Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My gf usually drops me off at work and takes the car and Ive been noticing that my gas is unusually low when I get the car back from her even though she works about 10 mins from me.

I taught her how to use that meter thing and I jumped in the car and she said "theres something wrong with your car, I tried to reset that average thing you showed me and it and it kept going up"

So I check it and its at like 30 a number I have never ever seen in my life since I picked the car up from the dealer and sure enough as soon as we stop at the lights it starts going up to 40 so I rev it and it goes up to 50 per 100kms.

Then as I keep driving it starts to decrease and im thinking "my god she must floor the thing when Im not in it"

Is it safe to say that she is driving and using too much gas or am I just being paranoid because she is driving in the city and its caused by something in the air? Or do you need to warm the car up before you drive it when its been parked for over 7 hours?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi guys

My gf usually drops me off at work and takes the car and Ive been noticing that my gas is unusually low when I get the car back from her even though she works about 10 mins from me.

I taught her how to use that meter thing and I jumped in the car and she said "theres something wrong with your car, I tried to reset that average thing you showed me and it and it kept going up"

So I check it and its at like 30 a number I have never ever seen in my life since I picked the car up from the dealer and sure enough as soon as we stop at the lights it starts going up to 40 so I rev it and it goes up to 50 per 100kms.

Then as I keep driving it starts to decrease and im thinking "my god she must floor the thing when Im not in it"

Is it safe to say that she is driving and using too much gas or am I just being paranoid because she is driving in the city and its caused by something in the air? Or do you need to warm the car up before you drive it when its been parked for over 7 hours?

Thanks in advance.
1. You are nuts letting your GIRLFRIEND drive your car mate i dont even let my WIFE drive my car and i'm sort of a bit more locked into my deal if you know what i mean. Verdict here is you should be telling her get a flippin cab from your work otherwise if you're still in "i gotta impress this bird" mode then drive her to work and drop her off then pick her up after your work ends later. Kapish?

2. I've reset my figures and started the car before then let it warm up for 3-4min and it's hit 50L/KM but it soon goes down real quick once you start driving. I'd advise her to stop resetting it every time she gets in the car. It's not a nintendo.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Another one of those "Don't let women drive your 300 threads".

Give me a break, she prolly just got stuck in traffic.

Mine got up to 18 in the city today, normally at 15.

I am a female.

I own a 300C hemi

I love it

And after reading this stuff, am considering not letting any guys drive it, coz they might wreck it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Another one of those "Don't let women drive your 300 threads".

Give me a break, she prolly just got stuck in traffic.

Mine got up to 18 in the city today, normally at 15.

I am a female.

I own a 300C hemi

I love it

And after reading this stuff, am considering not letting any guys drive it, coz they might wreck it.
Yeah like my missus wrecked my front spoiler the other day. G:twak: RRRRRRR

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I'd advise her to stop resetting it every time she gets in the car. It's not a nintendo.
:laughing:

Does she switch the engine off while she's at work??

.. But in all seriousness, its probably just the traffic causing the meter to creep. Engine running, vehicle stationary - fuel usage but no distance travelled. The A.I. of an evic has its limits.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
174 Posts
Make sure she's not bumping the gear stick to the far left and driving around everywhere in first gear. That'll set the consumption sky high.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Show her how the funny *hand* brake works. Tell her it goes faster when you release it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it, high fuel milage is probibly cause shes in stop and go traffic or maby at lunch time she uses a drive thru or whatever and even if shes driving it hard so what thats what the hemi is for.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it, high fuel milage is probibly cause shes in stop and go traffic or maby at lunch time she uses a drive thru or whatever and even if shes driving it hard so what thats what the hemi is for.
That's not "high fuel mileage", but high fuel consumption.

It's normal for cold engines and city traffic.

Don't look at it everytime the car is standing still, you'll feel better.

Also, drive her to work before there is a problem!:-(

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you can get the movie "Ferris Bueler's Day Off" the scene where the parking lot attendants take the Ferrari for a spin may shed light on this situation.......just kidding.....!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
If you can get the movie "Ferris Bueler's Day Off" the scene where the parking lot attendants take the Ferrari for a spin may shed light on this situation.......just kidding.....!
I hope she doesn't try the fix to remove the miles from the odometer!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
What you are reporting here is "average" fuel consumption. If you reset the trip and then grind around in traffic or sit idling of course it is going to skyrocket. You should reset the trip at a minimum each time you fill the tank.

Some owners never reset so they get a reading for the whole time they own the car (or they never learn how to reset it, or are too lazy to reset it, or couldn't give a sh!t anyway).

Do not bother letting it warm up. This will only aggravate the high fuel usage and make it worse.

·
Registered
655 Posts
it measures the avg over 500km so if you are constantly resetting it then ofcourse you will be getting sh1t figures.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks in advance.
It's an average from when you last reset it, so if she/you reset it ll the time and you are caught in traffic, or just idle it a bit the fuel use with say stupid figures. Leave it be for a week and that will give you a much better average. I drive mine very uneconomically (ie: I floor it at every lights, and every hole in the traffic) and I get about 17-20/100. And my fuel bill confirms this useage. So she is probably trying to be good to you by resetting it a lot and then getting false figures.
And don't listen to others telling you not to let her drive it, if you are in a long term relationship I am sure you know each otehr well enough to know how you each are. If on the other hand you only just met them (male or female) I wouldnt trust them with a barge pole because the car has a way of tempting you into being a hoon :) *damn I lkove taht about teh 300C*

·
Registered
499 Posts
I reset only when filling up. Have no problems with reading. Only problem is I fill up too often. If you are worried about fuel consumption buy a small buzz box.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's an average from when you last reset it, so if she/you reset it ll the time and you are caught in traffic, or just idle it a bit the fuel use with say stupid figures...
Thanks Magnii and to everyone else for their comments. I’m a noob to new cars, cause this is the first time ive had a car that measures things like that. If I sat down and actually thought about it, it actually does make sense as to why its so high when taking into account what when and how.

I trust my gf not to speed and we just had our 10 yr anniversary. Shes actually a really good driver because I’ve taught her since we were young about avoiding things that cause unnecessary wear and tear like pot holes, slowly over speed bumps, unnecessary use of throttle to accelerate when you cant go anywhere due to cars being in front and engine braking to reduce brake wear and tear.

The only thing that scares the hell out of me is when shes turning through a tight corner cause we’ve never had a such a tank of a car before.

But now after reading all your guys comments Ive learnt that 1 - you reset at fill and don’t touch it and it will give you a realistic reading. Thanks guys for the help cause I hate blaming my gf for stuff when shes done nothing wrong. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
yeah 50 and 40 are ok.... i have a photo of mine sitting in melbourne city traffic which went up to 75.6 Ltr per 100KM, and its funny as soon as i stop in traffic it goes up but as soon as i move it goes back down.... i dont think its using that much so dont worry about it too much. i belive its just a lil dumb thing with the 300C that does it.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I trust my gf not to speed and we just had our 10 yr anniversary. Shes actually a really good driver because I’ve taught her since we were young about avoiding things that cause unnecessary wear and tear like pot holes, slowly over speed bumps, unnecessary use of throttle to accelerate when you cant go anywhere due to cars being in front and engine braking to reduce brake wear and tear.

The only thing that scares the hell out of me is when shes turning through a tight corner cause we’ve never had a such a tank of a car before.

But now after reading all your guys comments Ive learnt that 1 - you reset at fill and don’t touch it and it will give you a realistic reading. Thanks guys for the help cause I hate blaming my gf for stuff when shes done nothing wrong. :)
10 years and she's a good driver, sounds like a keeper..... Propose already!!:biggrin: !!

Hehe

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Magnii and to everyone else for their comments. I’m a noob to new cars, cause this is the first time ive had a car that measures things like that. If I sat down and actually thought about it, it actually does make sense as to why its so high when taking into account what when and how.

Yeah mate the turning circle of the 300C is huge. It is because it is a long wheel base veicle (big distance between from and rear tyres), but you get used to it. I always deliberately overshoot parking places and then reverse back a bit so that I have a straight shot at it.
Gratz on the 10years mate, give the missus a kiss for me (no lower). :biggrin:
Ooops, sorry mate I couldnt resist that cheeky comment. Bad Andrew :twak:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts