime in with my 2-cent opinion. I'm just a lay person but from the minor damage you speak of I'm thinking it wouldn't cost you more than $300 to fix.

As for place, besides the usual asking of recommendations of family and friends, here in the SF Bay Area we have a consumers' magazine (which comes out thrice annually) called the Bay Area Consumers' Checkbook which rates services the way Consumer Reports rates products, e.g., dentists, maid services, auto body shops, gardeners, veterinarians, electricians, etc. etc. Extremely detailed and helpful reviews. Perhaps you have some regional rating source that can be of help to you, if not published in hard copy, then perhaps some internet-based local rating websites (we also have some fairly extensively-used "Berkeley Parents Network" that surprisingly rates many things at a grass-roots level. Also, you could just go to Google and type in "Yelp auto body shops [my city or county]." Otherwise, maybe call any car dealer's service department and ask where they might farm out body/repair work, or even your insurance company could give you good leads on shops that score high marks for getting the job done correctly the first time and for a reasonable fee.

Alternatively, maybe just spend around $100 on Amazon and pick up a Porter-Cable 7424XP Polisher/Buffer, really the de facto standard in many repair shops for touch up/polishing jobs (I bought one just to wax my car, really) [you'd also need to buy a pad or two] and do the fix yourself. You'd pay less money than if you had it professionally job and you'd similarly get professional results -- and then you'd also have the polisher/buffer for really good routine maintenance/upkeep and beautification for your car. WIN-WIN BONUS!

I hope some of this information is of help to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats a shit awful situation for you mate. Lend your car to your old lady, next time you see it the cars rear end is scratched up. You are told that everything should be sweet since your mum knows the lady and then the rude bitch backs out of paying for the damage despite it being her fault.

If be all for getting a witness and calling the police on her. What that other woman did was a dog act by putting the tears on and assuring your mum that she would pay, only to screw you over further. If your mum really has worked at the building for such a long time and this other tart is new then you really have all the leverage.

Get the police and both insurance parties involved and make that stupid work colleague of your mums pay for everything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does insurance work? like i said a cop came out and put the blame on both drivers.

we havent filed anything with insurance since i would assume we wouldnt have to? since we arent doing it through them and would pay the damage ourselves.

but today we got a call from her insurance company, im hoping that doesnt mean we have to pay her anything because if so im gonna go over to my moms work and punch the lady in the face. NO JOKE

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Yeah, go punch her out and see how that works out for ya. ;) (don't bang your head on the roof of the police car when you're getting in the back seat handcuffed. I always wondered why cops made sure they got in without doing that, I mean who cares if they clobber their heads right?)

Other than that you might want to remember.... her insurance company only knows what she tells them, at this point. We only know what you tell us so anyone here 'on your side' is only being polite. People will be people I'm afraid and most will lie when it suits them and is in their interest.

I'd say now is a good time to speak to your insurance company and be guided by what they say. My experience with car accidents (and I think I can safely assume it's more than yours) is that there are never any winners and you won't come out ahead. Just cut your losses and remember it's only a minor incident (from the sound of what you say). Don't expect anyone to tell the truth, if you get someone who does you are lucky, you sound a little naive in this regard so you need to step back a little and not get so emotional about it. There's nothing you can do about someone else giving a different version of the collision, just giving your version calmly and not 'punching anyone out' is the best you can do.

Get it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, go punch her out and see how that works out for ya. ;) (don't bang your head on the roof of the police car when you're getting in the back seat handcuffed. I always wondered why cops made sure they got in without doing that, I mean who cares if they clobber their heads right?)

Other than that you might want to remember.... her insurance company only knows what she tells them, at this point. We only know what you tell us so anyone here 'on your side' is only being polite. People will be people I'm afraid and most will lie when it suits them and is in their interest.

I'd say now is a good time to speak to your insurance company and be guided by what they say. My experience with car accidents (and I think I can safely assume it's more than yours) is that there are never any winners and you won't come out ahead. Just cut your losses and remember it's only a minor incident (from the sound of what you say). Don't expect anyone to tell the truth, if you get someone who does you are lucky, you sound a little naive in this regard so you need to step back a little and not get so emotional about it. There's nothing you can do about someone else giving a different version of the collision, just giving your version calmly and not 'punching anyone out' is the best you can do.

Get it?

Well for one, i have already forgotten about the whole thing. it was in the past. i was just gonna pay out of pocket and not have my mom say a single word to the women about it every again because i dont want my mom to get in trouble or something.

Its not anything major just some paint so honestly i dont care.

im only mad that her insurance called us, since im new to this im not sure if they want us to pay or something because no way in hell i am paying her a cent for anything on her car when we caused no damage and her car is a rust bucket.

i already saw the police report and have it in hand, the officer put the blame 50/50 and its each of the drivers fault so how does that work for insurance? no one pays anything but goes through their own?

thats all im asking since i want to be done with this subject. i am paying for my car out of pocket but if i have to pay a cent for the women, then all hell is gonna break loose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts